Forum

NWCCA R5 - Northwich

Cyclo Cross

NWCCA R5 - Northwich

Postby Buxton Bleat » Mon Oct 22, 2012 9:15 am

A fine sunny day graced the fifth round of NWCCA held in Northwich on Sunday by promoting club Weaver Valley. Surprising the riders on arrival was the sight of the course being run in the opposite direction to usual. The second surprise was just how firm the ground was on what is ordinarily a tough heavy going circuit. Being a quite short course, and following the upsurge in numbers racing, the organisers of late have had to extend the course on the large field by introducing the now notorious ‘post office’ type system of lanes. Ordinarily these countless 180⁰ turns cut up badly and make for a slow entrance and even slower exit. Not so yesterday though as riders could brake late and accelerate hard out of each. This made for some great wheel to wheel racing for the hundred plus starters, especially over the first two laps, with cheeky but fair undercuts paying off handsomely. In years gone by (so I’m informed) there was a greater use of adjacent woodland and this year saw the reintroduction of a testing section which had a fast downhill, running sections, numerous ‘Boardwalks’ and lung busting steps back onto the open spaces.

Team Wheelers were low on numbers this week with just Marcus Fielden riding. Looking to make amends for the previous weeks technical malfunctions, he had a good start placing in the top fifteen eventually finishing a satisfying 22nd place. In a reverse of the previous weeks finishing positions Paul Bethell beat Giles Drake (both Team Elite) in a photo finish. First woman home was reigning league champ Becky Preece (Red Rose Olympic).

Full Results via this page:
http://nwcca.org.uk/2012/10/weaver-vall ... #more-1145

Next Saturday sees the first of two visits to Liverpool’s Otterspool park which is arguably the best course in the league.
https://www.britishcycling.org.uk/event ... ue-Round-6
Buxton Bleat

Re: NWCCA R5 - Northwich

Postby Mike Roberts » Mon Oct 22, 2012 3:28 pm

Jolly lucky with the weather, Marcus.
Leaving home at 10 a.m. riding from Peover to Lach Dennis I spied gloomy mist ahead and indeed suffered it all of the way from Cuddington to Two Mills, reaching there quite cold and barely able to clasp a mug of hot tea!
In consolation I re-entered sunny lanes by Waverton on my way back... and enjoyed a light-free return to Macclesfield.
MBobs

AKA Mr Grub Street - whatever that implies!
Mike Roberts

Postby Buxton Bleat » Tue Oct 23, 2012 10:33 am

Hi Mike,

To be fair it was misty when I arrived but that was quite early on. It soon burnt off. We have been blessed with good weather of late but looks like we're getting an 'Artic blast' this weekend so say BBC.

You didn't mention cake - surely you had cake.
Buxton Bleat

Postby Mike Roberts » Tue Oct 23, 2012 5:31 pm

Nope. I had no cake, just a very warming 'full breakfast' with black pudding, and 2 mugs of tea!

That arctic blast'll get me full on next Saturday riding east north east from Bolsover to Misterton, near Gainsborough,

Looking forward to the tailwind assisted return.
MBobs

AKA Mr Grub Street - whatever that implies!
Mike Roberts

Return to Cyclo Cross