Forum

Introductory/Slower training ride - Year 3 (and counting)

Training rides info + discussion

Re: Introductory/Slower training ride - Year 3 (and counting

Postby thetrotter » Fri Nov 21, 2014 9:09 pm

You and Moray aka the Kenisis Kids?
Samuel Pecke : A bald headed buzzard content only in wenching, lying and drinking.
thetrotter

Postby Chris C » Sat Nov 22, 2014 11:40 am

Good try but I'm looking for a better match than that. Moray's is black, mine blue and he doesn't really count as he 'left early' as Mrs T said to Sir John Nott. You'll just have to ride the ride to find out.
Chris C

Postby Chris C » Fri Nov 28, 2014 3:25 pm

Rider in Red
Eight Men Morris last night - me, Annick, Nick, Chris I, Phil, Mike C, Moray and, welcome back to your roots Rich D. Very smooth steady ride - a credit to all riders. 17.0 and 16.7 mph. Brilliant. And what was the probability that the four riders in red all rode one after the other? Spooky.

Wildlfe corner
One owl spotted (brown).
Chris C

Postby Chris C » Thu Dec 04, 2014 3:58 pm

If you’re wondering whether we’ll be riding tonight, the answers is most likely yes. If, any week, it’s icy on Monday or Thursday, I’ll cancel the ride and you’ll see this in red on the home page, but perhaps not until I get home which may be as late as 6.10.

Here’s some information from Cheshire East Highways.

Using five day local weather forecasts, decisions whether to salt or not are based on road temperatures rather than air temperatures. Salting is likely to take place whenever road temperatures are forecast to fall below 1°C and ice is expected to form.

Salting is normally carried out after the evening traffic peak hour or before the morning traffic peak hour.

Survivors of previous winter Monday and Thursday training rides may recall that we have several times jettisoned our normal route in favour of following gritted roads, ie our normal route to Lower Withington but don’t go left to the Red Lion but continue out to A535, turn left, right at Twemlow Green, immediately right through Goostrey and out to A50, turn left and then first left onto Twemlow Lane and optional repeat of Goostrey loop before returning to base, a route first charted and popularised, I believe, in the early 1800s (ie just after six o’clock) by the original gritstone himself, the legendary Gritter Macnee.
Chris C

Postby Chris C » Fri Dec 05, 2014 3:25 pm

As it happened, it wasn't actually that cold last night as I assembled my merry bunch of ne'er do wells at Base Camp Broken Biscuit for an hour's pre-ride Pilates, but, as the evening wore on, Gritter Macnee, keeping a weather eye on his dashboard, advised that he was tracking us at just over 1°. Eight riders: Dave Mudguards, Paul D, Paul F, me, Gritter McGarmin, Nick, Warren and a warm welcome to new member Ray W, who rode in from Bosley (and, I hope, back again). 17.7 mph back to Siddington Crossroads, 16.8 to the top.
Chris C

Postby Chris C » Fri Dec 12, 2014 4:55 pm

They breed 'em tough in the Macclesfield Wheelers. The wind, the rain and the cold didn’t stop last night’s Gang of Four on the Goostrey circuit of the Introductory/Slower training ride: Moray, Paul D, Chris I and me, your reporter, Chris C. 32.9 miles at 17.5 mph back to Sidd X and 17.2 to the top. Brilliant.

Yes, of course we’re riding next Thursday 18 December but, heck, take Christmas Day off. Yes I’m getting soft.
Chris C

Postby Chris C » Fri Dec 19, 2014 5:54 pm

Four calling birds last night - Moray, me, Phil and Nick, plus one owl. 17.3 and 16.7 mph, no rain and so hot we had to stop so two of us could take our skull caps off. And what is the probability that three of the four wore red jackets and had a birthday within a four-day post-Christmas window? Spooky!

Next Thursday ride - New Year Special 1 January at 2.00pm.
Chris C

Postby Chris C » Sun Jan 04, 2015 10:42 am

Four riders assembled at 13.59 under the sign of the Broken Biscuit (believed to be a digestive) on Thursday for the inaugural Introductory/Slower training ride of the New Year. Paul F, Fred, Moray and me. Very, very windy, hence 17.4 mph back to Sidd Central and 17.2 to the top.

More riders welcome. We ride at the pace of the slowest rider. It took me two years of Wheelers' membership before I decided to brave an evening training ride and, when I did, I found that, hey presto, I could actually keep up after all. Could 2015 be the year that you join us?
Chris C

Postby Chris C » Fri Jan 09, 2015 3:01 pm

I think I can say without fear of contraception that history has been made on this ride as last night saw a 50/50 split of women and men, although, like many historians, actually checking the records on the computer is a lot less appealing than simply relying on my computer-like memory. But no, I'm sure I'm right and a damm good thing it is too. I look forward to being outnumbered next week. Those who made history were: Annick, me, Paul F, Laura, welcome back Sarah and welcome back Jim. Quite windy, very smooth ride 16.5 and 16.4 mph.
Chris C

Postby SarahL » Thu Jan 15, 2015 7:47 pm

Sorry that I can't join you this evening to swing things in favour of the females: I shall be back next week though (and more regularly after that).

Hope it's not crazy blustery!
SarahL

Postby Chris C » Fri Jan 16, 2015 2:11 pm

It was blustery, we were crazy.

Students of form amongst the fine squad of riders that is the Macclesfield Wheelers could expect a training ride on which I am joined by a cadre of the calibre of Paul D, Nick, Richard T, Andy J and Mike C (the last two forgoing their planned Just a Ride specially to join us) to achieve an overall average speed at this time of year of, say, at least 18 mph. The stats tell a different story. It is a story in which the wind, that unforgiving training partner, played the leading role. We got down to Sidd X at 16.8 mph (compare about 20.0 last Monday); by the time we had pushed all the way round back to the Red Lion our overall average was 16.7, which, thanks to the wind blowing us back up Salter’s Lane, we got up to 16.9 by Sidd X again, falling to 16.6 by the summit.

Thanks to all riders for turning out. Did I mention the wind?
Chris C

Postby Chris C » Thu Jan 22, 2015 11:45 am

Calling all stir crazy kids. Fed up with being shut in? Turbo not scratching where you're itching? Join us tonight. Usual Bat-time; usual Bat-channel. We'll stay on the gritted roads and do two or three circuits of the world-famous Goostrey loop, depending on how we feel. Watch the home page in case we have to cancel the ride after all if the temperature forecast changes downwards significantly.
Chris C

Postby Chris C » Fri Jan 23, 2015 7:18 pm

As I approached the sign of the Broken Biscuit last night, I cast my thoughts back through the years to the several similar occasions when the air was also as crisp as a freshly opened packet of Monster Munch and I had enjoyed a convivial ride à deux with the single other rider that turned out. Indeed, Colin, Dave Halsey, Richard T and Brian E will all attest to the fact that I am not one to shirk my responsibilities as the present custodian of the Macclesfield Wheelers Intermediate training ride just because the mercury’s hovering around zero. No Sir!

But, I wondered last night as I took the final bend of Gawsworth Road, would this, being Thursday, be the night that no one would turn up? Were the riders of the Introductory/Slower training ride made of lesser stuff than their Monday colleagues? No Sir! I need not have worried, for no less than half a dozen good men and true joined me on what, in anybody’s book, was a cold evening. Let me do the maths for you, that’s seven riders.

We didn’t turn left at that nest of revolution, the Red Lion, but continued on to the A535 where we turned left down to the Yellow Broomcupboard before turning right, then right again and three times round the Goostrey circuit, and returning the same way. The roads were fine, no ice at all; let’s credit the Council where credit is due, they’re doing a great job with the gritting. We were at 17.5 mph by Sidd X, 17.1 to the top by which time it was -2 degrees. 33 miles in all. The heroes joining me were: Pauls D & F, Nigel, Nick, Moray and Andy. What a team! Yes Sir!

PS Dr Bones insists that I miss next week’s ride. Go carefully my children, I shall be with you in spirit. No, I shall not be on my turbo, I shall be reading my book.
Chris C

Postby Chris C » Thu Jan 29, 2015 2:51 pm

My employer may be disappointed to know that, in my capacity as ride leader (surely my real job), I have spent much of the morning looking out of the window, pondering the possibility of the ride tonight. Actually, at this point I don't feel I want to cancel the ride, but then I'm not coming anyway (for medical not meteorological reasons). I reckon if you want to go out, go out, take care of course and stick to the gritted roads, ie don't turn left at the Red Lion but continue on to the A535 Chelford to Holmes Chapel road, turn left, then right after the Yellow Broom and immediately right again through Goostrey and left onto the A50, turning left after about 150 yards into Twemlow Lane (repeat Goostrey loop as required).
Chris C

Postby thetrotter » Thu Jan 29, 2015 6:11 pm

Remember that snow falling on already gritted roads can still settle as today's chaotic conditions in Macclesfield demonstrated all too clearly. Be safe out there and remember that ice and snow melt faster than bones heal.
Samuel Pecke : A bald headed buzzard content only in wenching, lying and drinking.
thetrotter

PreviousNext

Return to Training