Forum

What difference does aero stuff make?

Time Trials discussion (Club and Open)

What difference does aero stuff make?

Postby AlexTaylor » Fri Nov 14, 2008 5:28 pm

Interesing little article on BikeRadar...

http://www.bikeradar.com/news/article/how-aero-is-aero-19273
@NapD
AlexTaylor

Re: What difference does aero stuff make?

Postby Mike Roberts » Fri Nov 14, 2008 6:30 pm

If you read the Comic, have a gander at the article on the new competition for 2009 allegedly spawned by Ian Cammish, which gives a comparison of TT records achieved with and without aero aids.
MBobs

AKA Mr Grub Street - whatever that implies!
Mike Roberts

Postby AlexTaylor » Fri Nov 14, 2008 7:05 pm

I read not the comic but I am aware of such an event...
@NapD
AlexTaylor

Postby thetrotter » Fri Nov 14, 2008 10:19 pm

Interesting article although not sure that the same position is being used for the road bike and TT frame comparisons.

Further discussion here with yours truly chipping in:

http://www.bikeradar.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=12594296

My experience is that you will see some significant improvements (probably over 2 minutes in a 25) if you use aero gear properly. The first step is to sort out your position (which needs more than just clipping aero bars to an existing road bike) and then to get some decent deep section wheels. Everything else is (sometimes very expensive) icing on the cake. :salut:
Samuel Pecke : A bald headed buzzard content only in wenching, lying and drinking.
thetrotter

Postby AlexTaylor » Sat Nov 15, 2008 11:05 am

I do a max sustainable heart rate test every once in a while to work out my training zones. This is a run flat out for three miles. Not super scientific but it seems to work.
I did one at the end of September on my TT setup (Just my old Fondriest frame with proper aero bar setup and Mavic Aksiums) and despite being less fit than when I did my last one I was quicker by 35 seconds!

Bring on the 10s!
@NapD
AlexTaylor

Postby graham » Mon Nov 17, 2008 9:25 pm

Going back a few years I rode an open' 25' on Chelford on my standard road bike (just because there was a prize for it ) and did about an hour ,which was approx 3 mins slower than my time on my TT bike with rear disc ,aero bars and helmet.

Having said that I have also done a short 53 min '25' in the ''olden days'' on a conventional bike before aero bars where invented, using 28 spoke wheels , toe clips and straps (but I was trying bloody hard that day!!)

No doubt about it aero bikes and don't forget all the scientific training we now know about plus increased traffic counts have all led a major improvement in TT times. Gone are the days of getting under the hour on Chelford meant probably winning the race. :-D
graham
graham

Return to Time Trials