Forum

Introductory/Slower training ride - Year 3 (and counting)

Training rides info + discussion

Re: Introductory/Slower training ride - Year 3 (and counting

Postby Chris C » Fri May 01, 2015 2:35 pm

Good, steady, considerate ride last night, thanks to Steve M, Steve L, Mark E, Andy W, Gareth T, Moray, Annick, Dave Boardwalk and Dave Haley. Ten of us in all. 18.5 mph back to Sidd X, 18.0 to the top, to which we rode as a man (Annick having taken the Dark Lane option). Great to have four people who are all new to this ride this year. Don’t miss next week’s Election Special ride.
Chris C

Postby Chris C » Fri May 08, 2015 3:50 pm

Seven fully elected riders last night, after ceding several graduates to the Masters of the Universe ride (same time, same car-park, totally different experience - not that I’m qualified to comment, never having done it). Joining me were: Annick, Gareth L, Rob S, Chris I, Andrew F and Steve M. 18.2 mph back to Sidd X and, having said goodbye to an ailing Annick after lap one and a returning Andrew after lap 2, 18.2 to the top. Quite fast enough for me thank you matey.
Chris C

Postby Chris C » Fri May 15, 2015 1:11 pm

Last night’s Magnificent Seven included two newbies – welcome to Esther Clinton and Mark Holland; two returners – welcome back to Johnnie Ingham and a much leaner version of the Paul Roman that we haven’t seen on Thursday since this ride’s inaugural event nearly three years ago; two old lags – Moray and I, the former managing to fit in a quick recovery two laps on his way to Pizza Express to celebrate surviving the rigours of the Fred Whitton Challenge on Sunday; and rising club TT supremo Paul F, fresh from a Wednesday 10-mile PB (I’ve always wondered why cyclists seem to quote their peanut butter consumption so often). Crikey, these last two put me to shame: I’m clearly not doing enough, so I hereby publicly pledge to ride the long way home tonight, all the way to the roundabout at the end of my road AND BACK (must be all of an extra 40 yards).

18.1 mph back to Sidd X last night. 17.3 to the top. Well done to all riders. We even glimpsed a gaggle of Just a Riders at the Bearhurst Lane interchange on the way out and a pandemonium of Masters of the Universe with Rob M leading them back along Forty League Boot Lane amidst an overpowering cloud of testosterone.
Chris C

Postby Chris C » Mon May 25, 2015 8:03 am

Here I am, Chris C, convenor and chronicler of the introductory/slower training ride, catching up with the e-paperwork so late that I should sack myself. Last Thursday's ride comprised the following six lovelies: Annick, Chris I, I Chris, Rob S, Warren and Moray. 18.3 mph and 18.1.
Chris C

Postby Chris C » Fri May 29, 2015 11:49 am

No sabbatical on this ride for me last night, 6.20 downpour or not. Just three of us: welcome back to week two to new member Esther, fresh from her first ever TT on Wednesday and welcome to new member Alan Wade on his first time riding in a group (although I have to say that three people is on the small side as groups go). 15.2 mph back to Siddington X, 14.6 to the top.

And it didn't rain. You know you should have come, don't you?
Chris C

Postby esther scraggy » Fri May 29, 2015 12:09 pm

Was a nice gentle leg spinner to loosen up. Thanks Chris

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
esther scraggy

Postby cjilli » Thu Jun 04, 2015 10:26 pm

A small number tonight without Chris C to watch over us but I'm pleased to say it ran like clockwork. 3 riders (Mark E, Steve M and Chris I) set off from the carpark to take it for a minute or so on the front. It was smoother than my youngest's bottom throughout.

Lap 3 saw the late arrival of Steve L, remarkably fresh after a ride out towards Buxton, for the climb up Pexhill. We stayed together well and recorded 19.9 to the crossroads dropping to 19.3 by the top of the hill. Good work chaps!
Chris Illingworth - bloke with a bike
cjilli

Postby Chris C » Fri Jun 12, 2015 12:51 pm

Six starters last night - me, Steve M, Rob S, Annick, welcome to Matt Yardley and welcome back to John Archer. Headwind on return up Pexhill. 18.6 mph to Sidd X, 18.2 to the top. The Masters of the Universe blazed past us on their way home at our customary rendezvous along the Forty Acre Lane back straight, gone, as usual, in the flash of an eye.
Chris C

Postby Chris C » Fri Jun 19, 2015 2:22 pm

I was delighted to introduce two new riders to the joys of the training ride last night: Rob McWhinnie and new member Finlay Melliar-Smith, aged 12, the latter valiantly continuing to go through like a good'un until fading on the closing reaches of Salters Lane. Well done Finlay. Not so sure about the shifty looking older character accompanying him (answered to 'Huw', but he may have thought I said 'Who' - I shall spend the weekend interrogating the formidable Wheelers database to verify his credentials).

Other supporting riders were: Steve M, me, Esther, Sam F back from baby duty, Chris I and a limited edition guest appearance on lap 3 only by TT Fenton, spat out from the Masters of the Unicorn ride after the masters left their unicorns behind at a junction. So I'm claiming nine riders, and that's final.

Slower than ususal but, hey, this is an introductory ride. 16.0 mph back to Sidd X, 15.5 to the top.

Feel like joining us next week? Go on, you can do it. Usual bat time, usual bat channel.
Chris C

Postby Chris C » Fri Jun 26, 2015 12:36 pm

The Bermuda Triangle

We ceded Steve M to the Masters of the Universe ride last night, leaving six starters leaving Broken Biscuit on the heels of our heroes (Ed: don't you mean wheels?): Esther, Rob S, Chris I, I Chris, Huw and welcome back to week two Finlay, who I directed, along with his minder, down the first short cut (ie go straight on along the 'traditional' route just where we now hanger right into Forty League Boots Lane).

I shall today beseech the grandees of Cheshire East Council to rename this the Bermuda Triangle, for, far from catching this pair after Daffodil Hill as planned, we caught not a glimpse of them for the rest of the evening.

STRANGE, ISN'T IT?

TOO STRANGE...

The reduced Gang of Four continued through and off seamlessly until the return leg of P'Hill, achieving an overall average speed of 18.9 mph back to Platform 12 of Siddington Grand Central and 18.4 to the summit.
Chris C

Postby alecstilleyedye » Fri Jun 26, 2015 7:33 pm

possibly to do with finlay announcing tiredness due to a day of school sports day so we did lap one and dribbled back up pexhill…
alecstilleyedye

Postby esther scraggy » Fri Jun 26, 2015 9:43 pm

Glad all was ok :). Enjoyed the ride, heavy legs today.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
esther scraggy

Postby Chris C » Sat Jun 27, 2015 7:11 am

possibly to do with finlay announcing tiredness due to a day of school sports day

and of course nothing to do with the legs of his father being tired after cycling to work in Manchester and back....

Phew - I've told the search party, led by my Inuit friend Wefindemukeepem, to stand down.
Chris C

Postby Chris C » Fri Jul 03, 2015 8:28 am

Just four riders last night, but at least that was one more than the Masters of the Universe ride which mustered just three, well one master really, SuperWill with two attendants, Rob n Colin. Master-in-training with us was young Finlay, aged 12, attended by legendary masters Huw and Chris I, with past (it) master me. 14.2 and 13.7 (speeds not ages).
Chris C

Postby robert maxwell » Sat Jul 04, 2015 8:10 am

The faster training ride was just four , me , colin , will ,Steve hulme , average 23 mph one very hard ride.
robert maxwell

PreviousNext

Return to Training