SMBLA MTB leadership qualifications

MTB discussion

SMBLA MTB leadership qualifications

Postby dharbott » Tue May 20, 2008 2:48 pm

Is anyone interested in gaining the SMBLA qualification in MTB leadership?

The SMBLA scheme has been developed by Scottish Cycling, in conjunction with the Scottish Advisory Panel in Outdoor Education and endorsed by the Adventure Activity Licensing Authority and Mountain Leader Training, and recognised by British Cycling. The scheme provides training and assessment in mountain biking and leadership skills.

It's something I might consider in the near future, and it would be more fun to do it with someone I know.
David Harbottle

Re: SMBLA MTB leadership qualifications

Postby andybow » Thu Oct 02, 2008 10:06 am

Dave, did you do the course in the end?

I've done the SMLBA qualification.

I can give you some contacts esp for the REC part of it.

The basic qualification path is to have a 16-hour first aid course (Rescue and Emergency Care) and the MTB training (navigation, mechanical support, basic skills such as trackstand, manual, powered wheel raise, small dropoff,...). SMLBA produces a manual with everything in.

Complete a log book of rides (I think it's 20 rides of 1.5hrs+), familiarize yourself with the manual, go on a 2 day course, wait for the consolidation period (30 days+) then go for your 1/2 day accreditation.

The REC part is a bit of a pain as you have to go on the 16 hour course every 3 years.

Return to MTB