Forum

Introductory/Slower training ride - Year 4

Training rides info + discussion

Re: Introductory/Slower training ride - Year 4

Postby thetrotter » Wed Jan 13, 2016 10:28 pm

PaulH wrote:
Chris C wrote:Yes I plan to ride tomorrow night. If necessary we'll stick to the gritted route around Goostrey, part of which is even lit with streetlamps.

We used to have a training ride route where 29 of the 30 miles were under street lights :shock:

Many of those lights on the old training route are turned off these days :(
Samuel Pecke : A bald headed buzzard content only in wenching, lying and drinking.
thetrotter

Postby Chris C » Thu Jan 14, 2016 9:21 am

The plan remains to ride entirely on gritted roads (Pexhill, Salters Lane to Lower Withington, straight on out to the Chelford Road, turn left down to Twemlow Green, right then right again through Goostrey, left onto the A50, first left after about 150 yards, er metres - I am a resolutely unreconstructed imperialist - into Twemlow Lane, then repeat Goostrey loop once or twice as required, then home along same route).

But watch the home page of the website just in case the forecast gets down to -1 in which case I’ll cancel it (you will see a message on the home page). For clarity, if the forecast remains at 0 or warmer, we're riding, or at least I am. See you later.
Chris C

Postby Mike Roberts » Thu Jan 14, 2016 11:24 am

Yesterday there was a large pond on left hand bend (occupying the whole west carriageway) just past Thornycroft. It was cleared last year but recent precipitation has made it as bad as ever.

The usual pools exist along Salters Lane to Lr Withington Green.

In Twemlow Lane, on Tuesday there was an extensive pond (right across the road) around the S bend which follows the Hermitage Lane crossroads...
MBobs

AKA Mr Grub Street - whatever that implies!
Mike Roberts

Postby Chris C » Thu Jan 14, 2016 6:20 pm

How good it is to have scouts around the lanes. Thank you Mike. The combination of standing water and zero degrees is too hazardous so, with regret, I've cancelled the ride. I particularly regret that I now have no excuse not to carry on decorating our house into the evening (our house this time, not the rabbit house, aka Harrington House). And I was so looking forward to washing the salt off my bike post-ride at my bespoke bike washing station, now gloriously lit by Master Electrician F Sparks.
Chris C

Postby Chris C » Fri Jan 22, 2016 9:11 am

Good to have nine of us out last night: welcome to Morgan Williamson on his first training ride, welcome to Andrew R on his first night-time training ride and welcome back to Stephen Hughes, aged 14, riding with great confidence following his commitment to turning out regularly on the Just a Ride. Supporting this trio were Steve L, Steve M, Simon and Jo on a date night, Nigel and me. We did the traditional three-loop circuit in case anyone faded, but no problems and all nine did all three. 17.4 mph back to Sidd X.
Chris C

Postby Chris C » Sat Jan 30, 2016 10:48 pm

Five of us on Thursday: Steve L, Steve M, Paul D, Paul F and me. As we neared the end of our pilgrimage, Steve L correctly remarked that we needed another Chris. I think he meant that this would give a pleasing finishing touch to the curious distribution of names (and, of course, this is a man professionally linked to the twin tub). But he may have been referring to the fact that the one that we’d got was worn out. And, alas, I got dropped on my own ride as we ascended Mount Mott, the base of which we had achieved at an average of about 18.0 mph. Too fast for me really; it may be time for me to call this a day now I’m a super-commuter (ask me about my first day’s ride to work if you want a laugh). See you next week then.
Chris C

Postby Chris C » Thu Feb 04, 2016 7:30 am

Chris C wrote: See you next week then.

Actually I won't as I've got a cold. In my absence I trust that all participants will remember that this is the introductory/slower training ride, and will ride accordingly, ie I don't want to hear that anyone got dropped please. Enjoy yourselves.
Chris C

Postby Chris C » Wed Feb 10, 2016 11:36 pm

I'm sorry but I'm going to have to stop leading this ride as a) I cannot usually get there in time after work now I've started a new job and b) on the days I can get there I'll be exhausted anyway after my new super-commute.

I really hope that someone else (or more than one person) can take over leading the ride. Basically it involves responding to email enquiries from newbies asking what's involved, showing them what to do and encouraging them and making them feel welcome, and oh yes telling them where to turn, watch out on this descent, etc. And shouting at people who go too fast, etc, etc.

Could it be you? Just ask me if you'd like any more details.

It's been a privilege to lead this ride and I've had a ball, but now for me it's time to stop. No lap of honour tomorrow, sorry - too tired.
Chris C

Postby Chris C » Tue Feb 16, 2016 7:40 am

Last call for this. Could it be you? Your committee decided last week, quite rightly, that we can't really have an introductory ride without a designated leader, so unless one or more people volunteer, I'm afraid we'll just have to cancel this one. No pressure then. If it does stop, I would urge all those eager to ride on a Thursday to join the popular Just a Ride excursion leaving platform 8 of the Park Green terminus at 6.30.
Chris C

Postby amf1966 » Tue Feb 16, 2016 11:56 am

Chris, it will be a real shame for this ride to end. Unfortunately I have been unable to join as often as I would like over the last couple of years, however your weekly updates of the rides give me both great entertainment and also serve as regular motivation to get back out there, and with my new kit collected last night I hope this wont be too far away. Where does the new super commute take you to? Andrew
amf1966

Postby Chris C » Thu Feb 18, 2016 7:32 am

'Fraid it looks like curtains for this ride Andrew, after all. But perhaps someone will resurrect it at another time.

New super-commute is 17 miles through the lanes to the edge of the known world at a bleak hinterland between Lach Dennis and Northwich, not as far as the commutes of Simon, Chris Q, Huw, the pre-retirement Dave Higham and no doubt many more Wheelers, but double my previous daily distance so quite enough for me, as the snoring from the sofa on many an evening will now attest. Perhaps not unreasonably, my new employers seem quite keen that I actually get to work on time so I tend to fly out and crawl back, it being a well known geological truth that all roads tilt slightly upwards after 5.00 pm.
Chris C

Postby mattyardley » Sat Feb 20, 2016 9:40 pm

Sorry to see this ride end Chris. It was my route into the club and your support was very much appreciated. Hopefully see you soon, despite my very irregular appearances at club rides.
mattyardley

Previous

Return to Training