Forum

Introductory/Slower training ride - Year 4

Training rides info + discussion

Introductory/Slower training ride - Year 4

Postby Chris C » Fri Jul 10, 2015 2:11 pm

Three years down, just 997 to go in the 1,000 years I have planned for this ride. What will bikes look like in 3012, I wonder? What will the record be then for a 10-mile time trial?

Good to welcome Shane Prendergast on his first training ride last night and Rob McW on his second, joining old lags Chris I, me and, this will get me into trouble at home I expect but as always I'm prepared to sacrifice domestic harmony in return for a cheap joke like this, Annick.

Took us a little while to get organised, but actually, that's what this ride is all about, learning how to do it properly, and soon we were as smooth as a baby's bottom, perhaps not quite the right image but, look, it's Friday afternoon and I'm running out of jokes. 17.5 mph back to the base of Mount Pex, 17.2 to the top.
Chris C

Re: Introductory/Slower training ride - Year 4

Postby Chris C » Fri Jul 17, 2015 3:14 pm

I could have counted the introductory/slower riders on the fingers of one mutilated hand if I’d had one handy at B Cross last night. Just four of us waiting amidst the overpowering aroma of testosterone emanating in waves from the Masters of the Universe as they performed their well-practiced warm-up (aka chatting). But that’s because Esther was taking so long getting her mitts on that at 19.05 she still had the car-park to traverse. So we were five.

Introductions over (me, Annick, Esther, Mark Eade, welcome back to the club Simon Holden) we were just clipping in when we were joined by Ben Pickup. And so we were six. Then before reaching the Red Beast we swept up some unfortunate lost rider (didn’t quite get his name – something like Jack Johnson, thought he was on his way to Paris, poor soul, I didn’t like to tell him he was going round in circles with us). And so we were seven, but not for long as we were joined for a circuit or so by one Pete Thompson of Manchester Wheelers, with whom I enjoyed a convivial inter-club chinwag. And so we were eight (that’s enough maths – Ed).

As usual, we rendezvoused on schedule with the MOTUs along Forty Boot Lane. One of my number (I said that's enough maths - Ed) was moved to remark that their set faces didn’t, sadly, indicate that they were enjoying themselves. Take a chill pill guys.

17.9 (mph, of course, I’m an imperialist, wasn’t it that upstart Bonaparte who was responsible for the curse of metric?) by the time we started our perilous ascent of P-Hill. 17.6 to its glorious summit, where we were greeted in traditional style by the passenger of a motorist for whom Esther and Ben had graciously waited to drive into the car park of that fine hostelry known, perhaps appropriately given the speed of my ascent last Monday, as the Pack Horse.
Chris C

Postby Chris C » Fri Jul 24, 2015 11:48 am

Really good, mutually supportive ride last night with Mark Eade, Mark Holland, Esther, Jonny Ingham (all new members this year) and big welcome to Stephen Hughes, aged 14, who took to it like a lexicographer to a dictionary, going through and off every time until fading a little on the return up Salters Lane, at which point we stuck him on the back where he stayed without difficulty until our return to base camp.

So six riders and at a good speed too – 18.1 mph back to Siddington crossroads and 17.6 by the top, ie until Salters Lane we made no concessions to youth (and even then, hardly at all). Indeed, foremost in my mind was the knowledge that, if Stephen comes out regularly, it won’t be long before I’m shouting at him to slow down and tow one particular nameless rider nearly half a century older up the hideous face of Mount Pex.

To whom do I refer? Answers on a postcard or online at namethatoldbuffer.com. 1st correct answer wins a pair of stabilisers (used).
Chris C

Postby Chris C » Fri Jul 31, 2015 2:25 pm

Another disciplined ride last night by most riders (no names, no pack drill, but anyone going through too fast last night will feel a pang of guilt on reading this, mark my words or I’m a Dutchman). Welcome back to the Wheelers, five years and two children later, to Jo Holden, joining Annick, Janet Shaw (that’s three ladies on this ride, I’m delighted to say), Jonny I, Chris I, me Chris, Warren and Marks Eade and Holland.

17.9 mph back to Siddington X, 17.3 to the top (some faster). Lovely evening. Apparently next Thursday is my wedding anniversary, so I may or may not be out.
Chris C

Postby Chris C » Fri Aug 07, 2015 6:24 pm

Another great ride last night. Just four of us, so I deployed the 'one minute on the front' formation, cunningly sheltering myself behind the broad shoulders of Alex T. Welcome back Alex, and thank you. Jo, back for week 2, and Mark E completed our coach and four, well coach and three really if I'm the coach, although I prefer to see myself more as a facilitator and enabler in these days of self-determinism for which future historians will no doubt cast as the Zeitgeist of early 21st century Western Society. But we'll have to leave that interesting what I believe is now called a thread for another time. 18.8 mph no less (and no more) back to Sidd X, 18.3 to the top, by which time we were three, having dispatched Alex to report back to his HC HQ.

I love all this - perhaps I'll ride this route forever.
Chris C

Postby Chris C » Sat Aug 15, 2015 8:54 am

Here I am, catching up with the e-paperwork as late as Saturday morning. A couple of the participants on Thursday's ride clearly lead equally busy lives, with Simon H only getting to the sign of the Broken Biscuit just as we were about to follow the Masters of the (Soggy) Universe and Mark E catching us up as we turned left off Forty League Boot Lane. Others joining me were Warren and welcome to new member this year Paul Heywood, so five in all.

18.5 mph back to Sidd X, 18.1 to the top. Really good ride. OK so it rained a bit. So what?
Chris C

Postby Chris C » Fri Aug 21, 2015 3:54 pm

Good, for a change, to have a higher turnout on this ride last night than the fast group. We set off with six riders (we returned with them as well, but picked up a couple more).

We were: Jo, me, Ben P, Warren ‘Mile Muncher’ Jackson, Mark E and welcome to Ben Rooke on his first group ride. We picked up Steve L in the gloom of the second half of lap three and averaged 18.4 mph back to Siddington crossroads, picking up Wheelers grandee Mark B as we ascended the holy mountain, summitting bang on target at an overall average of 18.0 (when I started this ride I set this as a maximum overall speed, something that we have proceeded to ignore on occasion but, hey, rules are there to be broken as my old mother used to say when she bit the Smarties off every fairy cake at every church tea in 1960s Weybridge, but that’s another story).

We got back to base camp at around 20.45 and we needed our lights. Bring yours next week please.
Chris C

Postby Chris C » Sat Aug 29, 2015 11:03 pm

Tripping the light fantastic

A Famous Five riders assembled in the car park last Thursday, after Steve L accepted a free upgrade to the Legendary Masters ride (all four of them): Steve J, Jo, me, Paul H and Annick. Jo even arrived twice, after nipping home to collect her lights. We had hardly done 100 yards down P-Hill when her rear light fell off, which meant that while we were waiting we were lucky enough to glimpse the legendary Pete McChair coming the other way and making light work of the final yards of a solo tour of his Wheelerland kingdom. We made it into Salters Lane without further incident, notwithstanding another attempt by a bonkers car driver to terrify us by deliberately driving on our side of the road at high speed as we approached the bottom of Pexhill.

Then the bracket of Paul's rear light broke off. Since there were traffic lights (bit of a theme here) in Forty League Boot Lane we continued, for light relief, straight on along long Long Lane instead, retracing the route apparently mapped out by early cycle trainers in this region. Before we junctioned (note this newly minted verb which I appear to have created - you get cutting-edge English in the Wheelers) with Congleton Road, Jo's rear light fell off again, so, while she and Pete searched the nettles for it, I took the opportunity to lighten my load by installing my second rear light on Paul's seat tube. With Jo's recalcitrant rear light severely admonished and now tightly secured with her hair grip (don't you mean lightly? - Ed), we continued at a very steady 17.5 average speed as dusk fell while I watched with dismay the light I had lent Paul gradually fade. It appeared that I had clearly failed in my recharge duties (and I fear that Mr McChair will bring this up at my annual ride-leader's appraisal).

Alighting at the summit a little lightheaded, pausing only for a little light self-congratulation for such a smooth ride at an overall average of 17.3 mph, but not dallying long enough to chill in my lightweight gilet, I swapped batteries with Paul, who lives much further away than me, and belted home light-footed before my rear one faded as the day had so quickly done.

Just so you know, the moral of this lighthearted story, Best Beloved, is: bring your lights, secure them securely and charge them well.
Chris C

Postby Chris C » Fri Sep 04, 2015 1:43 pm

Good smooth ride last night. 17.9 mph average speed from the carpark back to Siddington crossroads and 17.6 to the top. Six of us: Simon H, welcome back Paul F, welcome from even further back Andrew F, me, Pete J and welcome to Tim Potter on his first training ride, on which he conducted himself admirably. All lights present, correct and rear ones on constant, thank you. And it stopped raining even before we started. What more could a man ask for? Is this not cycling at its very best?
Chris C

Postby Chris C » Fri Sep 18, 2015 10:19 am

Six of us in the dusk and dark last night: Annick, me, welcome back after about three months Moray (and thank you for taking charge of the fun last week with Marks E and H, Jonny I and Nick L), welcome back after three years Esther Burt and welcome to this ride to my former colleague Glyn Griffiths and new member Kevin Tyldesley. 17.6 mph average back to Sidd X, 17.3 to the top, by which time it was pretty cold (ie glove weather not mitt weather).
Chris C

Postby Chris C » Fri Sep 25, 2015 4:33 pm

Four Hoarse Men of the Car Park assembled last night in the post-Tesco no-man’s land of the Broken Biscuit – me, Warren, Moray and Andrew F. We were joined on lap one by Brian E who’d missed the cut for the JAR (its loss was our gain). Andrew retired early, then Moray left us after lap two for a hot date at Pizza Express. The remaining trio (I think I can speak for all of us here, trust me on this one) were driven on to new ecstasies of speed and control, enthralled by the vision of a Scotsman hot-pedalling along Salters Lane, his tongue hanging out for his imminent Venetian with extra condiments.

18.6 and 18.3 mph. Fine and fast for just 5/4/3 of us but this ride needs more riders really.

Hail Warren, for you are mighty.
This titan drove to Hull on Saturday to achieve a PB 10 mile TT (who says we speak in code in this club?) 21.39 !!!! Awesome. And he then drove to Cardiff the next day to ride a 25!!!! Hail Warren, we salute you.
:salut:
Next you'll be challenging my old friend Anton Hunky (pictured) at the Atlas Stones.
:naka:

PS. I’m not quite sure what PB actually means. On Mrs C’s shopping list (we’re quaintly old-fashioned in our household, no yuppie online ordering for us matey, we do real shopping with our own string bags) it means Peanut Butter (crunchy), and don’t I dare to forget it or there’ll be hell to pay (which reminds me of that wonderful headline ‘Hell to pay if vicars strike’).
Chris C

Postby Chris C » Fri Oct 02, 2015 1:40 pm

Back in the dark days of February Cameron Mackinnon, aged 15, braved this ride for the first time. He faded on the return up Salters Lane, but vowed to keep going out by himself, get fitter and see us again. He’s been as good as his word, re-appearing last night about six inches taller and much, much stronger. Now a county cricketer, he was still on time despite two punctures on his way to Broken X. Welcome back Cameron. If cricket could help me improve as fast, I’ll be practicing my slip catches before you can say ‘silly old goat’. Supporting riders were Warren ‘The Animal’ Jackson, Annick, welcome back to week two Kevin T, and me, so five of us in all. 17.2 mph back to Sidd X, 16.9 to the top, by which time, I might tell you, it was blinking cold.

It was blinking cold (there, I said I might tell you).

I’m not out next week, but I hope you will be. Yes, I mean you.

Chris C.

Training rides? We’ve got ‘em.
Chris C

Postby Chris C » Fri Oct 16, 2015 2:12 pm

Regular readers of these journals will attest to the loyalty with which I turn out Monday and Thursday, week after week. Imagine, then, how hard it has been for me to miss three successive rides on account of, in order, an invitation from Mr McChairleg to attend him at the Wheelers High Table in that secret darkened upper room where the fabled McCommittee sits and deliberates weighty matters of state and cycling, a trip to Heathrow (I much prefer bikes to planes) and an enforced period of rest following an entirely unprovoked attack by the Killer Wasp of Allostock (unpleasant photo available on request).

So it was mucho eagerness that I assembled myself at B Cross House last night. I was even early. How sad it was to wait there alone, composing in my head an imminent death notice for this ride, until the statutory waiting time had expired and I could set out home again at 19.05. Just then, as if my magic, dear Simon H appeared hotfoot to save the day, er night. And thus we enjoyed a convivial ride together, at a brisk but conversational pace. How good it was to ride again. I just can’t give this up. But I have to recognise that this ride is no longer scratching where you’re itching, ie we're simply now not getting the numbers following the introduction of the Just a Ride. Please let me know if you’d like to move the training ride to Tuesday evening (note I am usually recovering from Monday evening).
Chris C

Postby Chris.Harris888 » Fri Oct 16, 2015 10:38 pm

Hi Chris,

As discussed over email I will be coming out and I can do either a Thursday or a Tuesday so no issues.
Chris.Harris888

Postby Chris C » Mon Oct 19, 2015 12:05 pm

Well I think I can say without fear of contraception, having ‘kicked the tyres’ on this one, that we’re not exactly overwhelmed by interest in moving this ride to Tuesdays. So we’ll stick to Thursdays. After all, we only need two riders and I reckon we’ve got a ride (as I and several other singletons have proved several times on both Mondays and Thursdays over the last eight years).

Correction. I held an on-ride summit with Mr JustinRide on Saturday, during which we ran some numbers through the latest data analytics app, downloaded free from backofafagpacket.com, and I am now happy to correct my earlier post. Let the record state that it is clear that the decline in popularity of the Thursday introductory/slower training ride (two riders last week) is in no way related to the rising popularity of the Just a Ride (18 riders last week).

Indeed, if numbers on the introductory/slower training ride decline to one (ie me) regularly, and I decide to knock it on the head, I will of course join the Just a Ride anyway. That’s because I am ADDICTED TO CYCLING.

Until that time, for clarity, the introductory/slower training ride will continue to depart from Platform 1 of Broken Cross Junction every Thursday. I’ve engaged Sir Topham Hat to wave his flag this week at 19.00.
Chris C

Next

Return to Training