Forum

Lark Ride

Club runs discussion

Re: Lark Ride

Postby Mike Roberts » Sat Mar 31, 2018 9:42 pm

Betley Tea Rooms is a new one for me...

Can you give me directions for it, please, Chris?
MBobs

AKA Mr Grub Street - whatever that implies!
Mike Roberts

Postby Chris C » Sat Apr 07, 2018 7:49 pm

Lark Ride to Hulme End 7 April

A trio of triathletes joined a brace of bicyclists today when Vikki brought along her (most welcome) pals Christine and Samid from the Stockport Tri Club to accompany Phil B and I on our jaunt through some of the finest countryside known to man, I mean known to people. Vikki was on astonishing form, shooting up every hill. Clearly running 75k in one go (I am not making this up) two weeks ago has done her no end of good. Back home for me at 4 pm, having averaged 10.6 mph for 50 miles and 4,600 feet (of climbing). May be able to squeeze in a short Lark Ride next week, ending in Goostrey so those that are able to can help at our Open 25 mile TT.
Chris C

Postby Chris C » Sun Apr 15, 2018 9:55 pm

Lark Ride to Great Budworth Sat 14 April

Seven riders: Dave L, Phil B, Pete J, John B, Cath, Janet H and me, five stopping at the café. My average speed home to home: 14.3 mph for 53 miles. Hilly ride in the sun next week I hope.
Chris C

Postby Chris C » Sat Apr 21, 2018 7:09 pm

Lark Ride to Monyash 21 Apr

A Baker’s Dozen Larks today: Phil, me, Simon Rob, Eddie, Andrew, Pete J, Russell, Tim, Oliver, Mark Boo, Steve P, Janet and new member Snowy. Welcome to Lark Lark Land, Snowy. And Dave L joined us for the café. My average speed? Haven’t a clue as my Garmin switched itself off mid-ride. The Peak District on a day like today? Surely this is God’s own country?
Chris C

Postby Chris C » Sat Apr 28, 2018 9:29 pm

Lark Ride to Blakemere Village 28 Apr

One dozen Larkers today, freshly baked: Snapper Calamanan, Janet, Steve and Eddie, Mark Boo, Phil B, Vikki (fresh from South Park's inaugural Park Run at 9.00 am), welcome to the Lark Ride Adam, welcome back for Week Two Samid, Simon Rob, Andrew and me, with a chance guest appearance by Andy J for a few miles on our outward leg. My average speed for 61 miles - 14.8 mph. Loved every minute.
Chris C

Postby Chris C » Sat May 12, 2018 9:09 pm

Lark Ride to Bridgemere 12 May

I was delighted to see 11 riders waiting for me as I casually bunny-hopped the sleeping policeman guarding the gate at the South Park Centre of Saturday Sporting Excellence this morning. Then my cup overflowed when we were joined by two more as my digital watch noiselessly struck the hour. So 14 set out, 13 got to the café and my average speed for 64 miles was a target-busting 15.6 mph. Thank you for making my Saturday to: Steve L, John B, Simon Rob, Paul F, Robin J, Eddie G, Mike C, Andrew R, Vikki M, Janet H, Steve P, Paul R and (welcome to) Stewart W.
Chris C

Postby Chris C » Sun May 20, 2018 7:36 am

Lark Ride to Hathersage 19 May

Nine royalist refusenik riders: Monica, Mike C, Mark Boo, Andrew R, John B, me Chris C, Steve P, Russell and welcome to my colleague Sam. My average speed (including descending the Cat) was 13.0 mph for the 58 miles (and about one vertical mile of climbing) from the park to home. I don’t know about anyone else but I was pretty tired when I got home at 4.00 pm. Sam added a return trip to and from Knutsford. Flat ride next week I reckon. Great to see South Park being such an exercise hub each Sat morning. Its new 9.00 am Park Run is attracting an extraordinary 350 runners a week: http://www.parkrun.org.uk/macclesfield/
Chris C

Postby Chris C » Mon May 28, 2018 8:31 am

Lark Ride to Wheelock 26 May

Good things. Good cycling weather and 12 riders: Mark M, Mark Boo, Russell, John B, Carl, Steve B, Andrew R, me and welcome to the Lark Ride to Richard T, Elliot, new member Ian R and a newly rebuilt Simon G. 54 miles. Anyone clock our average speed (I reset my Garmin after lunch)?

Not so good things: going the wrong way shortly before the café and shortly after it (ride leader really needs to up his game), long slow queue at café, er nothing else really.

Hilly ride next week if weather OK. I’m thinking possibly Bagnall, possibly Winkhill.
Chris C

Postby Chris C » Fri Jun 01, 2018 9:23 pm

Lark Ride to Waterhouses 10 am Sat 2 June

Cafe congestion forces new route, and I have ironed out some of the more unkind climbs on the way home, now only 4,900 feet - special June offer - save 300 feet.

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/27667415
Chris C

Postby Chris C » Mon Jun 04, 2018 10:03 pm

Lark Ride to Waterhouses Sat 2 June

Seven riders: Mike C, Mark B, Monica, Steve B, Russell, Andrew and me, Chris C. Russell even did the Park Run at 9.00 am and was so fast he still had time to jog home, have a shower and download the route before getting back for 10.00 am. Ave speed 12.6 mph. Slowest rider up every hill: Moi. Fastest rider up every hill, by a country mile: Mon.

Flat ride next week.
Chris C

Postby Chris C » Sat Jun 30, 2018 7:48 pm

Lark Ride to Bunbury, Sat 30 June

A brisk pace out meant we reached the café yonks ahead of schedule, averaging 16.7 mph for the 33 miles, me thinking how fit I must be until someone pointed out the substantial tailwind. Excellent service, a reserved table and large helpings at Tilleys in the beautiful village of Bunbury. With some lanes that were new to me, this was looking to be a perfect ride, until the heat started bouncing off the road and we faced the wind on the 36 mile return leg, all jaded enough by Redesmere to stop for cold drinks and ice creams. We were: Simon G, Dave L, Simon Rob (going up hills like a train), Mark Boo (big thank you for leading the last two rides), Russell, Andrew and me, so seven of us (nine until Middlewich when Rachel and Simon S left us for a training ride to the pub, well they were planning a TWO HOUR RUN tomorrow). My average speed for 67 miles - an on target 15.2 mph. Pretty perfect really.
Chris C

Postby Chris C » Sun Jul 08, 2018 7:35 am

Lark Ride to Longnor, Sat 7 July

I fielded a strong starting 11 yesterday: two up front, Jamie and Russell, with Mark Boo, Steve B, Janet, Vikki, Pete J and Mike C in midfield and Simon Rob, Andrew and myself at the back (me emphatically at the back on the energy sapping, baked bean laden, post half-time ascent of Dowell Dale). My average speed to the top of the Cat, where we added substitutes Mike S and Eddie, was 11.5 mph: an excellent result. Rematch next week, but we’re going to stay with a 9.00 am start while the weather’s good: a little cooler and hopefully less crowded in the cafes.
Chris C

Postby Chris C » Mon Jul 16, 2018 7:35 am

Lark Ride to Dunham, Sat 14 Jul

Nine wide awake riders at the early kick-off nine o’clock Lark Ride to Dunham on Sat: Mark Boo, Janet H, Moi, Andrew R, Mike C, John B, Louis, Simon Rob and Pete J. Brilliant not too hot weather. Café at 11.00 am, back in Macc two hours later, just about 10 mins too late to join the 1.00 pm Club Run for anyone that hadn’t scheduled an afternoon of domestic chores. My average speed Macc to Macc: 14.6 mph. 9.00 am next week: we'll be heading up country.
Chris C

Postby Chris C » Sun Jul 22, 2018 9:17 am

Lark Ride to Hulme End, Sat 22 July 2018, 0900 hours sharp

A smartly turned out eight-strong exaltation of larks turned out on the Park Grove parade ground for reveille at 0900 hours yesterday before setting out for Hulme End: Major Mike C, Adjutant Andrew ‘Two Cakes’ R*, Private Pete J, Ride Leader Colonel Christopher C, VOOB** with Bar, Major-General Mark Boo, VAD Vikki ‘Mountain Goat’ M, Sapper Janet H and Warrant Officer Oliver J.

We established Base Camp at Hulme End Tea Station for 1130 hours, securing a table at 1131 hours after mopping up with only a little collateral damage amongst the civilians, safely back in the Macclesfield sector for just after 1400 hours, average speed no idea as my Garmin was in sulk mode, so thanks to Major-General Booth for calling the turns, or we would still be out there. Garmin has been put on a charge and threatened with a reset or 10 days in the glasshouse so we should be good to continue exercises next week. If not, we’ll do circuits of the car park.

* To be fair, the second cake defeated him so he doggy-bagged the remainder and stuffed it in his sock to share with the group on the descent of Hidden Lane. Strangely no one accepted his generosity. Where is Hidden Lane? Well, you’ll just have to come out with us next time to find out.

** Venerable Order of Old Buffers.
Chris C

Postby Chris C » Sun Jul 29, 2018 9:34 am

Lark Ride to Lordsley - Sat 28 July

Once more unto the breach dear friends, or at least Hungers Heath Farm. We were in the Maer Hills on a Saturday morning? Where are the Maer Hills? Well you should have come with us yesterday to find out (we were almost in Shropshire). We were: Steve P, Mike C, me, Mark Boo, Andrew R, Phil B and Monica E. Two of us were sporting on-trend orange socks, available here (plus £3.95 postage):
https://www.planetx.co.uk/…/sorbtek-socks-pick-and-mix-5-fo…
Second row is Planet X 365 Sorbtek socks: fluoro lime, fluoro orange and flouro pink. Orange is spot on, green ones are brighter than club kit green but still now an essential wardrobe accessory for every style-conscious Wheeler. Small - Med, UK 5-8, Large - XL, UK 9-12. Bottom row far right are Carnac Sorbtek Team Ireland, as modelled by Pete J but now sold out.

My average speed 14.6 mph (socks responsible for at least 0.01 mph).
Chris C

PreviousNext

Return to Club runs