Forum

Cheshire Cobbled Classic

News

Cheshire Cobbled Classic

Postby Mickoc » Wed Jul 30, 2014 9:16 pm

Just seen on tinternet that BC have organised a sportive taking in the cobbled climbs of Cheshire on October 5th

Take a look http://club.v-sprint.com/cheshire-cobbled-classic/.They want £25 for the privilege of riding :lol: .

Someone forgot to tell them that they could ride Tour of the Edge for nowt. :-D

The one thing I have learned is that Sky train up Swiss Hill in preparation for the Tour of Flanders

I am willing to take a ride and only charge the bargain price of £20!!! Any takers?

Seriously though perhaps we could make a club ride taking most of the cobbled climbs.

Get posting if you are interested.

Mick OC (an old cobbler :wink: )
Mickoc

Re: Cheshire Cobbled Classic

Postby thetrotter » Wed Jul 30, 2014 10:42 pm

And I know realise why I fail to get up the Corkscrew in anything other than perfect conditions :shock: I thought it was steep but not that steep! Good route though and ideal for a club ride.

Seem to recall that one of the clubs in East Lancashire organises a similar, easy season, free event based on the cobbled climbs there
http://road.cc/content/news/54821-ronde ... th-england

Worth considering whether we could do something similar to promote the Club?
Samuel Pecke : A bald headed buzzard content only in wenching, lying and drinking.
thetrotter

Postby dharbott » Thu Jul 31, 2014 7:58 am

It sounds like a good challenge Mick - look for a slot in the calendar and organise it.
David Harbottle
dharbott

Postby JohnB » Thu Jul 31, 2014 7:05 pm

Sometimes it only seems like yesterday but 62 years ago I lived in Wilmslow and used Swiss Hill to train for the Club Hill Climb Championship and as I only weighed 8 stone soaking wet I had to sit down all the way to avoid wheel spin on the cobbles, it all paid off and I duly won in what was then course record.
More recently in 2001 I organised the TLI Hill Climb Championships for our Club as part of the Bollington Festival using Beeston Brow with a ramp start in a carpark and out of the back of the carpark onto the cobbled lane leading to the foot of the climb then turning left and upwards.
It just shows that there is really nothing new and that Macclesfield Wheelers have usually been there and done that before anyone else.
JohnB

Postby JohnB » Sat Aug 02, 2014 11:09 am

Should have read "turned RIGHT" and upwards, sorry !
JohnB

Return to News