Forum

Saturday Club Run (Road)

Club runs discussion

Re: Saturday Club Run (Road)

Postby thetrotter » Sun Feb 19, 2017 12:30 am

That's a fascinating route, Paul: a Circuit of the Cat and Fiddle to complement the Circuit of the Edge? Worth keeping in the calendar as an annual Challenge Ride (bit like the old "Mile High" ride)?
Samuel Pecke : A bald headed buzzard content only in wenching, lying and drinking.
thetrotter

Postby PaulH » Sun Feb 19, 2017 6:55 pm

The fast group did this route a year or two ago when the cafe stop was at Peak View, so I thought we'd try it again.
It was made up on the fly last time so I had to rack my brains to remember all the twists and turns.
It goes up just about every climb close to Macc - Pym Chair's about the only one missing (but there's no reason why it couldn't be added!)
PaulH

Postby PaulH » Fri Mar 03, 2017 10:42 pm

PaulH

Postby PaulH » Fri Mar 10, 2017 7:48 pm

Club run to Hope tomorrow, a few hills - with the option of Winnats on the way home!

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/19482546

http://cargocollective.com/cafeadventure
PaulH

Postby Chris C » Fri Mar 10, 2017 10:49 pm

Unless anyone else wishes to, I'll be happy to lead a slower group that, depending on time, may go down Winnats and either back up Mam Nick or walk up Mam Tor. I'm looking forward to it.
Chris C

Postby Chris C » Sun Mar 12, 2017 9:36 am

How good it was to be out on this ride! Thank you to Paul for creating the route again. 23 riders, 21 of whom made it to the brace of cafes. Two groups: Paul, James, Rich, Matt B the Younger, welcome again Hannah Bridger and Richard and Jamie Storey; Andy, Graham W, Feed, Jeremy, me, Dave Har, Andrew R, Warren, Eddie, Steve H, Brian R, Cath, Dave Hal, Mick, Joe and Tom B (who carried on after the cafe to return to Sheffield). In the end, three riders in the larger group descended Winnats, with the rest taking the Mam Nick loop. Then a different trio joined Paul's group for the ascent of Winnats, meeting us after we had mostly walked up the broken road of Mam Tor, before the glorious run down to Whaley. A great afternoon out, thank you to all my companions.

Please don't forget that you need to be a member to join these rides. If you haven't yet renewed your membership, please avoid any embarrassment by renewing now: it's only £15 a year. If you're not yet a member, the club's organisers’ liability insurance allows you to 'try before you buy' on up to three rides only. After that, you'll need to join please. Note: the club's organisers’ liability insurance covers only the club for claims against it; it does NOT cover you for any damage you may cause to anyone else or their property, even if you are riding with us under the 'try before you buy' rule. When you join you'll need your own third party insurance. If you are not clear about third party insurance, or need any tips about insuring your bike, please ask me.
Chris C

Postby PaulH » Sat Mar 25, 2017 10:23 am

Tideswell this afternoon, the cafe is Vanilla Kitchen -
http://www.vanillakitchen.co.uk

And the route is hilly -
https://ridewithgps.com/routes/19782007
PaulH

Postby Chris C » Sun Mar 26, 2017 9:50 am

The Orange Men and Women were out in force in the Peak District yesterday: 34 riders left the South Park car park, with 32 besieging the Vanilla Kitchen in Tideswell, which coped admirably, helped in no little part by the almost complete, and surely co-incidental, absence of any civilians, for who wouldn't wish to enjoy a quiet cup of tea in the company of nearly three dozen sweaties? Indeed, as we left, the manager surveyed her empty cake stands and remarked: "I won't need to open tomorrow". I'm glad that our considerable collective purchasing power did a little to boost this particular local economy and did something to assuage the nasty taste left by a couple of other customers who had the bad grace to leave without paying (a plague on them, let's hope that they feel truly ashamed and that their paninis or whatever stick in their gullets).

I played a first half '8-15-11' formation with an attacking front line of Paul, Rich, James, Mike K, Gordon, new member Hannah Bridger, Matt B the Younger and welcome to Steve visiting from Cambridge (we'll all come to you next week Steve). The midfield comprised Mick, Fozzie, Dave Board, two sets of fathers and sons - Dave and Joe and Mark and Robert, the latter's Uncle Andrew, Steve L, welcome to new member Christian Smith, Fred, Graham W, Richard R making a rare and welcome appearance without his knobblies, Nigel and Brian R. An initially strong defence of Greg, Paul AJ, good to see you back Jack thought we might have lost you to the NHS, Cath, Ben, Dave W, Warren, Andrew R the Second, Andy B, Dave Haley and myself lost two members before the battle of the Goyt but still managed to join the end of Group Two's cafe queue.

Phew what a club run. Loved it! Got home at 18.55 with the light and rider both fading. Great to have so many people out and so many in our smart club kit. Thanks to Paul for another great route and to him and Andy B for looking after this ride this year while I was getting the plumbing fixed (and I'm not talking residential here). I shall plan a flat ride next week (1 April) and, weather depending, a hilly one the week after (8 April). Then Paul will plan the rides up and including 13 May, after which it'd be great if we could have a few more people willing to plan and lead rides, since (a) I expect to be visiting my mother from time to time and (b) this is, after all, an equal opportunities club. Full GPS planning lessons available if you need them. Come on, it could be you! Please let me know.
Chris C

Postby Chris C » Fri Apr 07, 2017 7:32 am

Here I am catching up with the e-paperwork rather late (busy life, eh?). Last week's club run to Anderton Boat Lift featured 10 riders: Rich and Hannah formed a fast group, while my companions comprised Daves Lacey and Haley, Phil, welcome back Louis, Andrew, Vikki (just limbering up to run 18 miles the next day!!*!?*) and welcome to Simon Smith, not the old one that we know so well but a brand new one who we don't yet know so well. Welcome to the Wheelers Simon, not all club runs feature two broken chains (OK the same
chain twice) and one puncture resulting in cut fingers for two riders; sometimes they can be quite eventful.

Want a hilly ride this week? I've got one for you! The weather's looking fabulous and I'm itching to ride.

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/20099188
Chris C

Postby Chris C » Sat Apr 08, 2017 8:35 pm

31 go to Longnor
I can tell you that the hills were at their very best today. I’m sure that Majorca, Spain, Italy, etc all have their charms but the Peak District in good weather is surely God’s Own Country. And I managed to go down some lanes that not only I, but even Cath (27 years with the club, can you believe it, must have started as a child), had never been down. First Dave Haley and Cath suffered impact punctures as we descended the hill after Burnthouse Farm out of Wincle, then after a further 10 yards a miscreant thorn enabled me to demonstrate my man-of-the-people, ride-leader-is-not-immune, credentials. So it was 3.50 when we reached my favourite café (now my even more favourite café after its inspired recent addition of soya milk to its beverage rosta), Dave having repeated the same trick as we descended into Longnor. This meant that, on our return, after the others left him, Cath and I at Flash Bar to go back via Axe Edge and the Cat, we three puncturees set out for Flash (for those who know me well will testify that I am unable to live with myself if I don’t follow the official route), realising with a sinking feeling that we had not one good spare tube between us….

Thirty-one riders out in three groups. Paul H, James, Rich, Gordon, Hannah, Dave Roberts and welcome back Sam Hudson. Thank you to Darren for leading Group Two: Mick, Russell, big welcome to new members James Harness and Mark Pilling, welcome back Mark Eastman, Dave Higham, Andrew Rowson, Dave Harbottle, Paul A-J, Fred and, collected en route in the suburbs of Wincle, Graham W. My companions were the aforementioned puncture victims plus Andy J, Andrew Rowe, Vikki, welcome back Simon R, Eddie, Steve, Jack, Dave L and Brian E.

Really great to see so many out in perfect cycling weather. We now have 196 members plus a sprinkling of U18s whose paperwork is being processed. Wouldn’t it be fantastic if we could get, say, half the club out on one ride? Please put Saturday 1 July in your diary. More details later.
Chris C

Postby alecstilleyedye » Fri Apr 14, 2017 9:12 am

No route posted, but here's the one to Minshalls from a couple of years ago:

https://www.strava.com/activities/279150724/overview

Looking forward to first club run in a while as there's no football match to take my son to play in :cheers:
alecstilleyedye

Postby PaulH » Fri Apr 14, 2017 10:32 pm

Be patient young man, check the calendar and you'll find the link...........
and, don't forget, no half wheeling :wink:
PaulH

Postby alecstilleyedye » Fri Apr 14, 2017 11:24 pm

cheeky :lol:

nice of you to include mow cop on the way home; good job i'm not commuting next week then :wink:
alecstilleyedye

Postby Chris C » Sat Apr 22, 2017 12:02 pm

Please wear your club kit if you have some, and fix your hair nicely as we have a special photo-call in the car park before we leave today. We're taking a picture to celebrate Cath and Paul's 50 combined years riding with the club. Yes, you read that correctly, 50 combined years yet they will certainly still be the most glamorous and well turned out riders in the carpark or anywhere in the Peak District for that matter. A professional photographer has been engaged at no little expense (well, no big expense either actually, thank you James). Don't be late or you may miss the shot. Me, I'd like half-a-dozen postcard sized; I imagine that autographed copies will one day fetch extraordinary sums on eBay under Cath n Paul collectibles (I'm working on a range of Barbie n Ken type dolls, re-launched with a cycling theme for today's sporting youngster).
Chris C

Postby Chris C » Sat May 06, 2017 7:21 pm

Good to see two new members out with us today: Adam Smith came with us to Nantwich while Marc Bradford braved the fast group to Broadbottom. And we had Andy Thornley from Oxted Cycling Club visiting as well, in a true spirit of inter-club camaraderie. Thanks to Dave Harb for devising and leading the Nantwich ride: I clocked 16 point something mph (actually forgot to to start my Garmin until about 20 miles out, don't trust me with technology) over the 68 or so miles.

Loved it: good pace, everyone looking out for each other, etc. Split in two groups on way back but, hey, it's a free country, so if five riders wanted to express themselves taking a different route home, who am I to chastise them? For myself, those that know me will attest that I am unable to live with myself if I don't do the official route. My 13 companions were the aforementioned Adam, Andy and Dave, plus Mike, Jeremy, Greg, Pete McG, Roger, Mick, Eddie, Cath and Dave L with poor Tom G suffering a mechanical that ended his ride on the CongBong Road. And we were joined for a few miles by bonus rider, club grandee Dave Higham taking a turn round some of tomorrow's race circuit. Is there no stopping the man?

Paul left the carpark, and I choose my words carefully here, with his trusted lieutenants James and Rich, and Hannah, the aforementioned Marc, Matt B the Younger and Pete J. Whether all made it to the delights of the delightfully named Broadbottom is a tale as yet untold, but one which I would urge any survivors to use this organ to disclose.
Chris C

PreviousNext

Return to Club runs