Forum

just a ride

Training rides info + discussion

just a ride

Postby andyjak » Fri Jan 09, 2015 11:44 am

Last night saw the recommencement of the 'just a ride' sessions. On a cool blustery night,with only seasoned Wheelers present, (Dave-the comet-Haley, Nigel-never home- Bird,Brian-the trousers-Evans,and Myself) the four of us decided on a re-visit of the 'summer route'. Setting off at a brisk pace to get some warmth in our bodies,it wasn't long before we were suitably adjusted! Man and machine were tested on the twists and turns of debris strewn lanes....all praise to the nano technology of modern lighting. It wasn't long before we were making our way past the 'stone age' of the Kerridge quarries and onwards through the industrial revolution of Coalpit lane.....like a journey through the history of man on one of his most beautiful inventions. Eventually such enjoyment led us to communion at the Church(house) Sutton, where we worshipped Dionysius, or Bacchus depending on your persuasion. Afterwards the dash for home in the now wet night. Christmas pud be gone I tell thee! Evenings stats: some miles, some climbing, 8.5 pints covered, 2 bowls of chips destroyed. Just a ride.... Not for the faint hearted!
andyjak

Re: just a ride

Postby Mr.Malc » Sat Jan 10, 2015 12:45 pm

Hope that wasn’t 2 bowls each !
Just started reading “just ride” one of my xmas stocking fillers. In which Grant Petersen explains he doesn’t mean, just ride your bike to the exclusion of life, the pub, work, family, films , books, football etc. But stop worrying about carbon/steel , beany/hardshell, the fashion police and other such ponderables : just ride.
This made me wonder if andjjak and Grant were in fact the same person. Well it did until the book started talking about reflectorizing and advising that there is no part of your bike that isn’t reflectorable. Which was when I realised it was an American book. Good job this occurred to me before I attempted to overtake on the left.
Not sure why I started writing this, but as it is turning into a book review, buy it for your coffee table and use its content to start a heated debate on whether of not the author is a genius or just daft. Chose from sections like “finish your handlebar tape with twine, not electrical tape”, “desert dwellers don’t wear tank tops” and “ride bumps with skill not technology”.
Now, if you are venturing out today, please observe the social etiquette of group rides and ensure that your mudguard flaperisation is of a degree sufficient enough to minimise splatterage to your colleague’s faces.
Bon Voyage
Robert Foster

nec dolor nec dolor
Mr.Malc

Postby andyjak » Thu Jan 29, 2015 2:16 pm

Yes...you guessed it! No just a ride tonight......horrible white stuff! This week, I will most probably be reading a book.....whilst riding a turbo...perhaps! :roll:
andyjak

Postby graham » Thu Jun 04, 2015 10:15 pm

First time out this year for Ella and me,, Ella decided to go in the hills with the fast group and managed to hang on until Wildboarclough. Still cleared her mind and refreshed the body ready for more GCSE,s tomorrow
graham
graham

Return to Training