Forum

Poplar 2000 22nd Oct

Club runs discussion

Poplar 2000 22nd Oct

Postby mochit » Sat Oct 22, 2011 9:23 pm

Another Wheeler accident!.....Paul and I were.on the way home going along CatchPenny Lane and a some people were walking right in the middle of the road with children, pram and dog, they turned and saw us but didn't move and just carried on. We then had to squeeze past and then as we overtook and moved in the dog ran right out in front of me, it wasn't on a lead......I crashed right into it and came flying off my bike landing on my back and smashing my head on the ground......back of helmet smashed, bruised/cut elbow, bruised hip and very shaken up. After a lot of swearing at these 'hooray henrys'.....who told us we should have a bell on our bikes!....... I just told them to disappear. We eventually set off and got home feeling well angry and very sore. :cry: Pinarello ok, saddle a bit roughed up, but don't think I'll be going out tomorrow :(
mochit

Re: Poplar 2000 22nd Oct

Postby Chris C » Mon Oct 24, 2011 3:00 pm

Blimey, good thing you were 'only' on the Pinarello. I wouldn't have fancied being the dog's owner if the dolly bike had got scratched.

Get well soon.

Chris
Chris C

Postby Mike Roberts » Mon Oct 24, 2011 3:17 pm

Just imagine if the dog had been injured and they'd had the audacity to initiate legal proceedings to recover £00's in Vets bills!!!

You could of course make a claim against them for damage to yourself and your Pinarello!!!

Wednesday rider nearly wiped out by a dolly bird in a Mercedes CLK last week. She drove straight at him. Lesson learned for next time, which hopefully will not result in an injury/ measurable damage (again), but might lead to a prosecution for driving without due care and attention, if we are able to stop the miscreant and extract name and address...
MBobs

AKA Mr Grub Street - whatever that implies!
Mike Roberts

Postby Toni Mion » Mon Oct 24, 2011 5:33 pm

Highway Code Section 56:-

Dogs. Do not let a dog out on the road on its own. Keep it on a short lead when walking on the pavement, road or path shared with cyclists or horse riders.

Linky
http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/TravelAndTransport/Highwaycode/DG_069853
Toni Mion

Postby thetrotter » Tue Oct 25, 2011 4:26 pm

And under The Control of Dogs Order 1992, "any dog in a public place must wear a collar with the name and address of the owner engraved or written on it, or engraved on a tag". Details are here:

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/1992 ... cle/2/made

Probably a bit late for Cath but useful to know for future incidents. Dog owners are liable for damage caused by their dogs (most household policies cover this a third party claim).

Hope that you're not too bruised.
Samuel Pecke : A bald headed buzzard content only in wenching, lying and drinking.
thetrotter

Postby bikemadpat » Thu Oct 27, 2011 11:39 am

Sorry to hear about your dog-induced crash. Dog owners can be so arrogant (and I am a vet). I'd be mortified if one of mine took someone off a bike - then again, I tend not to let my dogs off on a public road. I wouldn't hesitate in taking the owners to court (even though I dislike ambulance-chasing personal injury companies). I've had 2 clients who have now been sued for the actions of their dogs causing a third party to fall over whilst walking...
bikemadpat

Postby mochit » Fri Oct 28, 2011 8:22 pm

Thanks Pat, good to hear from you......and thanks to all - some useful links too, if this happens to anyone again :roll:
I must admit I was so shaken up, I didn't think to take name/address of dog owner. Thankfully I'm ok now, really sore/stiff neck for 3 days, didn't sleep too well but miraculous recovery.....unlike Pinarello, on closer look.....scaped carbon brake lever, scuffed brand-new white saddle, scuffed pedal, scratched rear mech - that would be quite a lot of £'s to replace new. Also sent off £100 to get a replacement Giro Aeon helmet (£180 real price). As Chris says....as least it wasn't the cool custom Pego or dolly bike as he calls it :wink:
mochit

Return to Club runs