Forum

Richard Elliott Three Loops Ride Sunday March 19th

Club events, open events, challenge rides, sportives, social events etc.

Richard Elliott Three Loops Ride Sunday March 19th

Postby Yogispeed » Mon Feb 27, 2017 7:24 pm

It's that time of year again, a hint of spring in the air, snowdrops, crocuses and daffodils line the hedgerows and the Richard Elliott Three Loops Ride is almost upon us!

This is a great ride, created by and ridden in memory of Richard Elliott, a member of the Wheelers from 1990 and our chairman from 1996 until his death from a heart attack while riding his bike on Brereton Lane, Sproston, in 1998. Whether you knew Richard or not, please take a minute to read the paragraph about him at the bottom of this post.

I first rode the Richard Elliott Three Loops Ride back in 2014 and it was my first ever ride over 100 miles! Chris Cottom led our band of merry riders that sunny day; it was an eventful ride including a very early frosty start, unpaved roads, lots of cafe stops and returning home in the dark with very tired legs. That said, you would be hard pushed to find an easier 130-mile ride so don't be put off by the distance, come and have a go!

However it's not called the Richard Elliott Three Loops Ride for nothing! There are four rides over three distances so you can take your pick!

1 Loop = 100km, Sunday easy ride pace, two café stops TBA. Start Broken Cross 8.30 am. Leader John Jackson. https://ridewithgps.com/routes/12562513
1 Loop = 100km, Saturday club run pace, one café stop at Cotebrook Shire Horse Centre. Start Broken Cross 9.00 am. Leader Mick O’Connor. https://ridewithgps.com/routes/19166777
2 Loops = 160km, two café stops: Walk Mill, Waverton and Old Ma's Cafe, Gatesheath. Start Broken Cross 8.00 am. Leader: anyone like to volunteer? https://ridewithgps.com/routes/19166772
3 Loops = 200km, two café stops: Walk Mill, Waverton and Old Ma's Cafe, Gatesheath, optional third café stop TBA depending on fatigue. Start Broken Cross 8.00 am. Leader Darren Allgood. https://ridewithgps.com/routes/19183831
Richard Elliott

Richard joined his first cycling club aged 12 and rode many time trials, including 50s and 100s, as well as 12 and 24 hour races, winning the Wessex 24 hour in 1977. In the 1970s when Audaxes started in the UK, Richard read a write-up about a Windsor-Chester-Windsor Audax and announced to his wife Celia (who remains a life member of the Wheelers) 'that's my kind of riding'. He subsequently rode many different Audax distances including Paris-Brest-Paris in 84 hrs 20 mins in 1979, as well as several on tandems and tandem trikes with his eldest son Ben. The club presents the Richard Elliott Trophy each year to the rider with the most points for long distance rides (present holder the indefatigable John Jackson).

I look forward to a great day's cycling.

Darren Allgood
Yogispeed

Re: Richard Elliott Three Loops Ride Sunday March 19th

Postby Yogispeed » Tue Mar 14, 2017 6:39 pm

Remember to take it easy this Saturday because Sunday is The Richard Elliott Three Loops ride!! Hoping to see Cheshire lanes awash with orange
Yogispeed

Postby eddiegcycle » Fri Mar 17, 2017 9:08 am

The Cheshire lanes are definitely going to be Awash - have you seen the forecast? :(
eddiegcycle

Postby Yogispeed » Sat Mar 18, 2017 7:30 am

Forecast improving all the time. The further west we ride the better it gets!
Yogispeed

Postby Yogispeed » Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:50 pm

Well done everyone weather you rode 1,2 or 3 loops :cheers:

16 in total met at 08.00 at broken Cross. 2 Loops for Jill & Richard T 3 Loops for Myself, Fred, Paul A J, Andy J, Paul F, Paul H, Eddie, Steve, Mike, Ruth, Nigel, Gordon, Richard & Phil C

A great turnout & a great day had by all :salut:
Yogispeed

Postby Mike Roberts » Wed Mar 22, 2017 9:52 pm

Information stored to validate, as necessary, claims at the season end for the Richard Elliott Trophy.

Anyone able to let me have a list for Easy & Fast 1-Loop finishers?

Data also needed for the Circuit of the Edge 'Monument'...........
MBobs

AKA Mr Grub Street - whatever that implies!
Mike Roberts

Return to Events