Forum

Wednesday Rides from Broken Cross

Club runs discussion

Wednesday Rides from Broken Cross

Postby Mike Roberts » Tue Oct 28, 2014 11:57 am

Whilst NOT Macclesfield Wheelers organised rides, it has been general practise to publicise changes to these regular group rides from Broken Cross so that occasionally available members of the Wheelers or new pensioners may plan a day out...

For the foreseeable future; i.e. perhaps at least during the next 4-months (Greenwich Mean Time); but subject to change given the participants experience, some of our group have decided to meet at 9.30 a.m. rather than 9.00 a.m.

Their meeting point will remain the car park on the corner of Princes Way and Gawsworth Road, Broken Cross.

They intend to ride to the same lunchtime ‘watering hole’ as those who choose to continue to meet at 9.00 a.m. and a member of this earlier departing group will strive to let them know by text where they are going.

Whilst partly aiming to avoid the morning school traffic congestion, it is also a desire to cover the same route or a slightly longer one at a quicker pace.

Returning after lunch will, as now, be an individual choice depending on needs to be home before dark or perhaps more importantly to take spouses out for a meal, host a Bridge evening, or attend a Football Match?!?
MBobs

AKA Mr Grub Street - whatever that implies!
Mike Roberts

Re: Wednesday Rides from Broken Cross

Postby Mike Roberts » Wed Dec 23, 2015 11:33 am

I have received an enquiry from a Kevin Tang, who I do not know. If anyone knows his contact details, please pass the following information to him.

He has asked for details of the Wednesday rides from Broken Cross, which I would emphasise are NOT Macclesfield Wheelers' rides, but on which members of Macclesfield Wheelers are welcomed... NB these rides do not have 'leaders', but refreshment stop decisions and routes to them, and home again, are shared and agreed among who turns up on the day.

Two rides leave Broken Cross car park; junction of Gawsworth Road and Princes Way; at 9 a.m. and 9.30 a.m. approximately. The destination routinely is NOT agreed prior to the date of the ride, UNLESS by general agreement the regular riders have decided upon an 'away' day, or there is some other special event; e.g. at Xmas or on other infrequent occasions. In such cases, information will be circulated by text, email, and occasionally through this Forum.

Average speed, for the 9 o'clock ride is determined by who joins the ride. Every effort is made to be considerate to the slowest rider, who it is suggested should be able to complete a 70-mile ride at an average between 12 and 14 mph. The 9.30 ride attracts folk who like to push on faster. Routinely the slower group text a co-ordinator for the 'medium' group with the chosen lunchtime stop.

It is necessary that riders are equipped with appropriate accessories and spares; i.e. mudguards, tubes, a pump, lights and batteries; and know how to maintain and repair their cycles, although advice and assistance is often forthcoming. Suitable clothing is of paramount importance.
MBobs

AKA Mr Grub Street - whatever that implies!
Mike Roberts

Re: Wednesday Rides from Broken Cross

Postby dharbott » Thu Dec 24, 2015 5:58 pm

Kevin is a (new) prospective member, he's been out on a recent Saturday club run and joined a couple of the Sunday easy rides I believe. As he's not yet joined I don't have his email address in the membership database, so I can't pass this on.

Someone else may be able to...
David Harbottle
dharbott

Return to Club runs