Forum

Main Road Morris R.I.P.

News

Main Road Morris R.I.P.

Postby Mike Roberts » Tue Aug 19, 2014 3:23 pm

16/12/1932 to 17/08/2014

It is with deep sadness that I have learned today that Morris Humphreys passed away on Sunday.

Morris joined the Wheelers after coming to live in Sutton during the 1970s, commuting daily to his work in a drawing office in Wilmslow, and getting involved in time trialling and touring. He got wrapped up in cycling in the 1940s, in various aspects of the sport except, I believe, the track.

For a short time in the early 1980s he held the club's 24-hour record. He rode Audaxes. And for many years was one of our Wild Wales Challenge mainstays. Often he was awarded the club's weekend rides attendance trophy.

However Morris's cycling was curtailed about 10-years ago after suffering a minor stroke whilst on holiday in the U.S. with his family.

Morris's funeral service will be on Friday August 29th at 3.20 p.m. at Macclesfield Crematorium
MBobs

AKA Mr Grub Street - whatever that implies!
Mike Roberts

Re: Main Road Morris R.I.P.

Postby jjackson » Tue Aug 19, 2014 7:41 pm

Sad news. A great runs leader who knew nearly every road in Cheshire and Shropshire. Many happy memories of touring with Morris in the UK and overseas. Many of the routes we use on todays club runs were regular "Morris routes".
jjackson
Site Admin

Postby jjackson » Tue Aug 19, 2014 9:27 pm

Morris apprears several times in the article about the 1992 Wild Wales in iFoolsNook
http://www.macclesfieldwheelers.org.uk/ifoolsnook/ifoolsnook/iFools_Nook/Entries/2013/2/17_Wild_and_Wet.html
jjackson
Site Admin

Postby thetrotter » Wed Aug 20, 2014 9:19 am

Nice piece that. Sorry to hear about Morris.
Samuel Pecke : A bald headed buzzard content only in wenching, lying and drinking.
thetrotter

Postby petemcg » Wed Aug 20, 2014 2:15 pm

Sorry to hear about Morris.

He along with Big Bill Mottram were the first to welcome me to the club runs when I joined the club just over 20 years ago.
Look where that's got me!

I once told Morris I was having a holiday in Borth Y Guest and he told me that he had either been born or had lived in a cottage in Mersey Street, just around the corner from the cottage I rented......small world.

Morris often wore checked touring shorts when he rode his bike, I can't remember him in lycra but I'm sure as a racing cyclist he must have done. After he stopped riding he could still be seen walking everywhere in the same shorts.

He had a great trick for keeping club runs in order, if you got up the road and didn't wait at the junction, he'd go the opposite way to you, even if that's not what what he'd planned. :lol:

It seems that our club has had many characters over the years and we still have plenty following in their footsteps, we'll not forget Morris, he was one of them.

Cheers, Pete Chairio. :salut:
petemcg

Postby Mike Roberts » Thu Aug 21, 2014 2:12 pm

Morris's funeral service will be on Friday August 29th at 3.20 p.m. at Macclesfield Crematorium

Unfortunately, although as a Life Member I should have made the effort specially to attend the service, regretfully I have another more pressing engagement.

I learned this morning, a post mortem has taken place already, given that Morris was alone when he collapsed and died, and evidently the cause was a heart attack. It seems his father and a brother died of the same.
MBobs

Mike Roberts

Postby petemcg » Fri Aug 22, 2014 8:33 am

Where is the funeral Mike?

I'll be going.

Pete Chairio
petemcg

Postby Mike Roberts » Fri Aug 22, 2014 2:41 pm

It's at Macc Crem, Pete.

Thanks for pointing out such a fundamental omission!
MBobs

Mike Roberts

Postby petemcg » Sun Aug 24, 2014 11:18 pm

Thanks Mike :thumleft:
petemcg

Return to News