Forum

Introductory/Slower training ride - Year 4

Training rides info + discussion

Re: Introductory/Slower training ride - Year 4

Postby Chris C » Fri Oct 23, 2015 3:18 pm

Three riders last night. Thank you to Steve L for turning out. Without him I may have struggled to stop Mrs C from turning home back to the sofa instead of spending an evening chasing her husband round the lanes in the dark, but, hey, that's married life for you. 17.8 mph and 17.4 mph.
Chris C

Postby Chris C » Sat Oct 31, 2015 9:07 pm

Crikey, I expect that Samuel Pepys was rather more assiduous than I in the diary entry department. For I have indeed been neglecting my duties as chronicler of this ride, so engaged have I been in this, the winter of my career, in dipping my toe in what the HR wonks like to call the 'job market'. How lucky I am that, last Thursday evening, I could stop the tedious churn of CV and application form and ignore the spectre of redundancy beckoning me ever closer to its doubtful charms, to join my dear companions, Annick, Jo and Warren and ride at 17.4 miles per hour along the familiar lanes of the introductory/slower training ride of the Macclesfield Wheelers Cycling Club and to summit, washed free of care, at 17.1.
Chris C

Postby Chris C » Fri Nov 06, 2015 1:14 pm

Jo, Moray and me last night. 16.7 and 16.3 mph. Mild and dry but a bit muddy.
Chris C

Postby Chris C » Fri Nov 13, 2015 1:32 pm

Given how wetty I was on my doleful commute home last night I wasn't really expecting anyone to turn up last night for this ride, given that three of its regulars had kindly given me advance notice of their intended absence. I was not disappointed; well I suppose I was a bit disappointed but, hey ho, such is the lot of the ride leader.

Having waited until the statutory barrier of 19:05, I made the most of my outing and invested a pre-planned 58 new English pennies on a tin of kidney beans at Mr Tesco's emporium, stuffed it adjacent to my own kidneys in my jersey and cycled home, wet again, with plenty of time to prepare Mrs C's tea following her anticipated return this evening after a nifty two-day cycling excursion to Ironbridge with Mrs and Mrs Growbag and others of a similar ilk. Sadly, I had to decline a kind invitation from Claudia Schiffer to 'pop over for a social' in favour of a couple more hours on my trophy monitor spreadsheet after which I could do no more than surrender to the charms of my bunkhouse.

I am, I feel, a man of many hats at the moment: commuter, ride leader, job seeker, chef, trophy monitor, rabbit tamer.
Chris C

Postby Mr.Malc » Fri Nov 13, 2015 9:35 pm

Have you tried frog juggling or cat herding yet?
Robert Foster

nec dolor nec dolor
Mr.Malc

Postby Chris C » Mon Nov 23, 2015 4:32 pm

Last week, I provided proof, if proof were needed, that flexibility lies at the core of my approach to ride leadership, if not, sadly, at the core of my bod, at least the last time (two meanings) that I tried to emulate one of Mrs C's Bendy Toy yoga exercises, much to my own chagrin and the amusement of anyone passing our unfortunately large front window (I knew I should have insisted that the landscapers site the boating lake at the front of the house).

Even as we descended the Holy Mountain, I received a motion from the floor, from a Mr Paul D, boldly suggesting that we forsake our customary triple toe loops and head off instead around the new Byley circuit, currently being beta tested by the Wednesday faster training ride. And so we did (we being the aforementioned Mr D, me and Paul F).

And what fun we had, several heavy showers notwithstanding. Wisely, for after all this is the introductory/slower training ride, we eschewed the dubious delights of Artists Lane, opting instead to ascend Mount Mottram along the ancient trading route of Oak Road. As we paused for a comfort break in the foothills of this bleak and poverty-striken area, I clocked that we had achieved an average speed of 18.1 mph through the wetness.

As I passed the BX car park on my way home at an overall average of 17.5 mph, my computer reported that it had done 30.8 miles, just 0.4 more than our usual distance.

Perhaps we'll do this again.
Chris C

Postby Chris C » Fri Nov 27, 2015 6:18 pm

Brilliant to have seven of us out last night: me, Jo, Paul D (on an eve of birthday ride), Paul F, Steve L, Richard T and Moray. At Steve's suggestion we opted for the Byley circuit again. At Moray's suggestion we avoided the hedgecuttings on the first part of Pexhill by taking Gawsworth Road and then Dark Lane. By the foothills of Mount Mottram our average speed was 18.0 mph. It was great fun.
Chris C

Postby Chris C » Fri Dec 04, 2015 9:18 am

:salut: :director: If it's raining, we're still training :director: :salut:

With this inspirational maxim from the Sage of the Wheelers, Mr Trotter, ringing in my ears, I approached the carpark last night a few minutes earlier than my customary 18.59 appearance (busy life), certain that no-one with a whether eye to the weather would turn up and I would be sofa-bound by 19:05. How wrong I was, for there waiting was Gareth T, as good as his word after Monday’s ride, supported by his long-time friend Andy W. As we left the carpark we were joined by Paul D, cutting it very fine as always. This is clearly a rider who clearly doesn’t like to waste a second in hanging around, but sometimes it works Paul and sometimes it doesn’t (witness the last two Mondays). This time Paul had left the house to return for his waterproof. Wise move Paul, wise move.

For it absolutely threw it down so much that even Noah might have been a little surprised. I can honestly say that this was the wettest training ride I can remember, with rain hitting the road so hard it was bouncing back up again. At times I wondered why my front light was flashing. It wasn’t – it was the effect of the huge raindrops obscuring the beam. As we headed towards through Lower Peover near Plumley Moor Road (for we had plumped for the popular Byley circuit), I hit a wall of water so deep that I and my companions were certain I was lost. Fortunately not. Indeed, after waves of water topped our overshoes time and time again, we became almost blasé about the conditions and, as I bid Andy and Paul farewell at the Birtles Road interchange (Gareth having wisely elected to head straight home into town after the ascent of the comparatively dry Oak Road), we all agreed how much we had enjoyed ourselves. Are we odd? Of course. Somehow we had even achieved an average speed of 17.5 mph to the base of Mount Mott.

Remember ‘You won’t be winning if you haven’t been swimming’.
Chris C

Postby Chris C » Fri Dec 11, 2015 4:13 pm

The Byley circuit is proving to be a popular addition to the Wheelers repertoire with seven riders last night: Pauls F&D, Moray, Gareth, Steve L, Richard T and me. We went through and off from the gun and were at an average speed of 19.0 mph by the top of Seven Sisters Lane, where seven brothers leaped off seven steeds after I called a compulsory comfort break. We were at 18.2 at the base of Mount Oaktree, not helped by my puncture in the Badlands of Mottram, where four of my companions dutifully stood guard against possible bandits while three of us laboured over my front valve malfunction.

But the question on all our lips of course was the one eating up the column inches in cycling forums everywhere. I refer not to disc brakes on road bikes, but to the debate that is splitting the nation: do you wash your bike post-ride or allow the crud to marinade for a day or so? For I remarked to Steve L after more than a few miles last night that his gleaming white frame looked almost untouched by the worst that the lanes could throw at it, only to be told that he would nevertheless be cleaning it in the dark on his return home that very night. For this is a man known professionally as Macclesfield’s Mr Clean and I would not be surprised if his pre-ride prep didn’t involve setting out his baby wipes and cotton buds ready for his return.

Clean bike Steve, clean bike.
Chris C

Postby Chris C » Fri Dec 18, 2015 2:19 pm

A ride of two halves last night. First half – absolutely brilliant, we were all working really well and I was thinking this is the best possible way to spend an evening. Annick, Jo & Simon (together at last), Richard, Gareth, Paul D, Moray, Steve, so nine of us in all.

At 18 miles we stopped for a comfort break at the top of Seven Swans a Swimming Lane, at which point we’d averaged 18.7 mph. Unfortunately one rider was unable to sustain this for the second half (it is the slower training ride after all) and the ride quickly went completely to pot and I gave up shouting to the leaders to slow down, told the one rider who had had the courtesy to remain with their off-the-back companion to re-join the others and limped, rather disconsolately, a long way home.

Oh well, there’s always next week. Actually there isn’t, as apparently it’s Christmas Eve. Next Thursday ride is an earlybird special mixed ability training ride at 10.30 am on New Year’s Eve. Hope to see you then.
Chris C

Postby Chris C » Wed Dec 30, 2015 5:51 pm

Don't forget that we're riding at 10.30 am tomorrow. We'll probably take the Byley circuit and see what it looks like in daylight.

New Year, New You? Never been on a training ride before? This is where to start. Meet at the public car park at Broken Cross, just south of Tesco.

I can't wait.
Chris C

Postby Chris C » Thu Dec 31, 2015 6:42 pm

Another brisk outing today (and in daylight), with ten riders, 11 if you count the young lady in BC kit who joined us for several miles (shame that the philosophy of marginal gains hasn’t yet reached the mudguard department, but, hey, I did invite her to join us). The Magnificent Ten were: Ant, Steve, Paul D, Jo, Andy, Annick, Nigel, Fred, me and a big welcome to Andrew Rowe, a graduate of Jester Jackson's Justa Cycling Academy. 18.7 mph to the top of Seven Sisters for Seven Cyclists Lane, 18.0 to the foothills of Mount Mott.

A little ragged at times, but generally a considerate and mutually supportive ride. We just all need eyes in the back of our helmets so we can see if any riders behind us are struggling with the pace. I am of course working on this in my den, and I don't want to hear any Doubting Thomases suggesting that my one term of biology in 1967 (coincidentally also known to old hippies like Mr Trotter as the Summer of Love) will prove inadequate for the task. Trust me on this one, will you? I'll get back to you, I promise. Like my old chum S J Perelman, I guess I'm just an old mad scientist at bottom. Give me an underground laboratory, half a dozen atom-smashers, and a beautiful girl in a diaphanous veil waiting to be turned into a chimpanzee, and I care not who writes the nation's laws.
Chris C

Postby Chris C » Fri Jan 08, 2016 9:23 am

I have been feeling inadequate in the maintenance department since 30 November when Nigel told me that he was simply unable to leave a dirty bike to fester overnight and felt compelled to clean it before retiring, regardless of the weather or whether he was suffering from post-ride palsy. Accordingly I spent yesterday in a fever of anticipation while the redoubtable Fred Spark updated some of the lighting that he had installed in our kitchen only 23 years ago (surely a bulb should last longer than that) before turning to my side passage where he installed a marvellous new device called a floodlight above my bicycle-washing station.

Excellent ride last night with five of us (Gareth, Paul F, Simon H, Andy S and me) leaving HQ PDQ in a queue as the Siberian front reached Broken Cross, with Steve M making it six as we started to descend the Holy Mountain. Andy (welcome to Thursday Andy) had announced that his comeback programme meant that he was good for two loops, but bravely agreed to brave the ‘all or nothing’ Byley circuit, which of course is just one loop. I think it’s fair to day that Andy was suffering a little by the time we climbed Oak Road, having gone through and off brilliantly for 18 miles until I called a comfort break at the sign of the Seven Sisters, by which time we had averaged 18.3 mph.

Very supportive and considerate ride by all concerned and a great treat for me to ride with this bunch of young Turks, the oldest of whom I could give 20 years to, thus making me far too old to postpone my recovery brace of bagels and apricot jam in favour of doing anything as unnecessary as cleaning my bike. But I did turn on the new the light and it looks great thanks to Fred (electrician to the discerning rider).
Chris C

Postby Mike Roberts » Wed Jan 13, 2016 7:51 pm

Beware the floods, Chris.
In my lifetime I don't ever recall seeing so many in our nearby lanes, compounded by considerable associated detritus including 'the fruits' of ongoing hedge cutting.
MBobs

AKA Mr Grub Street - whatever that implies!
Mike Roberts

Postby PaulH » Wed Jan 13, 2016 9:58 pm

Chris C wrote:Yes I plan to ride tomorrow night. If necessary we'll stick to the gritted route around Goostrey, part of which is even lit with streetlamps.

We used to have a chain gang route where 29 of the 30 miles were under street lights :shock:
PaulH

PreviousNext

Return to Training