Forum

TT results upload?

Time Trials discussion (Club and Open)

TT results upload?

Postby Scottjwilson1987 » Fri Jul 18, 2014 11:56 am

Who uploads the TT results? They seem to take an age to come up on the website!
Scottjwilson1987

Re: TT results upload?

Postby MalcolmF » Fri Jul 18, 2014 12:30 pm

Scott,

I'm not sure who uploads the results, but I guess one of the things that takes the time is working out the handicap points?

Would it be worth uploading the names and times first so that the results are displayed more promptly, and then adding the handicap points later?

If other riders are like me - When you record a good time you want the world to know as soon as possible. But when you record a bad time you don't care whether the results are ever published!
MalcolmF

Postby Scottjwilson1987 » Fri Jul 18, 2014 1:01 pm

Hi Malcolm,

Yeah that might be a good idea. Then at least it lets people know it's being done and they haven't just been forgotten about. I understand people work and it takes time etc but it usually takes a week, and lets be honest most of us go because of the competition (if not against others - against ourselves) and I know a few of us constantly check for them! As sad as it may be!
Scottjwilson1987

Postby jjackson » Fri Jul 18, 2014 3:05 pm

Results do take time as they have to be typed up from riders scrawl. The handicaps are then calculated before been uploaded. Uploading the results without handicaps results in triplicating of effort. Remember results are produced by volunteers who have a familly, work and thier own cycling. I hope that you will repay these volunteers by helping out at the 10s, the August Road race or the December Cyclo cross.
jjackson
Site Admin

Postby Scottjwilson1987 » Fri Jul 18, 2014 5:44 pm

Hi John,

I do realise this, that is why I said "I realise they have work etc". I have already spoken to Dave Harbottle about volunteering and said that I would, but at the end of the day we pay our membership and our subs on the night so it would be nice to find out results. I was just asking (as a lot of people have been thinking it and asking each other) - and not criticising as I gathered it would be a volunteer.

Scott
Scottjwilson1987

Postby lfcquin » Fri Jul 18, 2014 6:22 pm

Let's just do what Alex has done and take a pic with a camera and post to the forum. It's what most clubs do. No worries then. :)
lfcquin

Postby petemcg » Fri Jul 18, 2014 7:48 pm

JJ as the webmaster has done an incredible job in managing this page for many years as well as contributing to the club in such a fantastic way for around 40 years, no-one can complain about his efforts and we should all be thanking him for what he does. The results get posted just as soon as is reasonably possible.

Scott makes a good point though that getting them on the fb page and the forum quickly is important for many members so Alex has the best idea, take a pic and post it!!

Cheers everyone for their contributions :-D :-D :salut:

Pete Chairio
petemcg

Postby jjackson » Fri Jul 18, 2014 9:06 pm

We should have a proper set of fully checked results rather than a photo of an unchecked result. Normally they are one within a few days. Unfortunaly John Bagualey has been busy and the results have been delayed. Please do not complain about the hard working volunteers.
jjackson
Site Admin

Postby lfcquin » Fri Jul 18, 2014 9:33 pm

I'm not sure what is unchecked about them John at the point they are shared with the competitors, but I for one would be happy to know approximately my time even if it is adjusted by a few seconds later for some reason. If it was possible for me to stay around at the end of the time trial I would have the same perception of my result.

I am most definitely not having a go at volunteers. I hugely appreciate the effort as I am sure everyone else does, if Im not volunteering to do it myself I have absolutely no right to suggest someone else isn't doing a great job. But I honestly believe Alex has a really simple solution, put all of the disclaimers around it that are necessary to satisfy the club, but let's not kill a great idea.
lfcquin

Postby dharbott » Thu Jul 31, 2014 8:06 am

So, the Macclesfield Wheelers 10TT 2014 season ends on a high.
Well done everyone, it's been a good series this year, seeing plenty of new riders, some interesting guests, and blessed with some great weather too. But don't forget: there's still the hill-climb challenges to come over the next two weeks.

Then you can have a nice rest until next year...
David Harbottle
dharbott

Postby Mike Roberts » Thu Jul 31, 2014 11:58 am

And don't lose sight of the guy who first suggested using the present course, way back in the 1970s.

Former Milk Race winner and professional - Billy Holmes - still very actively involved in running the Dave Raynor Fund.
MBobs

AKA Mr Grub Street - whatever that implies!
Mike Roberts

Postby JohnB » Thu Jul 31, 2014 10:53 pm

Actually Mike it was me that suggested using the Congleton road after Billy asked why couldn't we find a course nearer than Chelford, we rough measured it in his car and it was used a few times before being accurately measured by the local RTTC (CTT) officials.
JohnB

Return to Time Trials