Forum

Saturday Club Run (Road)

Club runs discussion

Re: Saturday Club Run (Road)

Postby Chris C » Mon Dec 26, 2016 9:45 am

The holiday season is still in full swing and since Saturday 31 December is New Year's Eve and some people may wish to be home a bit earlier than usual to prepare for a night of glamour, partying and excess, or get into their pyjamas ready to fall asleep in front of Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2 (ITV 21:00), we’re going to start the ride at 11:00.

Of course, if 13:00 suits you better, just turn up at South Park then. I’m sure you will be in excellent company at either time.
Chris C

Postby Chris C » Sun Jan 01, 2017 3:10 pm

‘Partnering With The Right Café’ and ‘Estimating Rider Numbers’ are likely to feature as compulsory modules in my soon-to-be-launched NVQ in Ride Leadership (Road). Fortunately we were on the money yet again with Minshulls Garden Centre for our 11.00 am club run yesterday. I had called them the day before to warn them to expect about 15 riders at about 1.00 pm. How smug I felt as the slower group of eight rode into the café car park at 1.02 pm, secure in the knowledge that the six riders in the fast group (let me do the maths for you, that’s as near as dammit 15 riders since 8+6=14) would already be there. How odd, there were a load of strange bike outside and my heart sank as we walked in to see every table in the café taken by civilians and a group of our friends from Congleton Cycling Club lurking outside the toilets. Thankfully they were on their way out and we found our fast group, true to form, already ensconced around our reserved tables in the private dining room (likely to be renamed the Wheelers Room).

Baked beans on toast was the majority comfort food of choice among my dear companions, who were: Paul H, James, Rich, Gordon, Ben R, Louis, John J, Dave Hal, Steve H, Phil, Paul F, Cath, Annick and Oliver, yes I know that’s 15 including me but the last-named left us at one of the Peovers (why I can never distinguish my Over P from my P Superior I simply do not know) to be replaced almost immediately by John J, joining us en route (straight swap then, track rider for track rider). My average speed home to home was 14.4 mph for 54.5 miles.

Right, that’s enough club runs for 2016. We’ve been out on 52 out of a possible 53 Saturdays. Thank you for coming. If you’ve enjoyed it half as much as I have, you’ll have had a great time.
Chris C

Postby PaulH » Thu Jan 12, 2017 11:26 pm

This Saturday's destination is High Legh Garden Centre

I won't be there at 13:00 as I need to be back home early, but I'm sure there will be someone that's happy to take the lead - the route is linked in the calendar as usual so no excuses for getting lost!

I'll be setting off at 11:00, if anyone wants to come out to play earlier - providing Macclesfield doesn't look like Narnia!
PaulH

Postby Mike Roberts » Fri Jan 13, 2017 2:19 pm

Curious to learn if anyone can confirm that Chapel Lane Bucklow Hill is reopened following closure to enable the construction of a new bridge over the A556 bypass?
MBobs

AKA Mr Grub Street - whatever that implies!
Mike Roberts

Postby thetrotter » Fri Jan 13, 2017 11:09 pm

Mike Roberts wrote:Curious to learn if anyone can confirm that Chapel Lane Bucklow Hill is reopened following closure to enable the construction of a new bridge over the A556 bypass?

I had the same question. The closure was meant to be "into January" so I expect not unless anyone has first hand knowledge.
Samuel Pecke : A bald headed buzzard content only in wenching, lying and drinking.
thetrotter

Postby jjackson » Sat Jan 14, 2017 12:29 pm

It is still closed The sign indicated the end of Jan
jjackson
Site Admin

Postby jjackson » Sat Jan 14, 2017 12:40 pm

My sugested diversion
diver.pdf
(337.04 KiB) Downloaded 23 times

diversion.gpx
(33.64 KiB) Downloaded 15 times
jjackson
Site Admin

Postby eddiegcycle » Sat Jan 14, 2017 6:00 pm

Cheers John, unfortunately we went on the early 11.00 club run, the one where nobody else turned up! So we found our own diversion along the footpath ;-)
eddiegcycle

Postby Mike Roberts » Sat Jan 14, 2017 9:44 pm

What's the 'footpath' like Eddie?
Is it exclusively a muddy surfaced walkway or a reasonably firm rideable shale option?
MBobs

Mike Roberts

Postby thetrotter » Sun Jan 15, 2017 10:51 am

Mike Roberts wrote:What's the 'footpath' like Eddie?
Is it exclusively a muddy surfaced walkway or a reasonably firm rideable shale option?

Think Eddie is referring to the footpath alongside the A556? Still no way across the new road.
Samuel Pecke : A bald headed buzzard content only in wenching, lying and drinking.
thetrotter

Postby Mike Roberts » Sun Jan 15, 2017 1:32 pm

That'll be a long way to Mere Lights! One to delete from my options, if I get over my cold this week.
MBobs

Mike Roberts

Postby Mike Roberts » Sun Jan 15, 2017 1:35 pm

If I'm well enough to venture in that direction in the next couple of weeks, I'll opt for a more distant diversion, thanks.
MBobs

Mike Roberts

Postby PaulH » Fri Jan 20, 2017 7:05 pm

This week's Saturday ride is a hilly one stopping at Revive Cafe in New Mills -
http://www.revivecafe.co.uk
The route is 70 odd kilometres and includes Standing Stone, Long Hill and one or two others - and, according to the BBC Weather app on my phone, it's going to be sunny :afro:
http://ridewithgps.com/routes/18602290
PaulH

Postby PaulH » Fri Feb 03, 2017 8:26 pm

Monyash tomorrow,

here's the route -
http://ridewithgps.com/routes/18828339

and here's the cafe
http://www.oldsmithymonyash.co.uk
PaulH

Postby PaulH » Fri Feb 17, 2017 9:44 pm

Hilly ride tomorrow to Peak View Tearoom
The route is circuitous, never gets too far away from Macc and includes quite a few climbs.
It's up to you whether you do the whole route or miss bits out - maybe you want to save your legs for Sunday!?

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/19058236

http://www.peakviewtearooms.co.uk
PaulH

PreviousNext

Return to Club runs