Forum

The Ramblers Retreat Dimmingsdale nr Alton

Club runs discussion

The Ramblers Retreat Dimmingsdale nr Alton

Postby thetrotter » Wed Nov 05, 2014 11:31 pm

Another day and another new cafe discovered by your roving gourmet and coffee lover. Nice location with tasteful guitar playing (I kid you not) while you eat (and yes it is frequented by walkers as well as cyclists). Probably a 70 mile round trip from Macc with some significant hills (generally not that long but very steep) in the way. So only for a Saturday run in summer and then perhaps with a 12 noon start but worth considering for the Wednesday ride? More expensive than the Lockgate with my benchmark bacon sandwich and coffee coming to £7. But it was a very large sandwich with side trimmings. http://www.ramblersretreat.co.uk/
Samuel Pecke : A bald headed buzzard content only in wenching, lying and drinking.
thetrotter

Re: The Ramblers Retreat Dimmingsdale nr Alton

Postby Mike Roberts » Thu Nov 06, 2014 4:02 pm

You've never been there before?

Did you try the climb out of Oakamoor toward Cotton on your way home?

Nice route there via Cellarhead and Dilhorne and down into Alton. Lovely on a sunny day along the Churnet valley.

Best reception I ever received there was on a cold wet day when the staff bent over to find us a table.

On my to do list is to visit Denstone Farm café. Let us know if you get there first.
MBobs

AKA Mr Grub Street - whatever that implies!
Mike Roberts

Postby thetrotter » Thu Nov 06, 2014 7:16 pm

Went out via Ipstones, Ramsthorn and the back way to Alton Towers. Came back up the valley road which has some very steep and slippery climbs and then skirted Cheadle. Know the climb from Oakamore to Cotton though - did you know that the church in Cotton was designed by Pugin (most famous for the Palace of Westminster?) Not been to Denstone Farm yet.
Samuel Pecke : A bald headed buzzard content only in wenching, lying and drinking.
thetrotter

Postby Mike Roberts » Thu Nov 06, 2014 8:44 pm

I meant to enquire if you'd been with the Vets with whom we saw you at Cheshire Farm. I don't doubt that Bob Norton knows the Cheadle area quite well.
From Macclesfield it's not so easy unless you simply follow the A523 to The Green Man or the A-road via Biddulph to Fegg Hayes and Norton. For such a longish run, Lask Edge isn't all that inviting...
MBobs

AKA Mr Grub Street - whatever that implies!
Mike Roberts

Postby thetrotter » Thu Nov 06, 2014 8:51 pm

Yes, went with the Chelford Vets (although we set off from Rudyard!). I think that it's not a real problem getting there from Macc - take the quiet route to Ipstones and then drop to Froghall, cut across to Oakamore, up to Alton Towers and you're there (35 miles?). Could return via Cotton, Ipstones and then Morridge. Only problem is that there are some pretty steep hills in the way :(
thetrotter

Return to Club runs