Forum

RIDDEN A TIME TRIAL THIS YEAR? WE MAY HAVE AN AWARD FOR YOU

Time Trials discussion (Club and Open)

RIDDEN A TIME TRIAL THIS YEAR? WE MAY HAVE AN AWARD FOR YOU

Postby mattyardley » Fri Oct 06, 2017 5:08 pm

The Club makes a number of awards every year for all kind of racing. These are summarised in the Club Handbook on the website (http://www.macclesfieldwheelers.org.uk/ ... ndbook.pdf). As TTSec I’m responsible for determining the winners of the Club’s time trial and hill-climb awards. There are some awards for which the winners are already known (i.e. our own Club TT events, including hill-climbs), but there are others for which riders need to make a claim (this is because it’s not straightforward at present to track all Club riders’ results at a national level). So, if you’ve ridden any time trials this year, please continue reading to see if you could join the prestigious Macclesfield Wheelers time trialists’ Hall of Fame and get your name engraved on some very fine silverware ;)

If you wish to make a claim then please contact me directly and I will send you a spreadsheet-based claim form to fill out.

For next year I’d like to keep the list of potential claimants ‘live’ through the year (for as many awards as possible) and publish it on the website and Facebook so people can see what’s needed to get an award. Hopefully this will also spur people on to achieve greater (i.e. faster) things. Of course, this will require you to keep me abreast of your TT results as and when they happen. I’ll update everyone on how this could work in a future post.

Best all rounder (“BAR”) and similar composite awards
Some years ago the Club BAR mirrored the national BAR and included TTs at 100 miles and 12 hours. However, these we dropped from the Club BAR as fewer and fewer people participated in the longer events. Nevertheless, the Club BAR still represents a significant award for any time trialist to aim for.

Club Championship Trophy (BAR) – to the member with the highest average speed at time trial distances of 10, 25 and 50 miles in Club, Association or Open events. Last years’ winner: Mike Knudsen @ 27.055mph.

Barnett-Cass Trophy (Junior BAR) – to the Junior member (between 16 and 18 years old) with the highest average speed at 10 and 25 miles in any Club, Association or Open Event. Last years’ winner: Matt Burt @ 27.272mph.

Ladies Championship Trophy – to the Lady member with the highest average speed at 10 and 25 miles in any Club, Association or Open Event. Last years’ winner: Ruth Gamwell @ 24.826mph.

Ladies BAR Championship – to the lady member with the fastest average speed at time trial distances of 10, 25 and 50 miles. Last years’ winner: Ruth Gamwell @ 24.127mph.

Veterans BAR Championship – to the veteran member (over 40 years old) with the greatest “plus” on VTTA standards at distances of 10, 25 and 50 miles. Last years’ winner: Mike Knudsen, +39:31.

Allan Clarke Snr Trophy – to veteran with the greatest “plus” on VTTA standards at 10 and 25 miles. Last years’ winner: Roger Wrenn, +27:10.

Season’s fastest awards
These do what they say on the tin. There are three awards, two at 25 miles and one at 50 miles.

J. R. Peacock 25 Mile Trophy – to the member who achieves the fastest 25 mile time trial in the season. Last years’ winner: Mike Knudsen, 52:55 (28.346 mph).

G. Wardle Memorial 50 Mile Trophy – to the member who achieves the fastest 50 mile time trial in the season. Last years’ winner: Mike Knudsen, 2:01:42 (24.637 mph).

May White Trophy – to the member with the fastest time in the Club’s Open 25 mile time trial. Last years’ winner: Chris Quin. This year’s winner is Will Kershaw @ 56:54 (26.362mph) – congratulations Will!

Handicap awards
Handicaps attempt to normalise results based on either age or in the case of our own Club 10s on personal bests. There’s no need for you to calculate the handicap times (that’s for me to do) so if you’ve ridden events that qualify below then please make a claim.

Philip Whitmore 10 Mile time trial Handicap Trophy – to the member who is the overall handicap winner of the Club’s Wednesday evening 10 mile time trial series of events (based on highest points placings in 50% of the number of events). Last years’ winner: Sian Hughes. This year’s winner is Pete Jackson – congratulations Pete!

Handicap Championship – to the first claim member with the highest net average speed based on handicap times over 25, 50 and 100 miles (25 and 50 miles on J courses only; 100 miles on J , D , K & L courses only). Last years’ winner: Ruth Gamwell.

Ladies Handicap Championship Trophy – to the lady member with the highest net average speed based on handicap times over 10, 25, and 50
miles on J courses only. Last years’ winner: Ruth Gamwell.

The Albert Brough Trophy – to the member with the best handicap performance in a 50 mile time trial selected by the Committee. Last years’ winner: Ruth Gamwell.

School age awards (between 14 and 16 years old)
There are two specific awards for school age riders, neither of which were claimed last year.

B. Lawton School age 10 mile Trophy – to the school age member achieving the highest average speed based on three 10 mile time trial performances. No one made a claim last year.

School age 25 mile Trophy – to the school age member achieving the fastest 25 mile time trial in the season. Last years’ winner: No one made a claim last year.

“Standard” awards
If you beat a specific time at a TT distance then you can claim an award. For example, for a senior rider, the “gold” standard for 25 miles is 58 minutes – go under that time and you quality for a gold award; similarly, the “bronze” standard for 10 miles for a junior rider is 27 minutes – go under that time and you quality for a bronze award. Full details of all standard times are in the Club handbook, link above.

Other awards
Shrewsbury and back Trophy - to the member recording the fastest time in the current season. One or more riders may attempt the distance at a given time provided the Time Trial Secretary is duly notified and reliable timekeepers are nominated in advance. No one attempted this last year or this year as far as I’m aware.
Apologies if there are any errors in the above, it’s my first look at Club awards and it’s not that straightforward! Please give me a shout if you have any questions.
Matt Yardley
Time Trial Secretary
Macclesfield Wheelers
ttsec@macclesfieldwheelers.org.uk
07766 058 242
mattyardley

Return to Time Trials