Forum

Another Cafe

Club runs discussion

Another Cafe

Postby Mike Roberts » Mon Nov 10, 2014 3:13 pm

Would ask Admin to add Meadow Lea Farm Coffee Shop to the map.
http://www.guildensutton.org.uk/Local%20businesses/Farm%20shop.pdf
Have known of its existence for many months but yesterday's chaotic number of visitors to The Eureka demanded its investigation as an alternative refreshment option.
Quite an extensive menu - beans on toast £2.50 + 50p for an eggs or cheese as well. Breakfast with toast (white of wholemeal) and either tea or Americano £6.50.
Very clean and well furnished inside and out. About 1/2 dozen staff. Popular with cyclists; plenty of hoop stands.
admin wrote:added
MBobs

AKA Mr Grub Street - whatever that implies!
Mike Roberts

Re: Another Cafe

Postby thetrotter » Mon Nov 10, 2014 5:52 pm

Went there a few weeks ago as part of my tour of NW cycling cafes. Impressed by prices and services and, as you say, very clean inside and out. Definitely one to add to the list.
Samuel Pecke : A bald headed buzzard content only in wenching, lying and drinking.
thetrotter

Postby thetrotter » Sat Nov 15, 2014 11:10 pm

As part of my continuing tour of NW cafes, I went to the Lakeside Cafe at Whitmore. This is just beyond Keele and the quickest way to get there is via Alsager Bank which some of you may remember from our abortive trip to Apedale three years ago (Mick will remember it because his free hub failed in Newcastle!). A cafe for anglers which places it as something like Poplar 2000 without the sophistication. My reference menu (coffee plus bacon sandwich) was £2.90 so very cheap but coffee was instant and you could have any bread as long at it was white. Anglers clearly don't eat cake (there wasn't any) but obviously like fry ups and chocolate (possibly together, although I didn't enquire). Would make a reasonable run in summer (there are are nice lanes once you get beyond Keele).
Samuel Pecke : A bald headed buzzard content only in wenching, lying and drinking.
thetrotter

Postby Mike Roberts » Sat Nov 15, 2014 11:28 pm

Good on yer...
I searched around Whitmore some years ago, unsuccessfully, in a loaned car whilst mine was being serviced.
More recently I earmarked a craft centre or similarly advertised location near Baldwins Gate, but haven't followed it up.
There's a nice place - Hunger Hill Farm Shop on the A53 on the Market Drayton road if you should get that far. Avoid the Clive Gardens - they charge an entry fee, and the entrance is about 2/3rds of a mile from the main road!
Perhaps the fisherman's friend you've found is comparable to the one at Tarvin Sands, formally Elvis's? It passes muster but not as salubrious as Poplar2K or Dones Green (Let's Eat).
Went to a 'fisherman's friend' near Thorne (A614) a few years ago to join a post new year audax on a very frosty January morning. Lovely bacon butties; at least they tasted lovely, you could not see them for the condensation on one's specs!
MBobs

Mike Roberts

Postby thetrotter » Sun Nov 16, 2014 12:14 am

Yes, similar to Elvis's (although much larger and a better situation on a nice day - really quite scenic around there). Thanks for the tip about Hunger Hill Farm Shop. Will add that to the list.
thetrotter

Postby Mike Roberts » Mon Nov 24, 2014 7:47 pm

The Trotter wrote:
As part of my continuing tour of NW cafes, I went to the Lakeside Cafe at Whitmore.

Been there today.

Beans on or two eggs on 2 rounds of toast only £2. Hot drinks 80p.

Currently, hot food only between 7 a.m. and 2 p.m.

Cheap and nutritious but not salubrious.

About 1/4 mile from the road along a stony track.

Would not personally recommend it for a sizeable group. Definitely no sign of cakes.
MBobs

Mike Roberts

Postby thetrotter » Mon Nov 24, 2014 11:30 pm

Went to Elvis's last week. Definitely a cut above the Lakeside - they even had (not particularly nice) chocolate doughnuts.
Admin wrote:added to cafe page
thetrotter

Postby Mike Roberts » Tue Nov 25, 2014 6:41 pm

Elvis's, or what its correct name is now, not on the Café map; but ought to be.

Have you (Mr Trotter) ever been to The Greedy Pig in Kelsall? I recommend it for a small group.
There is a little inside accommodation; a window seat or 3; but outside seating exists for any preferring an 'al fresco' bap made to order with a comprehensive choice of modestly priced fillings.
Excellent coffee, with, if I recall correctly, a free top-up.
Very nice cycling friendly lady proprietor!
MBobs

Mike Roberts

Postby thetrotter » Tue Nov 25, 2014 8:35 pm

Mike

You keep sending in the crosses and I'll nod 'em in the net.

As it happens, went there today. Four window stools plus another you can use plus four outdoor tables. Coffee very good as is the food. Cake prepackaged slices but nice enough. My reference (large) bacon bap and coffee was £4.80 with a free refill (but didn't have time). Proprieter is actually a cyclist herself. Free wi-fi a bonus. Too small for the club run but nice destination for a ride (I approached it via the back of Delamere Forest)

David
thetrotter

Postby Mike Roberts » Tue Nov 25, 2014 10:21 pm

Approaching it from the direction you did, may mean via the Mouldsworth road, and the climb from the crossroads after the railway bridge, or might mean via the bridleway past the Visitor Ctr., which you commented on in an earlier posting.

If the former route, you may have seen signs for Eddisbury Fruit Farm Tea Room/ Café. It proved a disappointment many months ago; more than a year at least; as the people in charge couldn't reckon up the prices accurately and, if I remember right, the menu choices weren't all that attractive.

Is there anything at the Lady Heyes craft complex these days? There's a bakery by the lights in Frodsham that may be worth exploring; but not on a Sunday!

And yes the lady at The Greedy Pig is a very attractive cyclist.
MBobs

Mike Roberts

Postby thetrotter » Tue Nov 25, 2014 10:55 pm

Did it from the cross roads after the railway bridge and just followed my nose. Road went underneath the main road to Chester and came out right alongside The Greedy Pig. Did see the signs to the other place but was too focused on the prospect of my bacon butty. Came back past Rose Farm at Ukinton and then through Whitegate, up the unmade track over the river, and back through Davenham (reverse of Three Loops).
thetrotter

Postby thetrotter » Wed Dec 03, 2014 6:19 pm

Today's visit by the Cycling Trip Advisor (sounds like a dubious role from the 60s) was to the Tea Cosy at the Lady Heyes Craft Centre near Kingsley. Lots of tables, plentiful and cheap food and friendly service (plus free wi fi ). A full English Breakfast with tea was £6.95 and my reference cappuccino and bacon sandwich was £5.00. Good selection of cakes as well. Worth adding to the cafe list since it would be a good alternative to Delamere Station for a comparable distance. Post code is WA6 6SU.
Admin wrote:added to cafe page
thetrotter

Postby Mike Roberts » Fri Dec 05, 2014 6:00 pm

Really pleased/ grateful for your last report, Dave.

Have been labouring over the Lady Heyes website recently trying to determine if there was a watering hole there any longer.

We feared it was now barren but your visit, happily, confirms otherwise.
MBobs

Mike Roberts

Postby thetrotter » Fri Dec 05, 2014 6:53 pm

Mike

Not only still there , but has been comprehensively refurbished. You can even the your bike with you into the loo (if that's your thing).

David
thetrotter

Postby thetrotter » Thu Feb 12, 2015 5:23 pm

Another cafe to add to our list - JA Coffee in Audlem. Used to be called The Pinfold and is in the new development opposite the village hall. New owner is very friendly and keen to encourage cyclists. Provides a good alternative to the Old Priest House - which can get very full - and prices slightly lower. Also has free wi-fi.
thetrotter

Return to Club runs