Forum

It's just a ride

Training rides info + discussion

It's just a ride

Postby andyjak » Fri Nov 14, 2014 9:31 pm

Picture the scene, a cool, blowy, dark autumn night. 18.25, a bench facing a poppy wreath bedecked cenotaph. There was I, last night, alone, thinking "I reckon tonights the night that no-one shows up, I may have to trundle over to the cross car park...a broken man". But not so! Within 5 of our earth minutes 8 more had gathered, 3 of whom were alien to me. Wonders never cease! The joy of cycling is not home to just mamils, meet Ed, a man who arrived in jeans and a tee shirt... I kid you not.. A.N.Other on mountain bike ( sadly retired by fools nook, pls try again?) Steve, who rode well despite a bad chest. It turned out they were all friends of Ray(ellow), a several times attendee. Rayellow is an amazing guy with an amazing self-built bike....all TDF yellow. Hubs,rims, cranks, bar stem etc. I found out last night that he also built his own wheels, not having done it before. Chapeau Ray! When asked about his bike,he says 'I needed one, so I built one'. Anyway,Ed got round the 25 or so miles, kept up and even had a slow puncture! The point to my (by now!) essay is, Sometimes as cyclists we can get a bit up ourselves about ' gear ' bikes etc., but as far as I'm concerned as long as you want to ride and enjoy doing it,we should support anyone who does. Long live just riding!
andyjak

Re: It's just a ride

Postby g3cwi » Sat Nov 15, 2014 3:37 pm

Great report Andy - thanks! Sorry I have not made the last couple of runs - work I'm afraid.

Cheers and thanks for organising it.

Richard
+++++++++++++++
Richard Newstead
g3cwi

Postby graham » Sat Nov 15, 2014 4:32 pm

I have always said it is not about the bike
Ella has returned to running through the winter nights but will be back in the spring with her brother :cheers:
graham
graham

Postby graham » Sun Nov 16, 2014 6:36 pm

Don't send a search party. I got home. Stopped for a wee break as the Sunday training ride waited to regroup, by the time I started to chase they were out of sight . I chased for 5 mins before realizing you must of turned off somewhere. I came back via Acton bridge and the Cheshire cycle way, didn't see any wheel tracks so I must have been in front by then. 70 miles for me today.
graham
graham

Return to Training