Forum

Sunday Easy Rides

Club runs discussion

Re: Sunday Easy Rides

Postby Katherine Jackson » Sun May 29, 2016 4:08 pm

Today's easy ride started from Lindow, and offered two options. Ten riders took the Góostrey option led by Martin, and three of us took the very short option for new riders or those recovering from injury, to the Lambing Shed. Glorious weather!
Katherine Jackson

Postby Katherine Jackson » Sun Jul 17, 2016 3:50 pm

16 easy riders made the most of the best Sunday weather for ages, with a ride from Broken Cross/Siddington to Shipbrook farm. John was chatting on the front on the way out so we ended up doing his default speed, averaging 14.5mph on the way out in to a head wind. Shipbrook has a much larger indoor cafe space, and a new courtyard area, as well as the original tables with views. The food was good albeit a little slow for those who ordered last. Great selection of cakes and icecream.
Katherine Jackson

Postby Katherine Jackson » Sun Jul 24, 2016 5:46 pm

8 Easy riders made it to Great Budworth and back, without getting wet. Martin took us out on a route that seemed to go through every street in Knutsford, in an effort to avoid Tatton Park's flower show. Great Budworth tea room was very quiet, maybe the parish council has put some clubs off. The cake was excellent as usual, Martin went back for 3rd and 4th pieces!
Katherine Jackson

Postby jacksonmj » Sun Aug 07, 2016 3:19 pm

Next week (14th August) will be an afternoon ride, starting from Siddington after the road race has finished - exact time uncertain (I'm helping with the results, so it will be whenever I've finished those and packed up). We are still a bit short of helpers for the road race, so if you are free on Sunday morning, please consider volunteering (forum / facebook).

21 August will be a hilly ride to Hope, weather permitting. Katherine will lead a flat alternative ride to a different destination.

We will probably do a longer ride at some point in September, as a little warmup for Bishops Castle.
jacksonmj
Site Admin +
Technical Support

Postby Katherine Jackson » Sun Aug 14, 2016 5:40 pm

Today's Easy ride set off from Siddington Village Hall, just after the road race had finished and prizes presented, since a number of us had been helping. One of our Wilmslow based members suggested a cafe which we had not visited before, the Barnshaw Smithy, between Mobberley and Ashley, so we quickly accepted that suggestion, since most of us lived in that direction. My map reading went well until we got north of Mobberley where I nearly took us in a complete circle, fortunately Griff had a better sense of direction! The cafe coped well with all of us (Griff, Eddie, Steve, John, Harry, Alicia, Yvonne, Helena and myself, with Martin and John J arriving soon after, having driven home first with all the camera and laptop kit which Martin uses at the race finish). There was a good choice of food and drinks, including the all important cake. I think that we will be back!
Katherine Jackson

Postby Katherine Jackson » Sun Aug 21, 2016 7:08 pm

11 intermediate riders made it to Hope, led by John and Martin. They had 3 punctures, one stuck gear shifter and low flying cloud over Snake pass. Our usual cafe has changed hands and the portion sizes are no longer cyclist friendly, the menu choice is limited and the tea no longer comes in pint mugs. Time to find a different cafe!
Meanwhile I took a select group of 3 easy riders on a gentle ride from Wilmslow to Tatton Park which was relatively quiet despite the classic car show. The cafe there has definitely improved with an impressive selection of cakes, prices which now seem reasonable and a much more efficient serving and payment system. It was actually dry and warm enough to sit outside. We had no punctures, no mechanical problems, just the odd spot of rain and we were back home by 1pm. I think that I will stick with easy rides!
Katherine Jackson

Postby Chris C » Mon Aug 22, 2016 6:34 am

Katherine Jackson wrote:Time to find a different cafe!

The Sat road club run has road-tested the Courtyard Café round the corner, with excellent results.
Chris C

Postby Katherine Jackson » Sun Aug 28, 2016 5:56 pm

Today's easy ride had unexpectedly good weather, on a ride led by Martin from Macclesfield, taking in Radnor Bank, Malkin Bank, the Wheelock trail and eventually ending up at Minshulls garden centre. We had some of the regulars out, including Griff, Philip, Steve (without his wing man Eddie) and Paul Roman, as well as a few irregulars whose names elude me (it takes me a few weeks, sorry guys!). I peeled off at Wheelock to assess a new cafe at Sandbach 'Cafe on the Square'. It passed muster, great food seating for 18 upstairs, reasonable prices, if bringing a large group it's best to ring in advance and they will reserve tables. Sunday is reasonably quiet but Saturday gets busy.
Katherine Jackson

Postby Katherine Jackson » Sun Sep 04, 2016 7:05 pm

The easy riders had a very pleasant dry Sunday afternoon ride led by Martin from Wilmslow to High Legh village hall for home made cakes and tea. We had one new rider, Gwen, who only started cycling last Christmas, but had no problem keeping up with us. The other riders out were Pat, Harry, Griff, Pete Jackson, Philip, John, and a guest appearance from Oliver. Next week's ride will be a longer one to Chester (but there will be a shorter car assisted option).
Attachments
20160904_152932(1).jpg
Katherine Jackson

Postby Katherine Jackson » Sun Oct 23, 2016 8:37 pm

20161023_125627(1).jpg
17 Easy riders on a sunny ride to Anderton boat lift today, with two very welcome first timers, Monique and Vic. Just one puncture on the way out through a hole in Steve's tyre. John finally got the chance to use the little piece of tyre he carries around in his saddle bag!
Katherine Jackson

Postby Katherine Jackson » Sun Nov 06, 2016 4:24 pm

20161106_133314(1).jpg
10 easy riders braved the rain and cold head wind for this morning's ride from Wilmslow to Goostrey. The cafe at Home and Leisure was packed with cyclists, including Manchester Bicycle Club, Stretford Wheelers and a group of the old timers, (the over 75s), some on their bikes and some in their cars. It was good to see our former treasurer Eddie, as well as John and Brenda Bethelll. By the time we emerged from the cafe the rain had stopped, and Martin treated us to a bridle path on the way home.
Katherine Jackson

Postby Katherine Jackson » Sun Aug 20, 2017 10:07 pm

Intermediate easy ride (?) to Chester and back saw an eclectic mix of riders enjoying some dry and warm weather. Some started at Macclesfield but with plans to turn back before Chester, two of us joined the group at Shakerley Mere, and Brian Evans, making a lucky guess, found us at our third cafe of the day at Shipbrook. First cafe was the Shirehorse centre at Cotebrook, who were wonderfully efficient, as well as flexible when Paul R developed toasted tea cake envy, and put in a belated request! Lunch was by the river at Chester, after which John Jackson took us on an adventure, down a route he has not used before, new to all of us except Mike Roberts. There will be some bikes being washed this evening!
Katherine Jackson

Postby Katherine Jackson » Sun Sep 17, 2017 6:08 pm

16 easy riders dodged the worst of the rain on an afternoon ride from Wilmslow to High Legh village teas, this week provided by the local PTA. Eddie's wife, Sarah, was out with us for the first time, and did fantastically well despite her new gear cable breaking on the way there. Eddie had a spare one with him fortunately and with a few onlookers and helpers was able to change it. Another tweak was required on the way back, this gave us chance to admire the crossing over the new A556! Helena's boyfriend Josh also came out with us, and Dale finally caught up with us at Rosthorne after setting off late. We cycled 28.8 miles along some very wet roads but managed to avoid the heavy rain. Next weekend is Bishops Castle, the easy way, so there will not be a local easy ride.
Katherine Jackson

Postby Katherine Jackson » Sun Oct 01, 2017 6:41 pm

7 easy riders ignored the dire weather predictions and rode from Wilmslow to Great Budworth village hall teas. John and Philip acknowledged the arrival of October by turning out on their Winter fixies and Paul R was resplendent in his newly acquired British Cycling gilet. Chris, Jim, Simon and myself made up the rest of the team, with sick notes received from Martin (cold) and Pat (away at a dog show). The surprise of the day was a road into Great Budworth closed until further notice due to badger activity undermining the carriageway! We had successfully traversed it before we found out the reason for the closure. We had a tail wind going out, and somehow found ourselves with a tail wind for part of the route back, until we got to Tatton Park when the local micro climate gave us a head wind. 36 miles completed altogether and no real rain just a little dampness in the air.
Katherine Jackson

Postby Katherine Jackson » Sun Oct 15, 2017 2:06 pm

9 easy riders enjoyed a very balmy ride through the glorious Cheshire countryside from Wilmslow to Grasslands nursery, John Jackson navigating, accompanied by Paul Griffies, Alison Griffies, Patricia Byrne, Harry (H), Philip, Simon and myself. Yvonne had set off late, so met us at the cafe. Sick notes were received from Alicia ( sore shoulder) and Martin (lingering cold). Cafe conversation ranged over various travel topics, including Griff's epic journey back from Spain after a week away with the boys, sorry, on a training camp, cycling in the Algarve, and Bishops Castle adventures. Next week's ride will start from Broken Cross/ Siddington.
Katherine Jackson

Previous

Return to Club runs