Forum

Lark Ride

Club runs discussion

Lark Ride

Postby Chris C » Tue Dec 05, 2017 9:21 am

Stop press

Lark or owl? Sat club run at 1.00 pm a bit late for you? Something else to do in the afternoon? We're introducing a new Saturday Earlybird Ride just for you.

In our recent club survey several members said they'd like just such a ride. So we'll test it for a couple of months and see how it goes.

Here's the plan: about 50 miles if flat, less if hilly, social ride not a training ride, cafe stop of hopefully not more than 35 mins (cafe logistics permitting), nobody gets left behind (that means: nobody gets left behind). Start normally 9.00 am, back for 1.00 pm, target average speed 15 mph if flat, less if hilly, GPX routes published in advance.

But this Sat the forecast is zero degrees at 9.00 am, so unless it changes we'll start this one at 10.00 am, back by 2.00 pm. I'll publish the route later this week, when we can be clearer about the weather. Whatever the weather, our Inaugural Earlybird Saturday Ride will be flat. If the weather is really bad, we'll stick to main roads.

If you would like to lead some of these rides, please let me know. Hopefully we can grow this to have different groups at different speeds.

I can't wait til Saturday comes.
Chris C

Lark Ride

Postby Chris C » Sat Dec 09, 2017 10:30 am

Been out for a recce. Roads good, bit foggy so bring lights. Meet South Park. We ride at 10.00.
Chris C

Re: Lark Ride

Postby Chris C » Sun Dec 10, 2017 8:42 am

The Hardy Boys

In 1982 I was fortunate enough to win a five-week travelling scholarship to Northwestern University, Chicago, to study at the School of Advertising under Professor Vernon Fryburger (I am not making this up). I took extra classes examining, as luck would have it that semester, Role Models in American Literature, with a particular focus on the long-running and ever-popular series known as ‘The Hardy Boys’, a pair of brothers who appear in various mystery stories for children and teenagers.

Yesterday as I rode the snow-laden Cheshire Interstate with my own Hardy Boys, Phil B and Carl F, on the club’s inaugural Lark Ride, I looked back across more than 30 years to that dusty Chicago classroom and recalled the words of kindly old Professor Fryburger: “Critics have offered many explanations for the characters' longevity, suggesting variously that the Hardy Boys embody simple wish-fulfilment, ideals of boyhood and masculinity, a well-respected father paradoxically argued to be inept, and the possibility of the triumph of good over evil." Which pair of us, I wondered, were the boys and which one the father?
Chris C

Return to Club runs