Forum

Saturday Club Run (Road)

Club runs discussion

Re: Saturday Club Run (Road)

Postby Chris C » Fri May 19, 2017 1:17 pm

Road Club Run - Saturday 20 May 2017 AD
We're off to High Legh Garden Centre. Route here:
https://ridewithgps.com/routes/16294727
Readers of that popular work of contemporary fiction known as the weather forecast may have noticed that there may be some rain tomorrow afternoon. So? We're the Wheelers, we ride in the rain.
Chris C

Postby Chris C » Sat May 20, 2017 6:17 pm

I'm a bit out of touch with this: just spent ages trying to remember the identity of our 12th man today, even going through the whole membership list, before realising that it was me. We fairly bowled along; OK so it rained a bit on the way out, we were at the cafe for 2.40, out again by 3.15 and back in Macc at the sign of the Broken Biscuit before 5.00, with the ride deliberately back-loaded to enjoy a longer route home in the sun. We were: Dave Haley, Rich, Steve, Eddie, Jamie, Tom G, Pete, Joe, Andrew, Fred, Mike C and, er, me. Beats a trip to the Trafford Centre any day. Mind you, even a couple of hours with a physics textbook would beat the Trafford Centre for me.

Vegan Corner
Soya milk available at today's cafe, High Legh Garden Centre :cheers:
Chris C

Postby Chris C » Thu May 25, 2017 9:51 pm

Bring your climbing legs this week, we're heading up country. With 5,188 planned feet of climbing, we'll be just 92 feet short of a vertical mile (let me do the maths for you, that's 5,280 feet), so I shall expect all self-respecting members to join me in reps of Park Lane at the end of the ride. All welcome.
:director:
https://ridewithgps.com/routes/13539439
Chris C

Postby Chris C » Mon May 29, 2017 8:38 pm

While 18 of us set out, I am of course far too discreet to disclose which 11 riders made it to the cafe. Choose your fantasy team from: Cath, Joe B, Dave R, Gordon, Matt B, James, Paul H, Paul A-J, Jeremy, John J, Warren, me, Paul D, Ant, Eddie, Brian R, Mike C and welcome back to Major Andy Bremner, who was of course one of the 11, as you might expect from a someone recently back from a six-month tour in Afghanistan. And the rest of us thought that riding in a storm was tough.
Chris C

Postby Chris C » Thu Jun 01, 2017 10:47 pm

66 mile flat ride this week to Cotebrook Shire Horse Centre. I can't wait.

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/21712701
Chris C

Postby Chris C » Sun Jun 04, 2017 9:36 am

A little bit of rain as our group approached the cafe yesterday, then it was raining as we got up to leave so we all caped up, only for the rain to stop before we pulled out of the car park. Of course the fast group was just about wrapped up when we got there, having allegedly ridden through and off all the way at an average of over 20 mph (and my group seemed quite fast at an overall ride average of 16 mph). Congratulations to Tom Green for stepping up to the fast group, and Jamie Heeds for being brave enough to join it for a second time, riding with Paul, James, Rich, Gordon, Ben R and Matt B. 'My' group was Cath (how we're going to miss you and Paul), Greg, Phil B, Andy J, Roger, Dave W, Dave Harbottle, Ant, Mick, welcome back Tom Yates, Mike C, Paul F, Eddie, Steve H and me. 23 riders, 66 miles, great ride, thank you for coming everyone.

Would you like to plan and lead a ride or two? Please let me know.

Hilly ride next week, unless the weather is foul.
Chris C

Postby Chris C » Sun Jun 11, 2017 8:19 am

Big thanks to Dave Roberts for planning not just one but two rides for us yesterday: 50 miles and 5,000 feet to Hope, and 70 miles and 7,000 feet to Eyam. Dave led the elite group of James, Rich, Gordon and Tom G, while my delightful companions were Andrew, Ant, Dave Haley and Ben. We had a great ride (my average speed 13 mph), arriving at Hope's Courtyard Café at bang on 3 pm and returning via the challenging climb out of Bradwell that, in 11 years of club runs, I had only hitherto descended, an excellent example of what happens when a fresh pair of eyes plans a ride. It would be great to have some more people planning and leading rides, please, even if it’s only one or two a year. I am happy to show anyone who needs it how to plan routes on RideWithGPS.

The most difficult part of ride leadership is estimating how many people will turn up. Yesterday we told the café to expect 20 and then called them from the car park to amend this to 5, to be told (nicely) that they had brought in an extra member of staff for us. Interrogation of the closed Facebook page today suggests that there were/are probably some regular club runners in Shropshire for the weekend. It’s great that we are a big club and have so much going on, but if there’s a large group going away, please could someone let me know so I can set expectations accordingly? It’ll help build good relationships with the cafes that we visit, all of whom are grateful to have advance warning of the likely size of the swarm of hungry Wheelers. Thank you.
Chris C

Postby fpdave » Sun Jun 11, 2017 8:57 am

I didnt feel very Elite from our cafe stop in Calver (Garden Centre) onward and we didn't make Eyam cafe, but apart from that and the unexpected rain in the last few hours all went to plan!

Route was:
Macc - Brickworks - Chapel - down Winnats - Hope - Yorkshire Bridge - Stanage - Froggatt - Calver cafe - Eyam - Peak Forest - Buxton - Goyt Valley - up the Street - Rainow - Macc (altho I went down Blaze Hill)

Stats: 70 miles ish, 7500ft of climbing
fpdave

Postby Chris C » Sun Jun 18, 2017 8:55 am

67 planned miles to Bridgemere Garden Centre yesterday although I haven't a clue what we actually did as I forgot to start my Garmin until we had done a few miles and I wisely heeded the en-route advice from my trusted senior counsel Mr Trotter to avoid Alsagers Bank after all, on the basis that I may be in contravention of the Trades Description Act having promoted the ride as 'flat'. Elite group: Gordon, Rich, James, Jeremy, Louis, James, Dominic and Ben R. Mere mortals group: Pete, Daves W, Higham, Harbottle and Haley, Steves H & L, Mick, Joe, Greg, Brian R, Tom B, Andrew, Roger and me. And good to have Steve P ride out with us for the first 10 miles or so, returning after a six-month lay-off following injury. So that's 24 in my (Maths Exercise) book. Cafe: enormous, pleasantly cool, self-service iced water available, soya milk option, £1.80 for a can of fizz, had to accept a 5p donation from the kind lady behind me in the queue after the plea that I was over the authorisation limit on my pocket money fell on deaf ears. Hilly ride next week.
Chris C

Postby Chris C » Fri Jun 23, 2017 10:50 pm

Tension is mounting as we approach Cycle Saturday on 1 July. There'll be loads going on from 10.00 am in the Market Place to celebrate the start of Le Tour and we've got our own Grand Depart at 1.00 pm. Not been out with us before? This would be a great ride to try. 49 miles, mostly flat, with cafe stop. Ave speed about 15 mph. Don't forget we're starting at Market Place, so go to South Park and you'll be waiting a long time.
:cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
Chris C

Postby Chris C » Sun Jun 25, 2017 8:03 am

Just five of us on the Saturday club run yesterday, so we all went on the longer of the two advertised rides, to Tissington. What did I learn? 1) How good it is to ride lanes and roads that I had never been along in my life. 2) What a delightful location Herbert's Fine English Tea Rooms is. 3) How hard I found the 63.6 miles from car park to home at an average of 13.6 mph and 6,891 feet of climbing, including the final ascent of the slope on my drive (approximately 0.1%). My companions were: the ever-fresh Dave R, who devised and led the ride (thank you Dave), Steve L, fresh from leaving his bike well alone since last week's club run, Ben R, fresh from a 40 mile warm-up immediately before our ride, and Gordon, fresh from his wedding the day before. Congratulations Gordon.
:wav:
Don't forget that next week's ride starts at the Town Hall in Market Place as part of the Council's Cycle Saturday initiative to celebrate the start of the Tour de France. We'll leave at 1.00 pm as usual (the Town Crier is going to start us off) but it would be great if as many people as possible could be there from 12.30 or earlier to show Macclesfield what a substantial club we are and just how good a middle-aged man can look in orange lycra. The ride will be open to up to 10 non-members.
Chris C

Postby amf1966 » Wed Jun 28, 2017 6:49 pm

Hi Chris
I hope to be able to join you all for the start and a few early miles, my daughter has just bought a bike and would like to join with me for the first few miles too, hope this is ok?
Cheers - Andrew Ford
amf1966

Postby Chris C » Thu Jun 29, 2017 8:30 am

Of course Andrew. I was, in fact, thinking of you just the other day. You and your daughter will of course both be most welcome. Unfortunately I shall not be there myself, and someone else will lead the ride. There is of course also a 14-mile adult ride at 10.15 led by Jill, Andy J and Simon R as part of our contribution to the Council's Cycle Saturday. Booking essential, details here. https://www.facebook.com/MacclesfieldWh ... =3&theater

And then next week, if Ms Ford can tear herself away from her medicals studies again, there is the Saturday Morning Social Ride led by Brian E and Paul AJ, specifically designed for those new to riding a bike in a group. Details on the calendar.
Chris C

Postby Paul Roman » Thu Jun 29, 2017 9:03 pm

Hi Chris, as I have just pumped up my 27 x 11/4 Dunlop tyres, dubbined my Brookes B17 saddle, adjusted my Benelux gears, greased my Weinmann centre pull brakes, tightened the cotterpins in my Williams chainset and fitted new straps to my Christophe toe clips, I would like to join you on your invitation ride this Saturday, I'm also happy to point out that I have slimmed down to a svelt 18 stone. I feel that I'm O K for 49 miles and assume that we have a week to complete it. See you Saturday.
Paul Roman

Postby Chris C » Fri Jun 30, 2017 8:30 am

Alas you won't see me as I am otherwise engaged. I know that one or more of the other regulars will step up to the plate and lead the ride. Job description: welcome new riders and check their familiarity with riding in a group, split the ride into manageable groups if necessary (the ability to count to more than 10 is a core competency here), ensure that any other groups are led by one or more riders who know the destination of the cafe, point your group in the right direction, call out the turns (at least until the day when Garmins are built into every stem), count the number of riders from time to time and call the group to wait if anyone has dropped off the back, regulate the speed if necessary by shouting, make sure all riders have mounted their bikes after the cafe and no-one is still in the loo, remain with any fatigued riders to get them back to Macc. I have called Minshulls Garden Centre and told them to expect about 20-25 riders. I shall miss you. Don't forget that the ride starts at 1.00 pm in the Market Place, NOT South Park.
Chris C

PreviousNext

Return to Club runs