Forum

Saturday Club Run

Club runs discussion

Saturday Club Run

Postby Chris C » Mon Nov 23, 2015 4:48 pm

Two riders in the fast group and 26 in the 'normal' group on Saturday for another of Simon's delightful, and - as always - surprising, tour of Cheshire lanes. We split into at least three groups after an early post-tea puncture for an unfortunate un-named unfortunate, who remained well supported by, well, several supporters.

Plenty of space for all of us at the Snowdrop cafe, and a fruit cake to die for. Well, perhaps not quite but it almost rivalled Mrs C's finest. She'll have to watch out or I may transfer my confection affections.

55 miles for me from the club to home at about 15.67543278 mph, but who's counting?
Chris C

Re: Saturday Club Run

Postby Chris C » Sun Nov 29, 2015 10:11 am

A dozen of us out yesterday , well 11 of us really but who's counting? Well I am I suppose, if not counting well, but then Elementary Maths always seemed to me to be ironically titled. Yes we still go out in the rain. Greg, Paul H, Simon G, Dave R, Cath, Fred, Mick, Roger, Dave L, Brian E and me. Two slimline riders had to return early for a tonic before what I believe are ongoing discussions with their agent concerning the fee that Rapha and Assos are jostling to pay for exclusive licensing rights to their wardrobe. Just think of the value that the understated endorsement of this pair of style icons can deliver across the target audience of 250 Wheelers! I see the development of a sub-brand, 'Wheelers Wear Rapha', brand extensions into energy bars, breakfast cereals, mudguard flaps, surgical boots, etc, etc.

Back to the present, or at least the recent past. Cakes consumed, we headed out for the Freewheel competition, where I led off, fading to a halt to watch with horror as most riders glided effortlessly past me. This is not a discipline in which the heavier riders (are there any?) will necessarily triumph, for the glittering prize (actually it's un-silvered and atrophied beyond hope and I shall be considering a new trophy with our trophy consultants Mount Olympus) was won by the svelte and aero Greg.

Roger took a photo of us in the cafe. Ask him nicely and maybe he'll put it on FB for you.
Chris C

Postby Chris C » Sat Dec 05, 2015 9:54 pm

I thought it was quite windy on the way out today, but perhaps I was just suffering a bad attack of lethargy, or Torpor Oldbufferitis to give it its Latin name. In any case, the wind might have whispered You Ain't Seen Nothing Yet for, indeed, we turned for home into the Mother of All Headwinds, which fragmented us into at least five groups (and there were only a dozen of us anyway - you do the maths). Not quite echelon riding, more like hop-along. But hey, we were out, it wasn't raining, and I assure you that it was a whole lot better than anything else a Saturday afternoon could offer.

The Wheelers - changing the world, one bike ride at a time.
Chris C

Postby Mike Roberts » Sun Dec 06, 2015 1:08 pm

Yes, a nice dry day. But 66-miles (105.5KM) in the Tamworth CC 'Flowers to Furnace' and no echelons to combat the gale force winds would have made a man of you!
MBobs

AKA Mr Grub Street - whatever that implies!
Mike Roberts

Postby Chris C » Tue Dec 15, 2015 1:14 pm

A Morality Story

Yes, we did go out on Saturday. We’re the Macclesfield Wheelers; we ride in the rain.

Five riders left the Fermain. Mat B got as far as the Sainsbury’s roundabout before heading home, conceding that it was actually raining and a waterproof might have been useful. After nipping into the Redway Tavern for a couple of pints of Old Wombat only to find a family claiming that it had been a private home for more than a decade (well, I’m not really much of a pub habitué), I messed things up big time by drifting off the back, going the wrong way and missing Simon and Eddie who valiantly climbed all the way back through Rainow and up Lidgetts Lane to search for me. By the time they rejoined Darren he had vanished into the murk (and may still be out there for all we know). Moral: if you lose the riders in front, return to where you last saw them and wait for them to come back for you.

I made my own tentative descent of Dead Man’s Gullet and enjoyed a gentle refreshing breeze up Lamaloadofhell. As descended the A54 to the café I spied the welcome front lights of my two remaining companions climbing to the Blazing Ice Cream Log Fire Farm from the other direction. After two scones and an interesting debate on the relative merits of ‘milk in first’ or not (don’t get it wrong if you pour Eddie a cup of tea or you might find he’ll switch your hot and cold faucets round to teach you a lesson), we set the controls for home.

Shame that my comprehensive bicycle maintenance schedule had neglected to calculate the abrasive impact of such an afternoon on my front brake pads and I spent my homeward journey choosing when I could trust my pretty-useless-in-the-wet-anyway rear brake and when I needed to add the undignified screech of metal on metal. Moral: if you think you can squeeze another day out of your pads, you probably can’t, you old meanie.
Chris C

Postby Chris C » Sat Dec 19, 2015 8:32 pm

Saturday club runs - 19 December 2015 AD

Good to see 22 riders out on today’s bracing brace of club runs to the Aquaduct Marina near Church Minshull, including three ladies, and that on the same day that our honoured chair was one of the 10-strong Wheelers contingent amongst 18 ladies enjoying a Christmas lunch at Malkins Bank. How good it would be one day to see equal numbers of men and women on a club run. Welcome to this ride to Jack and Kev, and thank you for bringing the average age down by a few decades.

Two riders would have benefitted from employing rear mudguards, or rather the other 15 would have. The bionic group consisted of four athletes on the way out and five on the return, with Dave R joining us at the café once again. On my debut as caretaker ride leader in Simon’s absence (get well soon Simon), I only went the wrong way once, Garmin or no Garmin, but fortunately we were soon back on track thanks to the trusty Greg who comes pre-programmed with the navigational nous inherent being a native, something that of course I shall never enjoy, handicapped as I am by being an escaped southerner.

We’re moving. From 2 Jan, this ride will start from the Park Grove carpark in South Park. There’s a map on the club runs page of this very website.
or see map :-
http://www.macclesfieldwheelers.org.uk/startpoints.php?id=southpark
Chris C

Postby Chris C » Fri Jan 01, 2016 1:30 pm

Don't forget - tomorrow's club runs start from the Park Grove car park in South Park.

http://www.macclesfieldwheelers.org.uk/ ... =southpark

New year, new you? Never been on a club run before? There's no better time to start than 2 Jan. We ride at 1.00 pm.

:salut:
Chris C

Postby Chris C » Tue Jan 05, 2016 11:07 am

Try a club run this Saturday.

Come out with us this Saturday. Get fitter, discover hidden lanes and make new friends. What’s not to like?

Don’t forget we’re now starting from the Park Grove car park in South Park.
http://www.macclesfieldwheelers.org.uk/startpoints.php?id=southpark

This week we're off to High Legh Garden Centre.

Here's the route
http://ridewithgps.com/routes/11702892

:wav:
Chris C

Postby Chris C » Fri Jan 08, 2016 8:33 pm

If you're coming on the club run tomorrow (and I really hope that you are) don't forget your lock as the cafe does not overlook the bike park. But you always bring one anyway, don't you?
Chris C

Postby Chris C » Sat Jan 09, 2016 9:48 pm

Club Run to High Legh Garden Centre

Great to see so many out this afternoon, in spite of a forecast which would have probably given Noah something to think about. No less than 25 riders (no more either, yes I counted), including DRUM ROLL five ladies, the first time this has happened in the living memory of that First Lady of the Saturday Club Runs, Cath B. And at one point the three riders at the front were all women. More of this, please; we are an equal opportunities club.

We even saw an astonishing early comeback by the bionic man Paul H who quickly formed his customary fast grouplet with his disciples James and Rich. Joining me in the ‘normal’ group (and I use the term only comparatively) were Annick, Cath, Jo, Jill, welcome to Vicky and Miles from Poynton, welcome back at least until Jodrell Bank to Neil after only about eight years, welcome to Andrew Rowe on his first club run, Mike Healey, Darren, Andy B, Andy J, Mick, Joe, Fred, Eddie, Paul F, Dave Haley, Dave L, Phil B and, last but never least, Roger ‘Lost in Space’ Wrenn.

The best bit of the day was catching a glimpse of Dave Higham riding a bike again at the end of Catchpenny Lane (well, astride it anyway but I expect he had actually ridden it there, rather than parking up round the corner waiting for us to come past). Hope to see you back out with us again soon Dave, in your usual position at the front. We’ve missed you.
Chris C

Postby Chris C » Wed Jan 13, 2016 12:44 pm

On Saturday we're keeping off the hills in case of ice. We're going to the cafe at Alsager Hall Farm, Alsager, Stoke-on-Trent, Staffs. ST7 2UB.

I'll post the route later. I hope you can join us.
Chris C

Postby Chris C » Fri Jan 15, 2016 4:12 pm

I've amended the route so that we can ride exclusively on gritted roads, with the exception of about a mile on the return journey (Forty Acre Lane from Kermincham into Long Lane past the Red Lion). I can't call it a particularly scenic route but I reckon that it'll work.

Route here
http://ridewithgps.com/routes/11816458
Chris C

Postby Chris C » Sat Jan 16, 2016 11:05 am

Sorry. Ride cancelled - too freezy.
Chris C

Postby Mr.Malc » Sat Jan 16, 2016 9:08 pm

Excellent MTB today upto Kinder shooting hut. Crispy Frozen ruts and grippy sandy tracks. Tingly toes and snow flurries on t way home.
11 riders, 22 miles out and 20 back , not even the crumbling rocks in new Mills Torrs park could stop us.
Robert Foster, TT Sec

nec dolor nec dolor
Mr.Malc

Return to Club runs