Forum

Retirement

Club runs discussion

Retirement

Postby jjackson » Sat Sep 13, 2014 9:09 am

After over 25 years of leading the Saturday club runs I have decided to retire as Saturday Club runs leader.
Any volunteers for the position please post their interest on the forum or Facebook or email gensec@macclesfieldwheelers.org.uk The new leader will be elected at the AGM
A "job description" will be posted on the Forum soon.
jjackson
Site Admin

Re: Retirement

Postby eddiegcycle » Sat Sep 13, 2014 9:42 am

Sorry to hear this John, in the short time I've been a member I've really enjoyed your routes, rides, help and support as I'm sure have countless others.
Cheers John.
eddiegcycle

Postby andyjak » Sat Sep 13, 2014 10:02 am

I'd just like to echo Eddie's view. When I joined the Wheelers first time round (early 90's),I remember you 'buzzing' up and down the group keeping everyone in line! It was a hard task then and seems even harder these days. Thanks very much for the selfless devotion you have shown, I hope the newbie has the same amounts of stamina, patience and dedication. Chapeau John.
andyjak

Postby thetrotter » Sat Sep 13, 2014 11:13 am

Could I just echo those sentiments. Just shows how much the Club has come to depend on a few individuals to keep it going. John will be irreplaceable and I suspect that they we will need several people to fill his shoes. Time for others to step up to the plate and help keep the Wheelers as successful in the future as it has been in the past. Chapeau John :cheers:
Samuel Pecke : A bald headed buzzard content only in wenching, lying and drinking.
thetrotter

Postby Simon Galgut » Sat Sep 13, 2014 6:28 pm

I shall volunteer for this, but it is a position that could benefit from a job share with at least one other if anyone else would consider it.
Simon Galgut

Postby AlexTaylor » Sat Sep 13, 2014 10:42 pm

I don't get to do club runs any more due to work/kids ( I can't remember when my last one was) but I loved the ones I've done, fond memories of John keeping me going!
@NapD
AlexTaylor

Postby fredspark » Sun Sep 14, 2014 12:45 pm

A well deserved retirement John. I hope you look back with fondness and satisfaction, you've helped bring a lot of us into the club and introduce us to some great cycling. I hope you will still make some guest appearances and find some of those horrible hills and "its all ride-able on a road bike" tracks for us to moan about.
As for the job vacancy, its obviously a very important role in the club and its probably really is a case of " there is no other John Jackson". I also think it will need more than one to fill Johns boots. Maybe a pool or rota of ride leaders with one person co-coordinating.
End of an era

Cheers

Fred W
Fred W
fredspark

Postby jjackson » Sun Sep 14, 2014 7:51 pm

Thanks for the kind comments. I will be still on a lot of club runs and may be a guest leader on a few rides.
Next year I will be concentrating on the Paris - Brest - Paris 1200km audax which I hope to compleate in under 80 hours (3 days 8 hours)
In early 2015 I will need to ride 200 , 300, 400 and 600km qualifing events. To ensure I finish I will need to be riding longer distances quickly with few stops.
jjackson
Site Admin

Postby Brain » Sun Sep 14, 2014 9:03 pm

Wot no John!!!!
you seem to have been in that role forever John, fantastic effort,
thank you
Brain

Postby jjackson » Tue Oct 07, 2014 8:31 pm

We do need at least 2 ride leaders one for the faster group and one for the slower. The ride leader should keep the group together and ensure no one is left behind.
jjackson
Site Admin

Postby PaulH » Tue Oct 07, 2014 8:59 pm

Dave Higham and me have sort of led the fast group between us over the last year or two, depending on who happens to be there that particular week. I'm sure Dave is happy to carry on as am I.

I suppose it would continue in the same format, ie. both groups head to the same destination then there are options for folks wanting to change group at the cafe stop.
PaulH

Postby petemcg » Wed Oct 08, 2014 11:37 am

Good points made by John Jackson but I'd say that a runs leader needs a number 2 to ride at the back to make sure everyone is together and gives the signal to carry on at junctions and the top of hills.

Cheers

Pete Chairio :salut:
petemcg

Postby Simon Galgut » Wed Oct 08, 2014 6:45 pm

I thought we managed quite well on Saturday although it was a bit like herding cats at times.

Chris C has volunteered to help as well and did the counting and riding at the back bit. The only alternative is for the TEC to wear a fluorescent Orange (tangerine!) bobble hat so the leader can see when the group is together.
Simon Galgut

Postby thetrotter » Wed Oct 08, 2014 7:21 pm

petemcg wrote:Good points made by John Jackson but I'd say that a runs leader needs a number 2 to ride at the back to make sure everyone is together and gives the signal to carry on at junctions and the top of hills.

Cheers

Pete Chairio :salut:

At the very least people should shout "up the line" when someone has been delayed so that the Leader knows. Danger of making this so formal that it doesn't work. Current arrangement where John emails a group of people when he can't make it seems to work OK and as Paul says we have managed to "cox and box" a leader for a faster group when required.
Samuel Pecke : A bald headed buzzard content only in wenching, lying and drinking.
thetrotter

Postby thetrotter » Wed Oct 08, 2014 7:23 pm

And off topic, thanks Paul for the information on Boa. Got the parts from the US in about three days. Bit fiddly to fit but all fine now.
thetrotter

Next

Return to Club runs