Forum

Saturday Club Run (Road)

Club runs discussion

Re: Saturday Club Run (Road)

Postby Chris C » Sat Nov 04, 2017 10:51 pm

Good ride today to the Snowdrop Café at Grasslands Nursery in Over Peover, with a ride created earlier this year by our man in Italy, Paulo H. Three punctures between 16 riders on the way out, then we added bonus rider Simon G at the café, honing his cake-eating skills ready to celebrate his 5X birthday this week. Puncturers were Simon Ram, Simon Rob (your first club run puncture Simon, you’re in) and Eddie. Pit stop support teams were Phil B, Dave Hal, Mick, Darren, Greg, Caterina, good to see Pete out with us again, Joe, Mike C, Tim, Steve P, Dave L and me, your reporter, Chris C. My ride home to home was 50 miles at an average speed of 14.0 mph. Go on, you can do that, can’t you? OK, you can miss out the bit to my house (unless your name is Claudia Schiffer). Join us next week.
Chris C

Postby Chris C » Thu Nov 09, 2017 8:42 am

Saturday Road Club Run - 11 Nov

We're up in the hills: 40 miles and 4,000 feet of climbing. We'll be carb-loading at the iconic Roaches Tea Rooms before lining up to test ourselves at the club's major event of the year: the prestigious Geoff Stevenson Freewheel Trophy (present title holder the awesome Dave R). Grand Depart: 1.00 pm in the car park in South Park, off Park Grove, off Park Lane, Macclesfield, England, United Kingdom, The World, The Universe.

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/26471271
Chris C

Postby Chris C » Sat Nov 11, 2017 9:44 pm

Up in the beautiful Peak District again this afternoon with Dave Harb, Dave Hal, Mick, Fred, Roger, Catherine and Paulo, Kevin Ty, Brian E, Andy B, Phil B, Steve P and welcome to the Wheelers to Mark Booth (who clearly enjoyed himself so much that he joined the club immediately after the ride). Following an early cordial catch up couple of miles with Dave Bowers, we just pipped the intermediate group to the (unusually disorganised) Roaches café and felt the pain of Matt B the Younger, Russell, Gordon and Dave R as they joined the back of our queue after doing a claimed 10 extra miles to get there.

Then it was The Big One: the annual Geoff Stevenson Freewheel Competition (how far can you get without pedalling). We lined up nervously at a secret location high above Leek under the firm but benevolent eye of Start-Master Roger Wrenn. I thought that this year I was finally on track to podium but, alas, my early promise faded with the all ignominy that I have become accustomed to throughout my competitive career and I finished within the last three, my hopes of glory dashed by a breakout performance by, drumroll……ANDY BANKS!

My ride home to home: 42 miles at an average of 11.2 mph, but of course I wasn’t pedalling for part of that [see above], so probably an adjusted real-time average of 20.0.
Chris C

Previous

Return to Club runs