Forum

iFools'Nook - user feedback

General Macclesfield Wheelers related discussion.

iFools'Nook - user feedback

Postby dharbott » Tue Mar 27, 2012 8:43 pm

I've not seen much discussion on-line about the new iFools'Nook (on-line edition of Fools Nook), so I thought I'd start some:
Cris Towner is the editor, and I think he's making a great job of it, but are you making the most of it? Perhaps more importantly, do you know how to make the most of it? I suspect there are quite a few members out there who don't really understand how to.

I'm not going to go into all the technical options and possibilities here. I probably don't know the half of it anyway, however I will discuss one excellent way of accessing iFools'Nook that you may not be aware of:

1. Do you have a smartphone or tablet (iPhone or Android)?
2. If yes, to you have a newsreader application installed on it? I use one called PULSE (available for iPhone or Android).
3. You can add the iFools'Nook news feed directly to newsreaders like PULSE by using the link below:
http://web.me.com/crispin.towner/Fools_Nook/Fools_Nook/rss.xml
4. You can then read iFools'Nook anytime (on your phone or tablet) without ever having to run a browser and log onto the site, and you automatically get all the new updates.

A newsreader really is a great way to keep up to date with what's happening. You can install a newsreader onto your normal laptop/PC if you wish, like google newsreader (though not PULSE).
You could also add the Macclesfield Wheelers forum to newsreaders (it's just another RSS feed). http://macclesfieldwheelers.org.uk/rss/recentposts.xml
If anyone needs my help, let me know and I'd be happy to assist.

Cris is going an excellent job of producing Macclesfield Wheelers newsworthy editorial in iFools'Nook.
However, the production of a paper based version is really a separate job role. So, the committee would be very happy to hear from anyone who may be willing to help produce a paper based version. In the meantime (or more likely instead of) make the most of what we have. Thanks Cris.
David Harbottle
Macclesfield Wheelers General Secretary 2009 to 2014
dharbott

Re: iFools'Nook - user feedback

Postby MrT » Fri Mar 30, 2012 8:13 am

cheers to Dave for some good advice..(I've never used RSS feeds, but they look mighty useful)
MrT

Postby graham » Fri Mar 30, 2012 11:27 am

It definately needs some more publicity, I've only just realised its on the club website menu

Can someone email all members to make them aware ?
graham
graham

Postby dharbott » Fri Mar 30, 2012 1:08 pm

Personal thoughts on Fools Nook: open for further discussion.

I have to agree that we need to publicise iFools'Nook to the membership - and quite a few other things too.

Which leads me to a possibly contentious issue:
Regardless of how good our website, facebook page, forum, iFools'Nook etc are, I'm coming to the conclusion that there is still a need for some kind of paper based mailshot sent out to the membership on occasion. Note: I'm not trying to resuscitate a paper based Fools Nook here.

We still send out the AGM notifications by mail (and will continue to). This contains a little club news e.g. announcing the annual prize presentation. This is not an onerous task.

To me, It would make sense to send out a paper based bulletin once or twice a year - which might include some critical information, like the events list, membership renewals, advertising iFools'Nook.

So, what do you think - and more importantly, is anyone interested in taking this task on?

........deafening silence...........?
David Harbottle
Macclesfield Wheelers General Secretary 2009 to 2014
dharbott

Postby roger j wrenn » Fri Mar 30, 2012 8:31 pm

Think the inooky is absolutely brilliant, content, layout, additional features video's a really professional
imagazine. Well done Chris
Cheers
  Roger
form is temporary
class is permanent
roger j wrenn
Forum Moderator

Return to General