Forum

Saturday Club Run (Road)

Club runs discussion

Re: Saturday Club Run (Road)

Postby fpdave » Mon Jul 10, 2017 2:36 pm

5 intrepid adventurers set off from Macclesfield to cram as many hills as possible in to the short distance (as the crow flies, which we were not), between Macclefield and Chestnut Centre. We did pretty well; Blaze Hill, Pym Chair, Buxton Old Road, Castle Naze (Combs), Peak Forest, then Sparrowpit to Chestnut Centre. Home was via Hayfield, to top of Monks Road, up to Ludworth Moor, Marple Bridge and back via the newly re-opened Middlewood Road. 58 miles and 2000 m of climbing.

The adventurers were Richard D, Adam Smith (newish guy), Graham W, David R, Gordon.
fpdave

Postby Chris C » Thu Jul 20, 2017 9:41 pm

Ride to Snowdrop Cafe 15 July

21 of us out last week in two groups: James, Paul D and Gordon added some hills, and the rest of us stayed low, we being Pete, Daves Haley and Harbottle, Andrew, Andy J, Vikki, Colin, Sam, Roger, me, Mick, Fred, Andy B, Joe Senior, Greg, Elliot, welcome back Alex C-W and big welcome to Claire D, out with us for the first time and not only riding 11 miles from home to the start but insisting on riding back to Macc with us fully intending to ride 11 miles home again, thus certainly achieving more miles than anyone in the social-pace group (which split into two). Hilly ride this weekend, thanks to Andy B for creating our route, which you can access from the home page but here it is anyway: https://ridewithgps.com/routes/23344169

Fancy creating a route? Just let me know.
Chris C

Postby Chris C » Sun Jul 23, 2017 9:51 am

Here’s a report from Groupo C of our Saturday Road Club Run on 22 July 2017. Thank you to Andy B for devising a great route and leading Group B (more later I hope but great to see so many people out including Ollie Smyth, aged 13 and out for his first Saturday Road Club Run having already joined several other Wheelers rides this summer, and welcome back to Mark Pilling, enjoying, I hope, a rare Saturday afternoon off showing people how to play Crazy Golf, or something like that).

I counted 12 of us as Groupo C left Base Camp but lost a couple off the front at the Coronation Street Interchange, after which Dave W made a requested break to try and catch Group B, leaving nine of us: me, Paul Roman (well done Paul, not by your own admission a natural climber, you nevertheless made it up every hill), the ever-effervescent Greg, welcome back to week two to Claire, welcome to father and son tandem team Phil and James Kitchman, Monsieur Jean Poussin and triathlete Lynda Cook (fresh from a 3k morning swim and warming up for a 14-mile Sunday morning run around the Cat n Fiddle, I am not making this up) and welcome back again after injury to Steve Porter.

Seven of us made it the 19.5 miles to Hartington at which I played the leader’s card and democratically persuaded my team to plump for an early café stop. The heavens opened as we crested the climb overlooking Pilsbury, after which James proved just how cold a 14-year old could get on the back of a tandem, later accepting Phil’s jacket on top of his own and, as we crossed Axe Edge, Greg’s ever-handy armwarmers. Sadly, James added to his misery on the descent of the Cat by coming off with Phil at Storey Corner, named after a Wheeler of that name took a tumble there a few years ago. Nothing broken I believe but plenty of road rash and Paul flagged down a passing motorist who kindly took the boy home, leaving Dad to ride the tandem the rest of the way solo. Wishing you both a quick recovery, guys, and hope to see you back with us soon.
Chris C

Postby fpdave » Mon Jul 24, 2017 2:34 pm

The faster group ("A"?) went to Chatsworth via Curbur Gap and then down Beeley before the cafe after 48 miles! The Beeley descent was wonderful and swoopy, worth the long roundabout route to get there.

Edensor is a somewhat upmarket cafe, but good cake. As we were finishing there were a few spots of rain (we'd sat outside), so we hid in the cafe for 10 minutes until it cleared. Then didnt have any more rain!

It was 77 miles by the time we got back to Macc, with a total of 7200ft of climbing.

6 riders out: Richard, James, Tom, Lewis, Paul Dean, Dave Roberts.
fpdave

Postby Chris C » Sat Jul 29, 2017 10:06 pm

18 riders out in the less fast group today for a really good 57 flat miles, marred only by the horror of getting to the cafe at 3.20 to find the staff just locking up and leaving, notwithstanding a notice on the door saying it was open until 4.00 and my telephone call on Thursday to advise that we would there between 3.00 and 3.30. No worry, Rob Shaw and Phil Bridge snapped into action and consulted their electronic wizardry and we sped along our planned route and arrived shortly before 4.00 at Riverside Organics, Shipbrook, the other side of Davenham, whose staff nobly saved the day. Phew, what a relief, since it is a truth universally acknowledged that a ride leader in want of a cafe will not be a ride leader for long. Great to see three ladies on this ride: Annick (aka Mrs C), Claire back for week 3 in a row and welcome back to new member Lucia. Welcome too to Stephen Fowler, out with us for the first time. My other companions not previously mentioned were Daves Higham, Haley and Werrell, Kevin T, Joe Senior, Fozzi, Brian E, Oliver, Paul F, Andrew and Graham. Really enjoyed the ride, in which the group was a model of courtesy and consideration for each other, thank you. Average speed (slower of the two groups that split on the way home) - 14.2 mph. Hilly ride next week, weather willing. "Surely the most fun you can have on a Saturday afternoon!": unsolicited testimonial from A Rider.
Chris C

Postby Simon Galgut » Sat Jul 29, 2017 10:53 pm

They locked the gates and took in the sign at 14:30. It was till open at 15:15 when I left.
Simon Galgut

Postby Chris C » Sun Jul 30, 2017 4:56 pm

Oh no, we just missed you. And it was your route we were following too!
Chris C

Postby Chris C » Thu Aug 03, 2017 7:12 am

A choice of two rides again for you this week, as part of our mission to get Macclesfield cycling: 40 miles and 3,000 feet of climbing or 61 miles and 6,000 feet of climbing. The choice is yours. Many thanks to Andy B and Dave R for creating and leading these rides. It would be great to see a few more people in the faster and further group again this week - numbers are steadily increasing and the evidence from the front line is that the regular faster riders don't actually bite. Go on, see if I'm not wrong.
Chris C

Postby Chris C » Sun Aug 06, 2017 7:01 am

Great to welcome three new riders out with the less fast group yesterday: Paul Sharp, who shot up Bosley Cloud like a man who had run the 2017 Manchester Marathon in 3 hours 8 mins (!), Vicci and Robin. They joined: new this summer Claire, new this year Tom G, new last year Andrew and Vikki, and nearly new Paul AJ, out for his second club ride in one day, having co-led the Saturday Social Ride in the morning, and actually making two appearances on our ride (don't ask), Andy B, Annick, Dave Haley, Greg, Simon R, Phil B and Oliver, oh and me. Many thanks to Andy for creating and leading the ride and for arranging the massive extended shower to last only while we were in the cafe. So 16 riders, my average speed 13 mph, home by about 5.30. And we added to the fun by testing ourselves with a freewheel competition, won by Oliver. Please sir, can I have some more?
Chris C

Postby Chris C » Fri Aug 11, 2017 7:23 am

Sat Road Club Run to Froghall (less fast group)
Route here:
https://ridewithgps.com/routes/24040613
'This has all the makings of a classic ride!' A. Rider.
Chris C

Postby Chris C » Sat Aug 12, 2017 9:53 pm

Very picturesque cafe, Hetty's Tea Shop, sat outside in the sun, delicious vegan courgette and avocado cake (very similar to carrot cake), oat milk available, some terrific rolling Staffordshire scenery and of course delightful company: Mick, Joe, Fred, Daves Werrell, Higham and Haley, Greg, Eddie, Oliver, Roger, Simon R and Andrew, so 13 of us made it to Hetty's, with a rare, albeit fleeting, earlier appearance by legendary Club Run Grandmaster, John 'LEL' Jackson. This is what Saturday afternoons are all about: you can keep the Trafford Centre.
Chris C

Previous

Return to Club runs