Forum

Lark Ride

Club runs discussion

Lark Ride

Postby Chris C » Tue Dec 05, 2017 9:21 am

Stop press

Lark or owl? Sat club run at 1.00 pm a bit late for you? Something else to do in the afternoon? We're introducing a new Saturday Earlybird Ride just for you.

In our recent club survey several members said they'd like just such a ride. So we'll test it for a couple of months and see how it goes.

Here's the plan: about 50 miles if flat, less if hilly, social ride not a training ride, cafe stop of hopefully not more than 35 mins (cafe logistics permitting), nobody gets left behind (that means: nobody gets left behind). Start normally 9.00 am, back for 1.00 pm, target average speed 15 mph if flat, less if hilly, GPX routes published in advance.

But this Sat the forecast is zero degrees at 9.00 am, so unless it changes we'll start this one at 10.00 am, back by 2.00 pm. I'll publish the route later this week, when we can be clearer about the weather. Whatever the weather, our Inaugural Earlybird Saturday Ride will be flat. If the weather is really bad, we'll stick to main roads.

If you would like to lead some of these rides, please let me know. Hopefully we can grow this to have different groups at different speeds.

I can't wait til Saturday comes.
Chris C

Lark Ride

Postby Chris C » Sat Dec 09, 2017 10:30 am

Been out for a recce. Roads good, bit foggy so bring lights. Meet South Park. We ride at 10.00.
Chris C

Re: Lark Ride

Postby Chris C » Sun Dec 10, 2017 8:42 am

The Hardy Boys

In 1982 I was fortunate enough to win a five-week travelling scholarship to Northwestern University, Chicago, to study at the School of Advertising under Professor Vernon Fryburger (I am not making this up). I took extra classes examining, as luck would have it that semester, Role Models in American Literature, with a particular focus on the long-running and ever-popular series known as ‘The Hardy Boys’, a pair of brothers who appear in various mystery stories for children and teenagers.

Yesterday as I rode the snow-laden Cheshire Interstate with my own Hardy Boys, Phil B and Carl F, on the club’s inaugural Lark Ride, I looked back across more than 30 years to that dusty Chicago classroom and recalled the words of kindly old Professor Fryburger: “Critics have offered many explanations for the characters' longevity, suggesting variously that the Hardy Boys embody simple wish-fulfilment, ideals of boyhood and masculinity, a well-respected father paradoxically argued to be inept, and the possibility of the triumph of good over evil." Which pair of us, I wondered, were the boys and which one the father?
Chris C

Postby Chris C » Thu Dec 14, 2017 9:20 am

Forecast not looking great for a planned second ride this Sat. Unless the forecast 9.00 am temperature of -1 degrees improves I'm afraid we'll have to cancel it.
Chris C

Postby Chris C » Sat Dec 16, 2017 9:12 am

For clarity - today's 10.00 am Lark Ride cancelled - too freezy. My commute down Pexhell and Unsalty Lane yesterday morning just about my most unpleasant 45 mins on a bike since my last turbo session (circa 2010, and I don't mean ten past eight).
Chris C

Postby Chris C » Sat Jan 13, 2018 8:45 pm

Lark Ride to Nantwich

Really enjoyed my ride today and fantastic to see such a great turnout: Mike C, Mark B, welcome home Steve Beckett, Adele, Vicci, Robin, John Black, Eddie, Steve H, Steve P, Phil, Andrew R, Andy R, new member Janet H, Paul AJ (in much demand with our four punctures), Carl and me, so 17 in all. My average speed about 14.3 mph. Rang the café from the carpark to tell them that the expected six of us would be rather more, to be told that their water was off, so we went to Aqueduct Marina instead, where they saved the day. Thanks again to Paul AJ for suggesting we split into two groups after Church Minshull and taking the slightly slower group. Home for about 3.45, later than planned, but hey ho, what better way can there be to spend a Saturday?
Chris C

Postby Chris C » Sun Jan 21, 2018 8:02 am

Lark Ride to Shipbrookhill Sat 20 Jan.

Eight set out at 10.00: Monica, Dave Hi, Dave Lacey, Andrew, Vicci M, me Chris C, Steve B and welcome to Mike Hutchison, seven making to the café at about 40 miles. We chose Pexhill over Redesmere as the lesser of two evils for our final push into Macc. By home at 3.10 I’d clocked 60 miles at an average 14.9 mph, so pretty well bang on target. It was wet, but so what? I loved the ride. Thanks to Dave H for suggesting the route.
Chris C

Postby Chris C » Sun Jan 28, 2018 9:53 am

Lark Ride to Bagnall Sat 27 Jan

Ten riders on the Lark Ride to Bagnall yesterday: Dave Hi, me, Eddie, Janet H, Steve P, Phil B, Andrew R, Vikki M, Mark B and Mike C. I averaged 11.5 mph for 42 miles. The presence of a native guide in the party (Dave) enabled us to miss the no doubt crud-filled lane to Cheddleton and divert through the delights of Denford instead. Top move! Reckon we’ll have us a flat ride next week and, you know, I just can’t wait. 50 - 60 miles, target average speed 15 mph, we won’t drop anyone. Hope you can join us. Train leaves South Park at 10.00 am sharp.
Chris C

Postby Chris C » Sun Feb 04, 2018 9:49 am

Lark Ride to Delamere 3 Feb

After limbering up with producing a new copy of the club rules (it’s a tough job but someone has to do it) to incorporate the amends agreed by the last AGM, and available soon on our website (don’t all rush at once or the server might crash), I was delighted to be joined on the club’s nascent 10.00 am Lark Ride yesterday by four others (that makes five in total in case, like me, sums are not your strong suit - I always maintain that there are three types of cyclist: those that can count and those that can’t). Let’s name the names: Monica (gently warming up for today’s edition in her Sunday Winter training ride Series, which it’s so good to see the club’s faster and fitter brethren turning out for so religiously and enthusiastically), Steve ‘n’ Eddie and Mark Boo.

Did I love it? Yes sir: 15.7 mph average for 64.5 miles home to home, and, as we climbed the Holy Mountain (Mount Pex) I was so euphoric that I even kept going to the top, disregarding, for the first time in many a ride, the call of Cop Out Lane. The fastest café service ever seen (Delamere Café, the one further back, not the Station one, and soya milk available too), together with a family asking for our table as I chased the last baked bean around my plate, meant that, despite my extra loop, I was still home for 14.40 and with enough energy for the Aldi and Sainsbury’s run to crown a perfect day.
Chris C

Postby Chris C » Sun Feb 11, 2018 9:52 am

Lark Ride to Dunham 10 Feb

Seven of us out on the Lark Ride to Dunham yesterday morning, although not actually all at the same time. Steve P, who had to leave early, Dave Hi, who caught us up just as we were parking our bikes at the cafe, Phil B, who we caught up en route after nearly an hour’s riding, Adele, Andrew R, Mark Boo and me. Great home-made baked beans (and soya milk) at the very welcoming Red House Farm. We abandoned the planned return leg in favour of a less urban alternative: thanks to Dave and Phil for navigating us back, including along some (perhaps unforeseen) lanes that I imagine none of us had ever done in our lives.

I had a hot date with a spot of essential retailing so, in direct contravention of this ride’s stated ethic, I permitted myself to go off the front at Knutsford, from where Dave and Mark towed me home at what was for me a blistering pace, but no doubt a mere pootle for Dave (I made it to the shop before it closed, thanks guys). Hence my average speed home to home was 14.0 mph for 61 miles. Next Sat we’ll have a shortish flat ride, say 40 miles, so we save ourselves for Sunday’s Barry Hyde Circuit of the Edge.
Chris C

Postby Chris C » Sat Feb 17, 2018 11:54 pm

Lark Ride to Congleton 17 Feb - the stats

Seven riders: me, Phil B, Janet H, John B, Cath, welcome to Brian M and welcome to Andrew X. The Flying Scotsman was waiting for us in the café. 13.6 mph ave speed for 43 miles, back in time to wash my bike for tomorrow.
Chris C

Postby Chris C » Sat Feb 24, 2018 3:53 pm

Lark Ride to Alsager Sat 24 Feb

Great ride in the sun today: Mark Boo, Oliver, Pete J, Phil B, Janet H, welcome back to Mark M, Darren and me = 8 riders at a target-smashing average speed of 15.6 mph. Absolutely brilliant. "This, surely, is as good a Saturday as you can get on two wheels" (unrequested testimonial from A. Rider).
Chris C

Postby Chris C » Sun Mar 25, 2018 8:39 am

Lark Ride to Broadbottom

Ten Larks made it to our reserved table at Broadbottom’s busy Lymefield Garden Centre at 12.45 yesterday after one puncture and more hills than you could shake a spoke at: Janet H (joined the club 2018), Simon Rob, Mark M, Rob S (all 2017), Steve P, Russell, Pete J and Mike C (all 2015), Oliver (2014) and me (2005), with an early appearance by the evergreen Mike Bobs (probably before records began, but go on Mike: when was it?).

Great group, great ride, notwithstanding traffic on our return through Charlesworth and Marple. My average speed back to Macc 11.5 mph, 4,000 feet of climbing. No idea why my Garmin recorded 6,000 feet. Perhaps because it felt like 6,000.
Chris C

Postby Mike Roberts » Sun Mar 25, 2018 12:06 pm

Per my response on the Facebook group page, 'Lark':

It was with deep regret that I could not match your tempo up Rainow Road.

Consequently, as appropriately messaged to you, I u-turned and made for Cheshire, snack lunching at The Lavender Barn café, Dunham Massey, returning home before 3.30 p.m. having clocked 57-miles at 12.9mph.

Regards MBobs

PS I joined the Wheelers early in 1968.
MBobs

AKA Mr Grub Street - whatever that implies!
Mike Roberts

Postby Chris C » Sat Mar 31, 2018 8:07 pm

Lark Ride to Betley 31 Mar

Team Lark played its away fixture today with 10 men (well, nine plus Cath). A puncture meant we missed a possible café scramble for seats with our friends from Congleton Cycling Club, who were in any case coming in the opposite direction as we approached the Betley Tea Rooms, having graciously left plenty of cakes for us. And I needn’t have worried anyway as the café was quite big enough. We were: Cath, Mark Boo (anticipating a Mods and Rockers type showdown with CCC), an on-form Dave L, Mike C, Steve B, welcome back to Lark Ride Two to new member Mike Hutchinson, Phil B, Andrew R, Steve P and me, Chris C. Average speed? Haven’t a clue as I fiddled with my Garmin at the café and the three other riders I asked at the summit of Mount Pesky all gave similar excuses. Anyway it was a lovely ride and yes, with God’s grace, I expect to be out again next week. Don't miss it.
Chris C

Next

Return to Club runs