Forum

Chris Grayling. What an absolute plonker!

Bicycle User Group Forum. Cycle safety, cycle campaigns, cycle routes etc.

Chris Grayling. What an absolute plonker!

Postby Mike Roberts » Tue Jan 17, 2017 12:00 pm

Chris Boardman hits back at Transport Secretary over cyclist road users comment:

Olympic cyclist Chris Boardman has accused Transport Secretary Chris Grayling of "an astonishing lack of knowledge" after he suggested that people on bikes were not "road users".
• Olympic cyclist Chris Boardman has accused Transport Secretary Chris Grayling of "an astonishing lack of knowledge" after he suggested that people on bikes were not "road users".
Mr Grayling's comment came in a House of Commons exchange after Cambridge MP Daniel Zeichner asked him to clarify an earlier comment that cycle lanes "cause problems for road users" and explain whether he thought that cyclists were themselves road users.
The Transport Secretary responded: "Where you have cycle lanes, cyclists use cycle lanes, and motorists and other road users are the users of the roads. That is fairly straightforward."
• Mr Boardman, who is policy adviser to British Cycling said he was "embarrassed" for Mr Grayling over his remark.
He offered to take the Transport Secretary on a bike ride to see for himself the conditions cyclists experienced on the roads.
"The Transport Secretary's comments demonstrate an astonishing lack of knowledge about how seven million people regularly use the roads in this country," said Mr Boardman. "I feel embarrassed for him. If he truly thinks the roads are not for cyclists then what am I paying my taxes for?
"Chris Grayling's Government has made a commitment to double cycling levels to help tackle congestion, obesity and air pollution - three issues that are at crisis point.
"The minister should also know that segregated cycle lanes of sufficient quality are incredibly rare in Britain.
"In fact, it's going to be impossible to meet Government targets on a diminishing budget of less than £1 per head. This is in stark contrast to the Netherlands and Denmark where more than £20 per head is spent."
"If there was ever anyone who needed to actually get on a bike and hear about the true state of cycling infrastructure, it is Chris Grayling and I'd be delighted to go on a ride with him."
The row comes weeks after video emerged of Mr Grayling accidentally knocking a cyclist off his bike as he opened a car door in Westminster.
MBobs

AKA Mr Grub Street - whatever that implies!
Mike Roberts

Return to BUG