Enjoy :-D
Simon Galgut

Re: Saturday Club Run (Road)

Postby alecstilleyedye » Fri Aug 26, 2016 5:08 pm

you riding again simon?
alecstilleyedye

Postby Simon Galgut » Fri Aug 26, 2016 8:57 pm

alecstilleyedye wrote:you riding again simon?

Not in any meaningful way. I'm still held together with titanium plates and screws rather than bone and muscle.
But Station Road will be fun for you all nd I am almost tempted to go and spectate.
Simon Galgut

Postby Chris C » Sat Aug 27, 2016 6:48 pm

As it happened, other engagements meant that our Dear Leader was unable to watch the ascent of Mow Cop by the Wild Wales Refuseniks this afternoon, but I know he was with us in spirit. First up the Killer Mile was Louis, hotly pursued by Paul F, both new to the peculiar charms of this iconic climb. I was delighted to see Huw riding alongside Louis earlier (Huey Lewis, geddit?). Supporting riders were Paul Hart, James, Paul Heywood, Ben - fresh from his 12-hour ride last Sunday (!!!!), Dave Harbottle, Mick, Vikki, Andrew, Dominic, Cath, Vinny, Rob, Gordon and Greg, so 18 of us in all. I clocked an average speed of 13.1 mph. Do join us next week. Go on, you know you want to.
Chris C

Postby thetrotter » Sat Aug 27, 2016 8:20 pm

Huey Lewis is hardly news - geddit :-D
Samuel Pecke : A bald headed buzzard content only in wenching, lying and drinking.
thetrotter

Postby alecstilleyedye » Sun Aug 28, 2016 9:50 am

a fair few had to us a 24" gear to get up the nasty bit, no surprise given the rusting heap of heavy pig-iron i was riding (it was so muddy at that point that it could almost have passed for a lightweight carbon bike with lots of italian bits in the right light).

did manage to clock nearly 74kmh (nearly 45mph in old money) on the descent of the a54 though.

first club run after 5 days of commuting 64km a day (38.4 miles in old money), could have picked an easier one but where's the fun in that?
alecstilleyedye

Postby Chris C » Wed Aug 31, 2016 7:21 am

It's still summer in September. Unless the weather forecast changes to awful, we'll be up in the hills again this Saturday, destination probably Ipstones (need to check with Cafe Connect in the Memorial Hall first). I intend to post the route before midnight on Thursday. Hope you can make it.

http://www.cafeconnectipstones.co.uk/find.html
Chris C

Postby Chris C » Thu Sep 01, 2016 8:15 am

Provisional route for Saturday, subject to confirmation by the cafe. If not, we'll go to the nearby Country Kitchen at Winkhill.

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/16271281
Chris C

Postby Chris C » Fri Sep 02, 2016 9:23 am

Chris C wrote: subject to confirmation by the cafe.

Not open anyway but forecast is rain so we'll stay low and head for High Legh Garden Centre.

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/16294727
Chris C

Postby Chris C » Sun Sep 04, 2016 9:03 am

History was made yesterday when, at 12.50, I was the first rider to arrive at South Park. Hiding away under cover in the charming pavilion (to the right of the car park), where I passed the time reading some interesting inscriptions on the walls concerning the alleged private lives of some of the locals, I wondered if the rain meant I would wander alone on my ride (for Rule 37 requires any self-respecting ride leader to undertake the complete ride completely regardless of ride uptake). I need not have worried. Within minutes I was joined by those hardy perennials, Vikki, Andrew and Steve H, all, incredibly, new to this ride this year, with Dave R joining us as we emerged to cross Park Lane. As we stopped in Vicky Road for a handy mudguard-break, we were delighted to be joined again by Rob Shaw. And so we set off, six in all; it rained the whole way to the café but I had cunningly back-loaded the route so we enjoyed a slightly longer way home, much of it rainless. I did 47 miles at 13.2 mph. Did I enjoy myself? You bet I did.
Chris C

Postby Chris C » Thu Sep 08, 2016 7:55 am

This week we'll do the hilly ride to Winkhill that we didn't do last week (unless the weather changes to awful again). Destination cafe either cafe at Beevor Hall Stables or Country Kitchen. Watch this space.

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/16271281
Chris C

Postby Chris C » Thu Sep 08, 2016 10:35 pm

Actually I've changed the route completely. Same general direction. We're going to Bradnop - the Beaver Hall Equestrian Centre. No cafe sprint please - as we come onto the site there will be a dressage competition on the left and I have assured the owners that we will slow right down so we don't spook the horses in our bright orange club kit.

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/16447078
Chris C

Postby Chris C » Sat Sep 10, 2016 10:33 pm

Your Saturday Road Club Run in numbers.

Scotsmen in the break: 1 (Gordon)
Riders in the break: 1
Daves: 4 (Higham, Haley, Harbottle and Roberts)
Riders who have also run up Gun Hill: 1 (Oliver)
Jos or Joes: 2
Riders aged under 17: 2 (Louis and Dan)
Riders out for their 2nd MW club run: 1 (Jamie Heeds)
Riders out for their 4th MW ride: 1 (Dan)
Other riders who only started coming out on MW Saturday club runs this year but are now part of the furniture: 4 (Steve Hornby, Dominic, Rob Shaw and Louis)
Jacks that have been doing this ride for less than one year: 1
Electricians who installed the lights in my kitchen in 1992: 1 (Fred)
Riders who normally wear baggy shorts on Saturdays but who were most welcome anyway: 2 (Nigel and Fozzie)
Riders that I counted in the car park: 20
Riders who turned up in the car park one second after I had called the café to say that there would be exactly 20 of us: 1 (Fozzie)
Riders who set out early and who we joined en route: 1 (Phil)
Riders that left the ride early to train for a hilly time trial on the Cat next week: 1 (James)
Riders who left home as usual too late to meet us at South Park and went straight to the café: 1 (Dave R)
Riders who were too cold to stop at the café: 1 (Dave Higham)
Time I told the café we would arrive: 3.15
Time we actually arrived at the café: 3.14
Riders who, by my calculations, should have been in the café: 21
Riders in the café: 19
Ride leaders who are still paying the price of failing Maths O-Level twice as they (a) can’t count riders in a car park, or (b) lost two riders en route, or (c) both of the above: 1 (nameless).
Chris C

Postby Chris C » Thu Sep 15, 2016 10:04 pm

Route for this week - Dagfields - amended since this morning, in my ceaseless quest for continuous improvement (thanks again to Dave Higham for this tweak).

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/16591783
Chris C

Postby Chris C » Sun Sep 18, 2016 9:43 pm

Here I am, catching up with the post. 19 riders yesterday for a good fast ride to Dagfields. I clocked about 60 miles from Base Camp to the point at which I deviated (from the official route to head for home) at an average speed of 17.0 mph. My companions were: Oliver, Cath, Gordon, Andy B, Mark E, Rich, Jon B, Rob, Darren, Jack, Joe, Joe, Dom, Matt R, Andy W, Paul, Andrew and Vikki. We all rode together about half the way there before splitting into two groups, and did the same on the way back. I loved it.
Chris C

PreviousNext

Return to Club runs