Forum

Sunday Easy Rides

Club runs discussion

Sunday Easy Rides

Postby Katherine Jackson » Sun Jan 10, 2016 3:59 pm

Twelve easy riders turned out today for a beautiful sunny ride from Wilmslow to Dunham. The group included two first timers. We split the group up part way out,to give the fitter riders chance to do a few more miles. It also meant that we did not overwhelm the Lavender Barn tea room!
Katherine Jackson

Re: Sunday Easy Rides

Postby Katherine Jackson » Sun Jan 24, 2016 10:27 pm

12 Easy riders set off today from Wilmslow to Anderton boat lift. We had some dampness on the way, but not enough for us to have to stop for waterproof additions. Sadly both cafes at the boat lift were closed, so after a short interlude for Paul Griffies and Eddie to fix Philip's puncture, and some dithering regarding cafe alternatives, we visited Weaver Vale garden centre. This turned out to be in the same chain as Astbury garden centre so the food was very familiar! After a long enough lunch break for Pat to finish phone negotiations to sell her house we headed home at a smart pace. Sadly I struggled to stay on as we headed past Plumley, so I beat a tactical retreat, with a visit to Seven Sisters ice cream farm. My domestique briefed the rest of the group, and in particular Martin, then joined me for a cup of tea and a more leisurely ride home. Mileage was 35.6 miles, average speed of bunch was 12.4mph, and we did make suitable noises and gestures at other cyclists we encountered including a group containing some Macc Wheelers-maybe the training group?
Katherine Jackson

Postby Katherine Jackson » Sun Jan 31, 2016 10:45 pm

12 Easy riders turned out for today's ride from Broken Cross and Siddington to Astbury, including first timers Dave and son Will, and Sian returning to cycling after a back injury. It was 4 degrees C and wet when we set off, and by Siddington there were mutterings about going to Marton or Jodrell Bank. Route masters Martin and John Jackson decided to cut out a few loops and take a more direct route through the Congleton foothills to Glebe Farm cafe at Astbury. This meant that we soon warmed up, although the group had to wait for me a couple of times when the climbs conquered me. The cafe was warm and welcoming, with great food, including eggs benedict. By the time we came out it was a balmy 8 degrees C, and a shorter ride back, with just Radnor Bank to slow us down. Total mileage from Broken Cross was 26.5 miles, average speed 12.1 mph (blame the hills!). Congratulations to Will on completing more miles than he has done before, and on a road bike that he is only just getting used to.
Katherine Jackson

Postby Katherine Jackson » Sun Feb 14, 2016 6:02 pm

21, yes 21!!! Easy riders made it to today's cafe stop, Velo Espresso in Altrincham. We are going to have to start letting cafes know that we are coming, particularly when sun is forecast. We split into 2 groups on the way out, to stagger our arrival and also because we had Jan and Georgina out with us after a very long break. The fast group arrived about half an hour ahead, and filled the cafe. The owner was out on his bike, so one of our number, Nick, stepped in to help behind the counter. He used to be a restaurant manager so has hidden talents with proper coffee machines. Yvonne and Michael both had to leave early but the rest of us rode back as one group, fortunately most of the route back was cycle track. Total mileage 26.5 miles.
Katherine Jackson

Postby jacksonmj » Sun Feb 21, 2016 8:00 pm

Eleven riders attempted the Barry Hyde Circuit of the Edge, cafe crawl edition.

Most of us had three cafe stops: Costa Coffee in Alderley Edge, the burger van at Redesmere, and Flora Tea Rooms at the end. (Cake was not compulsory at all three.)
Four people decided to skip the second one and proceed directly to number three, either to find some proper toilet facilities, or because they didn't need all three stops.

One set of punctures: both wheels on a single bike at the same time, due to a pothole while coming down Artists Lane (pinch puncture). A good illustration of why you should make sure your tyres are pumped up enough!

The weather turned out quite nice, no rain at all, but a bit breezy at times.
Congratulations to all who completed the full 42 miles, it's a tough ride. :hello1:

One thing I didn't enjoy overly much was the Chelford loop - a bit too much main road with a bit too much traffic for my tastes. I might have to look at alternative routes for next year, even if this means that the ride that I do doesn't officially count as the "Barry Hyde Circuit of the Edge" :(
Quieter roads would be nice, especially for people riding at a more gentle pace.
jacksonmj
Site Admin +
Technical Support

Postby jacksonmj » Sun Feb 28, 2016 5:59 pm

Today's ride was a slightly circuitous route to Goostrey, which eleven riders completed. No rain, no ice, a bit chilly. Something that looked rather like the Macc Wheelers Sunday training ride was spotted whizzing past at high speed while we were making our way through Knutsford.

Our usual approach to roadworks of "there is no such thing as a closed road" sadly did not work today, and we had to take a slight diversion along the main road on the way back. (I was aware of the roadworks beforehand, but decided we'd have a go anyway...)

Total distance 32.6 miles according to my Garmin, or a little further if you believe Strava, which gradually ups the distance travelled while you sit in the cafe. Average speed 13.0 mph, 1000 ft of climbing.

Next Sunday is Mother's Day, which means that most places are likely to be busy with Mothers being taken for a Day out. We will therefore be visiting the cafe at Spinney Caravans, on the basis that this will not be the destination of choice for most people, so should be less crowded.
Macclesfield start next week, and (just to confuse people) the week after too.
jacksonmj
Site Admin +
Technical Support

Postby Mr.Malc » Sun Feb 28, 2016 6:56 pm

Were the road works at Goostrey Church John?
If so you can do a diversion thru Blackden Hall Bridleway.
Robert Foster, TT Sec

nec dolor nec dolor
Mr.Malc

Postby Mike Roberts » Sun Feb 28, 2016 9:43 pm

Obvious on OS118 but have to admit I've never studied it as a possible adventure!

Robert: you're obviously familiar with it? Is it suitable for 700 x 23s or 25s?
MBobs

AKA Mr Grub Street - whatever that implies!
Mike Roberts

Postby jacksonmj » Sun Feb 28, 2016 9:47 pm

Yeah, I was having a look this afternoon at which way we could have gone instead, the bridleway didn't look too bad on street view. It seems to be paved - a few potholes and maybe a bit rough/muddy in places, but should be rideable on a road bike.

I've never been down there before though, and I was reluctant to try an unknown bridleway when leading a group...

The roadworks on Blackden Lane are scheduled to finish 8 March, according to roadworks.org.

- Martin
jacksonmj
Site Admin +
Technical Support

Postby Mike Roberts » Sun Feb 28, 2016 9:53 pm

Have a local contact who probably can comment suitably. Have sent an email.
MBobs

Mike Roberts

Postby Mr.Malc » Mon Feb 29, 2016 8:50 pm

We did it on Sunday. Tarmac from Goostrey station road side to the buildings then hardcore which is a bit pot holey and wet but passable in 3 mins. First traversed on Marcus' Roubaix special a couple of years back.
Robert Foster, TT Sec

nec dolor nec dolor
Mr.Malc

Postby Mike Roberts » Wed Mar 02, 2016 6:22 pm

Checking back to Gordon Low's 'gpx' file contained in the various threads concerning Marcus's Roubaix ride, I see that the 'off road' short cut from Catchpenny Lane to the base of Dingle Bank is also shown as part of the ridden route.

It's a long, long time since that was a frequent diversion on Saturday rides. I had believed that it was no longer passable on account of the industrial nature/ vehicles at the sand quarry there. What are your recollections for that bridleway/ footpath? Is it deep mud and/ or barriered?
MBobs

Mike Roberts

Postby Mr.Malc » Wed Mar 02, 2016 6:59 pm

It was still there and open in 2014. Not too much mud even if when we kept to the BW under the trees. I remember it being quite dry leading up to that ride so maybe different now given this year's weather.
Robert Foster, TT Sec

nec dolor nec dolor
Mr.Malc

Postby Mike Roberts » Wed Mar 02, 2016 7:22 pm

Thanks. I'll put it down on my 'to do' list for the next drought.
MBobs

Mike Roberts

Postby Chris C » Thu Mar 03, 2016 8:43 am

Blackden Lane now open again.
Chris C

Next

Return to Club runs