Forum

3 Loops - Annual Reliability Rides - March 16th

Club events, open events, challenge rides, sportives, social events etc.

3 Loops - Annual Reliability Rides - March 16th

Postby Mike Roberts » Mon Mar 10, 2014 3:13 pm

For the record, 2 Lyme Avenue (SK11 7RS) as last year will be the start for this year's rides.

Those aiming to complete the 3 Loops (200+km) should prepare ideally to leave at 8 a.m. whilst for 2 Loops it is wise to depart from 8:30 a.m. onwards.

The 'easy ride'; i.e. 1 Loop; does not need such an early start but in my interest anyone intending to arrive and leave after 9 a.m. ought to give prior notice.

It is hoped that route sheets prepared by Celia Elliott will be available at the start, where it would be appreciated if it is or is not the riders intention to return here. Unfortunately it is unlikely any 'gpx' files will be accessible; unless John Perrin or David Werrell can help...

Complications to this year's event include the closure of the bridge over the Whitegate Way and the closure of Flavours (the Lock Gate café at Tiverton). This means that the Whitegate Way itself should be followed from opposite the Winsford Salt Mine, and Cheshire Farm (Newton nr Tattenhall) is the 'hub' for all rides.

It is recommended one studies OS Landranger Sheets 117 &118 if you are unfamiliar with Cheshire.

Off road parking is available for a half dozen vehicles. Anyone wishing to take advantage should please PM me.

Tea and toast will be provide at the start only to those who request it at least 24-hours beforehand.
MBobs

AKA Mr Grub Street - whatever that implies!
Mike Roberts

Re: 3 Loops - Annual Reliability Rides - March 16th

Postby thetrotter » Mon Mar 10, 2014 8:00 pm

Not sure the 1 loop is always that easy a ride...... :(
Samuel Pecke : A bald headed buzzard content only in wenching, lying and drinking.
thetrotter

Postby Knuddy » Mon Mar 10, 2014 8:42 pm

Any way to scoop a map this week ( Wednesday nite) I'm happy to make a GPX file for the long route but I have no idea where the route is going. Happy to return the map afterwards.

Mk
Knuddy

Postby Mike Roberts » Tue Mar 11, 2014 12:11 pm

"Ben and Rowan checked the route yesterday and Cinder Lane has access via the steps with handrail and bikes can be carried down them, so there is no need for a change of route.

I have adjusted the route sheet for a Lyme Avenue start. I will get copies of this to you before Sunday and, I hope, a cake to help with catering.

Thank you for you help."

Best Wishes, Celia Elliott
MBobs

Mike Roberts

Postby Chris C » Tue Mar 11, 2014 2:49 pm

Those aiming at two loops may wish to leave at 8 with any aspirant three loopers. This would enable them to return after lunch with any such three loopers for whom, in the event, two loops turns out to be quite enough thank you very much.
Chris C

Postby Mike Roberts » Tue Mar 11, 2014 4:19 pm

An outstandingly eminent insurance policy!
MBobs

Mike Roberts

Postby Knuddy » Tue Mar 11, 2014 10:37 pm

Hi Mike R, Any chance I could drop by and collect a route map for "GPX'ing" sometime this week. I appreciate this may not be in the true spirit of a reliability ride but my total lack of knowledge about the route and my fascination with technology is getting the better of me.
Knuddy

Postby Mr.Malc » Wed Mar 12, 2014 12:28 pm

With the intention of seeding the snowball, I intend to do 1 loop . Any more takers for 8:45 meet for 9:00 start ? :director:

Mike you're a star for letting us borrow your driveway. Does the Cheshire farm reside at GR 499 599 on map 117 ?

Mr. Malc
Robert Foster, TT Sec

nec dolor nec dolor
Mr.Malc

Postby Mike Roberts » Wed Mar 12, 2014 3:21 pm

Mr.Malc wrote:With the intention of seeding the snowball, I intend to do 1 loop . Any more takers for 8:45 meet for 9:00 start ? :director:

Mike you're a star for letting us borrow your driveway.* Does the Cheshire farm reside at GR 499 599 on map 117 ?

Mr. Malc

Yes, that's the correct Grid Ref.

*Might be an issue if you park first and then more than one parks behind you...
MBobs

Mike Roberts

Postby Mike Roberts » Wed Mar 12, 2014 3:24 pm

Knuddy wrote:Hi Mike R, Any chance I could drop by and collect a route map for "GPX'ing" sometime this week. I appreciate this may not be in the true spirit of a reliability ride but my total lack of knowledge about the route and my fascination with technology is getting the better of me.

Thanks for PM.

Copy of route sheet emailed.

Have a look at .gpx files under Events thread for last year... I am not conversant with such files and not equipped to examine them on an on-line mapping system, but they might only need tweaking a little?
MBobs

Mike Roberts

Postby Mike Roberts » Wed Mar 12, 2014 4:29 pm

Another observation: -

The Cheshire (ice cream) Farm is open for meals until 5pm and drinks up to 5.30pm which should include all who ride.
MBobs

Mike Roberts

Postby Knuddy » Fri Mar 14, 2014 12:13 am

For masochists, training addicts and anyone contemplating riding 312 Km on April 26th. You know you should Si;

Paul H will lead out a select group at 9am from 2 Lyme Avenue (SK11 7RS) onto the 212km route with a target speed of 18-20mph or 27-30k km/h in SI units. This is around 7hrs ride time. The plan is to have one cafe stop around half way. Estimated return 5pm. We will pass the "Main Control" on 3 occasions so some options for adjusting individual ambitions along the way. (Unlike on April 26th...)

A few suggestions on preparation: Get to the start BEFORE 9am, Refuelling: 2 full size bidon's, plenty of pocket food, appropriate clothing and adequate spends for committed refuelling at the cafe. Usual expectation of self-sufficiency for spares and repairs, it is a reliability ride after-all. Pacing similar to the Monday training ride, just a bit further. Map attached, I will also create a GPX file for the full route.

Group so far, Paul H, James, Mike K, Omar, Si! (you know you should),

Mk
Attachments
3Lps 2014.pdf
(115.38 KiB) Downloaded 132 times
Knuddy

Postby Simon Galgut » Fri Mar 14, 2014 9:24 am

<Pedant>

7.5 to 8.33 m/s in SI units

</Pedant>
Simon Galgut

Postby graham » Fri Mar 14, 2014 11:55 am

I'm doing the 1 loop as need to be back for a party in Buxton at 2pm, be there 9 am
i won't be stopping at cafe though unless we are really motoring
graham
graham

Postby Mike Roberts » Sun Mar 16, 2014 10:35 pm

Thirty-one signed on today including four ladies: - Ruth Gamwell, Jill Wesley, Annick Cottom and Laura McGuire.

On completing 1-Loop, Annick and Laura, closely following Dave Higham, returned to base in a most admirable time.

Seven men keen to tackle the full distance suffered a delayed start because of one’s puncture within a few metres of leaving home. It is presumed they all reached Macclesfield safely at their targeted tea-time with well over 200-kilometres in their legs.

Enjoying more sunshine than did Macclesfield, Mike Knudsen and Paul Talbot were back at base by 3:30 p.m. after limiting their effort to 2-Loops; the core Loop to Cheshire Farm and back plus the Frodsham Loop.

The regular Sunday ‘training riders’ expressed concern that after a mishap involving Joe Brownhill’s rear q/r lever, Matt Lawton was left to ‘phone home to be rescued having ripped 6-spokes from his front wheel. In the event, Matt’s innocent charm attracted the attention of a Bunbury resident, who was able to furnish him with a wheel change, enabling him to ride back most enjoyably and by 4 p.m.

Graham Wood and Pete McGuckian also deserve mention. The former for making a determined effort to be home for 2, to attend a birthday party, and the latter to attend a wake – i.e. suffer the vision of Liverpool getting the better of ManU.

Thanks to Celia for the route sheets and a home-baked cake that was thoroughly enjoyed.
MBobs

Mike Roberts

Next

Return to Events