Forum

Cheshire Road Clubs Open 50

Time Trials discussion (Club and Open)

Cheshire Road Clubs Open 50

Postby neilmorris » Mon Jul 06, 2009 10:57 pm

Message for D Higham and S Jackson - apologies but I cannot find you on the members list.

I am riding my first 50 on Saturday and could do with some advice on how to pace myself. Please no replies like:

- if you can talk you are not trying hard enough
- max heart rate for 50 miles
- ride until you throw up...! :lol:

John Jackson suggested treating it like 2 x 25's; however after some careful thought I realised that if I did that I would simply get off the bike after 25 miles.......

Appreciate the advice.
neilmorris

Re: Cheshire Road Clubs Open 50

Postby jjackson » Tue Jul 07, 2009 1:06 pm

neilmorris wrote:John Jackson suggested treating it like 2 x 25's;

Ride the first 25 miles at around a 1:3:30 pace aim to keep a simlilar pace for the 2nd 25. Your 1:1:12 25mile time was only 4 minutes slower than riding your fastest 10mile 2.5 times.
Good Luck
jjackson
Site Admin

Postby thetrotter » Tue Jul 07, 2009 6:03 pm

neilmorris wrote:
Please no replies like:

- if you can talk you are not trying hard enough
- max heart rate for 50 miles
- ride until you throw up...! :lol:

Appreciate the advice.

You've summarised it very well :shock:

Don't start too fast and then just try and ride at slightly below your 25 pace. One trick I try sometimes is to use one sprocket bigger than I would normally (eg 15 rather than a 14) which prevents frying my legs too early. Given that J4/16 is effectively three laps you can check your effort reasonably easily.
Samuel Pecke : A bald headed buzzard content only in wenching, lying and drinking.
thetrotter

Postby neilmorris » Sat Jul 11, 2009 9:23 pm

First 50 completed in an official time of 2.09.

However this time does not allow for the spectacular bike skills I showed when a stobarts lorry decided to turn into stocks lane ignoring me and giving me no option but to slide sideways into the front cab. After a 'discussion' with the driver I realised that standing about shouting expletives was doing my time no good and I got back on my bike only to be held up at the next junction by a 4x4 that decided to sit in the middle of the junction deliberately to slow the cyclists down. Oh well, had plenty of time to take refreshments and chat to the nice "marshall' (hope the misses does not read this :oops: ).

I will be back...

How did Dave get on?
neilmorris

Postby thetrotter » Sat Jul 11, 2009 9:53 pm

2.00.56 which just got me into the top ten (I think) and cost me a damaged wheel :( when I hit one of the enormous new potholes that have sprung up around the course. Eight rides under two hours and won by Mark Lovatt in 1.52.27. Thought your time was excellent and even better given the "distractions" - all part of the joys of Cheshire time trialing. BTW, which is Stocks Lane?
Samuel Pecke : A bald headed buzzard content only in wenching, lying and drinking.
thetrotter

Postby neilmorris » Sat Jul 11, 2009 11:13 pm

Stocks is the first turn to the left past the Barclays site and the Whipping Stocks Inn on the A50 (after the dip past seven sisters).

2 hr's superb.. :salut:
neilmorris

Postby thetrotter » Sun Jul 12, 2009 12:28 am

Results now here (despite the 2008):

http://www.cheshireroadsclub.care4free. ... et2008.htm

Pity Trevor Horton was riding otherwise would have taken the vets prize. Would have gone a small way to the cost of replacing my wheel. I feel a (probably pointless) claim against Cheshire East coming on. Out tomorrow with the camera.
thetrotter

Return to Time Trials