Forum

school uniform policy

Old posts

school uniform policy

Postby alecstilleyedye » Mon Nov 23, 2009 1:46 pm

my daughter is at tytherington high school and, in view of the long walk and the amount of stuff she has to take, i've fitted a rack to her bike so she can fit her clarinet and whatever on it and ride in rather than walk.

the annoying thing is that she is much more visible in her bright red coat than she is in the school-sanctioned black coat (the school's uniform policy demands dark colours only on raincoats). being a girl of that age, she won't go hi-viz (apart from a couple of armbands), so should the school adopt a more sensible uniform policy, particularly in the light of the highway code's advice for cyclists to wear bright clothing?
alecstilleyedye

Re: school uniform policy

Postby dharbott » Mon Nov 23, 2009 2:44 pm

That's daft, isn't it!

When my eldest started senior school (a few years ago now, Fallibroome) I kitted him up to cycle in... despite the school having a bike shed, CCTV etc, and repeated complaints from me, his bike was vandalised daily until we gave up trying!
David Harbottle
dharbott

Postby Mike Roberts » Tue Nov 24, 2009 12:58 pm

Have a peek at both of these CTC news items: -

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... -road.html

http://www.ctc.org.uk/desktopdefault.aspx?tabid=5301

School head teachers and governors can be most wooden.

I suggest creating a thread on the Macc Express 'letters' website or sending a written letter to the Editor might be one way of diplomatically initiating a change? Also send a copy of your letter to Andrew Knowles (Councillor) and Guy Kilminster at Cheshire East Authority. I can provide their email addresses if you're inclined to.
MBobs

AKA Mr Grub Street - whatever that implies!
Mike Roberts

Postby alecstilleyedye » Tue Nov 24, 2009 3:23 pm

i'll see how she gets on with it (first ride in today), and perhaps a word to the school first would be in order before kicking off a fuss. i'm sure i spotted a livestrong wristband on her form teacher's wrist last parents' evening, so i might get a sympathetic ear…
alecstilleyedye

Return to Archive