New MTB member

MTB discussion

New MTB member

Postby SBrok » Tue Mar 31, 2009 4:41 pm

I have very recently joined Macc Wheelers with the hope of riding my mountain bike with other people. Before I turn up and join in I wanted to see how fit I have to be, the mileage you normally ride, terrain etc. An idea of a usual ride and ride time would help.

At present I only ride on average 20 - 25 miles in 2 - 2.5 hours, am I anywhere near?

Hope you can help.

Re: New MTB member

Postby jjackson » Tue Mar 31, 2009 6:46 pm

see for the Sat 31st Jan MTB ride to Chapel en Frith
Please note SVG is needed to view some interactive elements and can be downloaded here
It gives access to
* Interactive maps
* High resolution maps
* Quick downloads
* Zooming capabilities
Site Admin

Postby dharbott » Wed Apr 01, 2009 10:32 am

Hi SBrok,

You should give the Saturday club rides a try.
What often happens if a new rider is less fit than the main group is: the group keeps together for the first section of the ride, then they are given an 'opt out' option at a suitable point, i.e. a short-cut back.

This has worked well over recent seasons, allowing weaker riders to test themselves against the main group, get to know the riders, and get encouragement to improve fitness.

My only advice is be prepared to take the opt-out option, i.e. take a local map with you.
David Harbottle

Postby owen » Mon Apr 27, 2009 12:50 am

I would certanly suggest you try the Saturday off-road club rides. Although a good level of fitness would be advantageous noone gets left behind and there are regular 'regrouping' points along the ride. There are a mixture of abilities within the group.There isn't any specific prerequisites in terms of fitness or ability, some riders excel at downhill, others uphill and technical climbing so everyone is at different levels within the group. However , noone seems to have any issues putting the afterburners on and sprinting to the pub at the end of the ride!

The terrain is mixed with some singletrack, downhill although nothing too hardcore but still challenging, bridleways, rocky sections etc.

We meet at 1 pm and usually leave at 1.20 pm . There is a cafe stop half way around and rides end at around 6.30 depending on the time of year and weather.

Return to MTB