Forum

Wild Wales Challenge

Old posts

Wild Wales Challenge

Postby JohnP » Tue Mar 30, 2010 10:40 pm

I've just picked up on the YACF forum that the WWC is cancelled, at least for this year. The reason given is the rising burden of health and safety reg's. :x
Me transmitte sursum, Caledoni!
JohnP

Re: Wild Wales Challenge

Postby jjackson » Wed Mar 31, 2010 10:14 am

From Wild Wales web site:-
Chroesawa at `r Gwyllt Cymru Heria.
A message to all riders of the Wild Wales Challenge.
You may have wondered why the 2010 entry forms for this long standing event have not been available. The Merseyside CTC has tried to move with current safety requirements that seem to attach themselves to events such as ours. Our safety record has been excellent and the huge success of this events speaks for itself. More riders seem to want to take part than we can possibly allow.
However, it is with deep regret that we have had to take the reluctant action to withdraw this event from the season's Challenge Calendar. It has been an extremely difficult decision to take and we have left it as long as we possibly could. We realise that a lot of people make their appropriate plans so we have decided now is time for this announcement.
Thank you all for supporting our previous events and circumstances permitting we will get it back where it belongs- In the Heart of Wales - not languishing in a pile of paperwork. Your Safety is our main objective and we take it seriously.
Mike Jones,
(Merseyside CTC President.)

Ridden it every year since 1985, Mrs J plans our holidays to avoid this date what do I do on the Bank holiday Sunday.
:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:
jjackson
Site Admin

Postby alecstilleyedye » Wed Mar 31, 2010 5:25 pm

perhaps if enough people are interested, could we do an away day on a route from bala?
alecstilleyedye

Postby tytherington » Wed Mar 31, 2010 7:14 pm

I have only ridden this once and a challenge it was for me , on a personal note a real shame this was a well organised ride and as been a well spoken subject on many a club run, what will cyclist do on bank holiday Sunday?.
tytherington

Postby John Bags » Fri Apr 02, 2010 2:10 pm

What a shame, a great event with always a big turnout of wheelers, a sad reflection of Health & Safety mania!
Perhaps we could organise an away day or find an alternative event?
John Baguley
John Bags

Postby Elaine » Sat Apr 03, 2010 8:06 pm

It was a great social occasion for those of us that camped or stayed in Bala for the weekend, I've been a helper since 2003 after I was asked to retired from the event at Bettws. They told me I had to be in front of the sag wagon not following it:-)))

Gutted.
cheers

Elaine
Elaine
Forum Moderator

Postby Elaine » Sat Apr 03, 2010 8:12 pm

John Bags wrote:What a shame, a great event with always a big turnout of wheelers, a sad reflection of Health & Safety mania!
Perhaps we could organise an away day or find an alternative event?

There is always the Bishops Castle weekend in May, which is a club event and has camping facilities and I'm the sag wagon carrying all your bags etc.
cheers

Elaine
Elaine
Forum Moderator

Postby jjackson » Sat Apr 03, 2010 8:25 pm

Elaine wrote:There is always the Bishops Castle weekend in May, which is a club event and has camping facilities and I'm the sag wagon carrying all your bags etc.

Bishops Castle is now fully booked. Anyone wishing to go will be added to the reserve list
jjackson
Site Admin

Postby NickC » Mon Apr 05, 2010 10:05 pm

This makes me so mad. First the Leek Legbreaker ruined by some litigious twerp, and now the WWC. When I tried to take a group of my son's cubs on the Middlewood Way I was sent SEVENTEEN different forms including declarations that I did not have any fireaters or wild animals... I'd be quite interested to know what the real health and safety concerns are: we are all grown-ups and the organisers do not have to take responsibility for our riding...do they?
NickC

Postby petemcg » Tue Apr 06, 2010 8:58 am

I rode the event for the first time last year and although it left me with a knee injury caused by riding up stuff I should have walked, it is just a fantastic and well organised event.
It would be superb to organise an away day or weekend event of our own, perhaps anyone interested would like to make themselves known.

Let's hope the organisers can get things sorted for next year and then we can look at being the best represented club there.

Cheers

Pete Chairio
petemcg

Postby JohnP » Tue Apr 06, 2010 11:03 pm

Elaine and I have just spent the weekend down in Bala. Well now that the 'Wild Wales Challenge' no longer refers to a bike ride it could be the new name for the gents' facilities at Ty Isaf campsite. :pottytrain5: :laughing6: No No its a wonderful place really. I had a real quality 100k's over to Vrynwy, up the Bwlch, Dinas Mawddwy, Dyfi Forest, Dolgellau, Coed y Brenin and back to Bala. I have no doubt that come August bank holiday I will be back for a repeat. Not as much fun as the WWC with its 600 odd assorted Brummies and Scousers but still a crackin ride. Weather is gauranteed.
JohnP

Postby jjackson » Sun May 23, 2010 7:14 pm

On CTC Forum
by nor750ton » Tue Apr 06, 2010 5:29 pm
I'm led to believe that the real reason the Wild Wales 2010 has been cancelled is due to a dispute, over money, between the 2009 organiser and Liverpool District. It is only hearsay of course but E. Jones agreed to organise this event if some contribution from the profits was given to his cycling club. Liverpool appear to have reneged on this, possibly, verbal agreement. If E. Jones and/or Liverpool District wish to comment and set the record straight I'm sure everybody would be delighted.
I would not have written this if Liverpool CTC had bothered to respond to my e-mail, which was written several weeks ago asking where I could obtain an entry form!
It would also be enlightening to know what the exact issue(s) are relating to health and safety. Anybody can hide behind such statements.
Can we see the district minutes which relate to both the health and safety issue and the dispute(assuming there is one)?

Reply from Merseyside DA
FOR THE RECORD
Merseyside CTC are extremely disappointed we have had to take the reluctant decision to cancel the event for the first time since it started in 1984. We have made numerous friends in all those years and we are sure you share in missing the date in the calendar for 2010
The posting from nor750ton appears to contain some significant errors and notice of cancellation can be found on www,merseysidectc.com
Firstly, I would state that all people who help from MERSEYSIDE CTC are all unpaid volunteers who give up a lot of free time to ensure that any event we run is a success. Indeed, it was Emrys Jones himself who instigated the approach to Headquarters of CTC relating to safety issues of cycle events. Events of this scale require thorough planning and that is why we are always pro active in what we do.
It has nothing to do with finance whatsoever, it is purely moving with the times in promoting cycle events involving large numbers. We are talking in excess of 500 riders per event
Should nor750ton or anybody like to email our secretary if they have any further questions, feel free
At this point we put out this plea if anyone can assist in an attempt to promote an event in 2011
They would need experience of matters that are related to large groups of cyclists on the roads of Wales, not a race but purely a challenge. Again, please contact our Secretary who will then pass on your details to the committee. I wish you happy and safe cycling in the coming year.
These are the facts, we are a small group of unpaid volunteers who bring enormous pleasure to many cyclists,friends etc.
Mike Jones
Merseyside CTC President
jjackson
Site Admin

Postby JohnP » Sun Jan 30, 2011 11:04 pm

Its back on this year. Denis Holder has returned from retirement.
Entry form http://www.s198483320.websitehome.co.uk/WWCentryform2011rev.pdf
JohnP

Return to Archive