Forum

The Chirk Express 110m Sunday 5th October 2014

Club events, open events, challenge rides, sportives, social events etc.

The Chirk Express 110m Sunday 5th October 2014

Postby Dave Werrell » Sat Sep 20, 2014 11:43 am

THE CHIRK EXPRESS 110 miles SUNDAY 5th OCTOBER 2014

DEPART 8.30am prompt Macclesfield Railway Station Car Park

The Chirk Express is a 110 mile challenge ride between Macclesfield / Chirk / Macclesfield railway stations taking a reasonably direct route. The challenge is, like an express train, to do a 100 mile journey at a brisk pace without stopping! ie. no café stop. It is proposed that the outward leg will be at a brisk pace with the group staying together. At Chirk those that wish to have a café stop can change to the slower 'commuter train' for the journey back that could also stop at Nantwich if needed. The 'express' will continue without stopping at Chirk to arrive back at Macclesfield as a group.

Riders wishing to take part should be confident they can ride the 110 mile distance at express or commuter pace.

The Outward leg is 55m - Macclesfield Railway Station / Congleton /Astbury /Smallwood / Hassall Green / Haslington / Crewe / Nantwich / Acton / Larden Green / Bickley Moss / Malpas / Worthenbury / Holly Bush / Overton / St Martins / Chirk Railway Station. The return leg retraces the outward route.

I attach separate gpx files for the outward and return routes.

Last years Shrewsbury Express attracted only 7 riders that rode the full distance. This years Chirk Express route has far less main roads and more country roads and I hope will be a more enjoyable challenge for more riders.

Hope to see you! Dave (Werrell)
Attachments
Chirk2 Macc 55m.gpx
(192.2 KiB) Downloaded 69 times
Macc2 Chirk 55m.gpx
(191.36 KiB) Downloaded 65 times
Dave Werrell

Re: The Chirk Express 110m Sunday 5th October 2014

Postby Mike Roberts » Sat Sep 20, 2014 5:46 pm

Earn points for the Richard Elliott Trophy competition. 7-for completing the distance, 10-for a non-stopper!

Last counting event for the current year.
MBobs

AKA Mr Grub Street - whatever that implies!
Mike Roberts

Postby Dave Werrell » Thu Oct 02, 2014 8:49 pm

Just a reminder that The Chirk Express leaves from the station car park at 8.30 this Sunday 5th October. I propose that the group ride in the same way as the Sunday training rides ie two abreast with the front right rider changing every 5 minutes or so and at a similar brisk pace. Hope to see a good group of you Sunday!

Dave (Werrell)
Dave Werrell

Postby thetrotter » Fri Oct 03, 2014 9:24 am

Can I use my senior railcard and only ride two thirds of the distance :-D
Samuel Pecke : A bald headed buzzard content only in wenching, lying and drinking.
thetrotter

Postby pedalingparamedic » Sat Oct 04, 2014 12:56 pm

Hi Dave, I'm planning to set out on this ride tomorrow, not been out with the club for a good while due to various things but confident I can do the distance. If the pace proves too much I'll be able to drop off and make my own way home, so hope this is OK?
Tim
Exercising my rights by taking them cycling.
pedalingparamedic

Postby thetrotter » Sat Oct 04, 2014 5:50 pm

Tim

Diesel Dave is probably having his fuel system flushed out in preparation for tomorrow so, yes, that's not a problem. Just make sure that you're there at 0830 because DD is a stickler for time keeping on the railways.

David
Samuel Pecke : A bald headed buzzard content only in wenching, lying and drinking.
thetrotter

Postby pedalingparamedic » Sun Oct 05, 2014 6:09 pm

Tales from an uncoupled carriage!
Thanks to everyone on today's ride who waited at Malpas after I finally blew a gasket on the climb.
Apologies for the hairy moment when I completely stuffed up the process during an early change of riders on the front!
After I eventually got dropped I linked up with similar carriages Gordon and Terry until Nantwich where a cafe stop was taken but I pressed on terrified of how my legs might protest after 20 mins of inactivity. I inadvertently took a detour in Nantwich through Shavington (at least part of it seemed to be signed as NCN route) and rejoined our planned route after passing the Alex ground - and as a bonus happily avoided the unpleasant Nantwich Road through Crewe.
I resisted temptation to cut the ride short for an early bath at Congleton and eventually arrived at Macc Stn at 3.23pm having seen Anthony making his way home as I rode up and seeing Terry at the Flowerpot as I made my way back.
A really enjoyable day out, with the weather totally on our side.
Tim
Exercising my rights by taking them cycling.
pedalingparamedic

Postby thetrotter » Sun Oct 05, 2014 8:37 pm

Glad you enjoyed it. Quite a brisk pace - 19mph out and 19.6mph back. Thanks to Dave for devising an excellent route (bar that awful climb after we passed the horses).
thetrotter

Postby thetrotter » Mon Oct 06, 2014 1:59 pm

Dave Werrell wrote:. I propose that the group ride in the same way as the Sunday training rides ie two abreast with the front right rider changing every 5 minutes or so and at a similar brisk pace.
Dave (Werrell)

Dave

I think that you can chalk yesterday up as a success. The route was much better than last year with the majority in quiet country lanes. It was also a very disciplined ride showing that you can maintain a very high average speed in a group if you work together. Not sure we quite managed to stick to changing every five minutes (unless time was standing still :lol: ) But thanks again. Think that this ride will grow in popularity over time. And you do remember Wheeltappers don't you :shock:

David
thetrotter

Return to Events