Forum

just a ride!

Club events, open events, challenge rides, sportives, social events etc.

just a ride!

Postby andyjak » Mon May 05, 2014 6:10 pm

We are fortunate in that we live in a fantastic part of the country when it comes to climbing on a bike. Flat with quiet lanes, hilly with great views. Mtb routes etc.etc. As the thurs night mtb is temporarily non-functioning, several of us meet at the cenotaph,park green 7.00 on thurs to do the ' tour de macc '. It's not a race, it's not training, 'it's just a ride'. Approx 23 miles. Some flat, some lumpy. A real mix, a nice ride if weather good. A chance to chat, and we wait for the slowest. A bonus is a beer in the Church house, should you so desire! Come along, re-discover the social side of cycling. :thumleft:
andyjak

Re: just a ride!

Postby graham » Mon May 05, 2014 7:45 pm

I hope to come out with Patrick now his new bike is set up with Greg's old bar end levers.
Soon as my hands up to it in early June that is
graham
graham

Postby Brian Evans » Thu May 08, 2014 12:20 pm

Andy, is it on or off road? mountain or road bike or either?
Brian Evans

Postby andyjak » Thu May 08, 2014 1:04 pm

It's a road ride Brian....but that fat tyre thing of yours is probably ok! Steepest climbs are Kerridge....then up Calrofold lane. Looks like a wet one tonight!
andyjak

Postby Mike Roberts » Thu May 08, 2014 6:26 pm

Calrofold Lane is best saved for an August, mid-week, 100km (approx.) Peak Audax starting from Marple. But, even in August, a dry ride may not be guaranteed!
MBobs

AKA Mr Grub Street - whatever that implies!
Mike Roberts

Postby andyjak » Thu May 08, 2014 11:29 pm

It just goes to show... you never can tell! Despite fair weather cyclisme being the order of the evening, two of us enjoyed a wonderful ride round the outskirts of this fair town tonight. And I am not viewing the world through Wychwood breweries fine English Ale -tinted glasses! Not a drop of rain fell on our handlebar-hunched shoulders. Instead, we were treated to swirling cloud views of Sutton common, red backlit Fiddlers ferry, Welsh hills profiled as the west offered up the night. The true majesty of this great locale evident this evening in a wonderful light....photographers among us will understand! As regards 'wildlife corner' Hares, Rabbits, Lambs, Crows, Buzzards, Blackbirds, Tits, et al! [plagiarism Chris? :lol: ] All I can say is 'sorry you missed it'. But I'm not! you had to be there, and this evening has gone FOREVER!
andyjak

Postby andyjak » Tue May 27, 2014 11:00 pm

Regarding this thursdays 'just a ride'. Unfortunately I will be otherwised engaged this week, perhaps A.N.Other could lead the way? May I also suggest it is ridden in reverse...just for a change! I will be dragging Claud Butler around the east coast for a few days. He now weighs 70lbs in preparation for his Scandiland 3 week tour in August. Best to iron out any problems back home, I find. :lol:
andyjak

Postby dharbott » Wed May 28, 2014 7:46 am

Andy - there's a few of us likely to be there who know the route, so the ride will be lead by a suitably responsible adult, hopefully :-)
David Harbottle
dharbott

Postby andyjak » Fri Jul 25, 2014 11:36 am

Last night saw 14 riders complete the now famous 'tour de macc'. A little bit down on 19 riders of last week....but the holiday season is in full swing. Personally, it was my last ride of ' just a ride ' as I am off touring Denmark and Norway ( watch facebook for pics of ' pirates on tour ! ') then it's wild wales wknd. So I won't be around for a month, by which time we will be 'raging against the dying of the light ' One of the real positives to come out of the ride has been the younger people who have ridden it, and with encouragement have tackled le col de Kerridge, lecol de calrofold and a few other lumps and bumps. Two more last night who had never climbed what they thought they couldn't get up. All it takes is a little bit of encouragement and explanation on correct gears. I hope we can continue this in some form over the winter. On a similar theme, last night we discussed off road stuff in a 'toned down' format, the idea being that a lot of us still own mtb's but no longer get to use them as the skill level and fitness level required to keep up with the serious riders is beyond some of us! So if anybody else would be interested in some'easy off rode' let us know. Enjoy the last few 'it's just a ride' and remember NO RACING! and encourage people to enjoy themselves. P.S. Einstein came up with the theory of relativity whilst riding a bicycle....it just goes to show,
andyjak

Postby dharbott » Fri Jul 25, 2014 12:03 pm

Andy,

I searched Facebook for 'pirates on tour' but only found 'Pirates On Top'... I didn't feel inclined to find out what that site was about :-)

The regulars will help 'Le Tour De Macc' stagger on without you for the next few weeks - have a great time in the frozen north.
David Harbottle
dharbott

Postby nrb1403@aol.com » Fri Jul 25, 2014 12:32 pm

Well done Andy, thanks for starting this off and enjoy your bikers holiday, Cheers.
nrb1403@aol.com

Postby JohnB » Fri Jul 25, 2014 6:52 pm

Andy how do I get info about the "Just a Ride" dates, I am particularly interested in the suggestion of some "Offroad" rides.
JohnB

Postby thetrotter » Sat Jul 26, 2014 8:51 am

Re the off road idea, Dave Harbottle did some very successful introductory rides a few years ago. I enjoyed them immensely and learnt a very painful lesson about the traction of off road tyres on wet wood. Sure that would be interest in less technical routes/ ability to walk without shame :)
Samuel Pecke : A bald headed buzzard content only in wenching, lying and drinking.
thetrotter

Postby ellpistolero7 » Sat Jul 26, 2014 10:07 am

As a new member of the wheelers I've really enjoyed 'just a ride' so thanks Andy it's been great to join a social ride and get to know some of you. I would be keen to join in with some off road rides too as I also like a spot of mountain biking.
ellpistolero7

Postby dharbott » Sun Jul 27, 2014 9:06 am

I've spoken with Andy Jackson about the future of this ride yesterday:

* Firstly, this ride has been a great success this summer, and will continue until the clocks change in October - but LONG before then you'll need to have acquired a decent set of lights!

* It is hoped, but not yet planned, to arrange a weekly 'winter' version of this ride - TBC.

* Any organisation of an off-road version will run independently of this 'It's Just A Ride' ride.
David Harbottle
dharbott

Return to Events