Forum

Introductory/Slower training ride - Year 3 (and counting)

Training rides info + discussion

Introductory/Slower training ride - Year 3 (and counting)

Postby Chris C » Fri Jul 11, 2014 4:34 pm

A horrible start last night: we interrupted our ride to help James Russell who had fallen badly descending the Cote de Pex. He’s pretty sore, has lost lots of skin but nothing’s broken and he had time for a full bionic rebuild with more than five hours in A&E.

Notwithstanding this double start, we then managed a pretty good ride, averaging 19.0 mph back to Sidd X and me 18.2 to the top (most others faster). We were: Andrew F, Paul Cartwright, Steve Lomas, Dave Members, new boys Ben Hurst, Dan Henson and Tim Priestley, now old lag Chris I (a very consistent participant since starting on this ride nearly a year ago), me Chris C and welcome to new member Dave Saunders on his first group ride, taking to it like a duck to algebra (no he was really good actually). So nine of us in all and the best bit is that every man Jack of them had never done a training ride until we introduced this ride exactly two years ago.
Chris C

Re: Introductory/Slower training ride - Year 3 (and counting

Postby thetrotter » Fri Jul 11, 2014 5:58 pm

Sorry to hear about James. Hope he's OK and that they used titanium and carbon fibre in the bionic rebuild. Don't want to carry unnecessary weight.
Samuel Pecke : A bald headed buzzard content only in wenching, lying and drinking.
thetrotter

Postby jamesrussell » Fri Jul 11, 2014 8:56 pm

We're OK thank you. Loads of skin missing and rather sore - sun tan ruined! I wasn't the only one to go down. Alex went over the top of me but survived unscathed. Someone else came to grief but don't know who that was. Hope they're OK. Any damaged bikes let me know and we'll see how well 3rd party insurance works.
jamesrussell

Postby Chris C » Sat Jul 19, 2014 8:25 am

Excellent, highly disciplined ride on Thursday, a credit to all riders, despite the limited experience of training rides of many of them. 19.0 mph back to Sidd X, 18.6 to the top.

We were: Chris I, I Chris, Tim P (well done Tim for staying in the bunch to the top for the first time, only your third outing - raise your saddle as we discussed and you'll be flying), Sarah, welcome back to Karen Bale, welcome back to week two to Dave Saunders, Andrew F, Steve L and welcome to Thursday Mike Joyce, whose iron self discipline in cycling past his own front door not just once but twice in one ride is an inspiration to us all.

So nine of us (actually ten starters with Warren, who paused for a mechanical early in Salters Lane, after which we didn't see him again - probably going so fast after he switched on the motor - must x-ray his seat tube).
Chris C

Postby Chris C » Sat Jul 26, 2014 8:45 am

Good ride on Thurs, pretty fast really, considering that two years ago I designated 18.0 mph as this ride's maximum average speed to the top and I clocked 19.1 to there, having blasted round back to Sidd X at 19.5, although we also broke one of my other rules 'no one gets dropped' which I've realised anyway is on Pexhill (not before) sometimes an act of mercy.

Me, Annick, Dave Wardrobe-Members, Mike Bubblitex, Jonathan McEvoy, Chris I (thank you Chris again for staying with the dropped and coaxing them up the Col de Pesky), Tim Priestley and welcome to Thursdays to Alex Nicholls and Jack Drogan.

Brilliant weather for riding a bike, very sorry to hear that one of this ride's 2014 graduates, young Will, is unlikely to be riding his for a while, so very best wishes for an early recovery.
Chris C

Postby WillKershaw » Tue Jul 29, 2014 12:47 pm

Thanks guys, I'm okay but in the words of Bradley Wiggins 'they've got me on some great drugs'. Unfortunately my collarbone is in three pieces but it isn't displaced at the moment so i have escaped an operation for now. My knee is pretty badly skinned and having looked very closely at my X-ray the doctor thinks i could have also cracked my elbow. But i suppose these are the things we risk for the sport, on the bright side if i'm given the all clear (as in the bone isn't displaced so i don't have to be operated on) later this week i can get peddling on the turbo again.
I just wanted to thank all the guys for calling the some what disorientated ambulance and sticking with me for so long, it's in those moments that you realize you're lucky to be with such a great bunch of guys :salut:
Cheers,
Will
WillKershaw

Postby thetrotter » Tue Jul 29, 2014 2:28 pm

Glad to hear you're OK. Remember "Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory lasts forever" 8)
Samuel Pecke : A bald headed buzzard content only in wenching, lying and drinking.
thetrotter

Postby Chris C » Tue Jul 29, 2014 5:07 pm

"Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory lasts forever"

There speaks a man that knows.
Chris C

Postby WillKershaw » Tue Jul 29, 2014 6:38 pm

Indeed.
WillKershaw

Postby thetrotter » Wed Jul 30, 2014 10:00 am

Chris C wrote:
"Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory lasts forever"

There speaks a man that knows.

Depends on whether you count two cracked vertebrae, one broken cheekbone, multiple rib fractures, three concussions, four lost teeth, severe facial lacerations (including stitches in my lip - ouch), one broken nose, one missing thumbnail (which really, really hurt) as well as multiple cases of road rash.... :(
thetrotter

Postby Chris C » Thu Jul 31, 2014 10:42 pm

One dozen riders tonight. Welcome to Paul Fenton and Mike Calamanan, both on their first training rides, and to Richard Newstead on his first group ride (presumably there were no other takers when he rode across Australia - I am not making this up), welcome to Thursday to new member Pete Jackson, joining newish member Mike Joyce, hot off the press very new member Alex Nichols (paperwork handed over in the carpark), new to this ride this summer Ben Hurst, and old lags Steve Lomas, Chris I, me and yes I know this could get me into trouble but she's not a great reader of the Forum so I might get away with it, Annick, as well as - BIG FANFARE - some mysterious newcomer who looked very like that old guy we often used to see. Murray? Morray? Something like that.

17.8 mph back to Sidd X, 17.5 to the top, to which we rode as a man (I can say that in perfect truth - see below), each of us still following the same rider as we had all the way round (except that Annick took the Dark Lane option and Chris I joined us on lap 2 having 'worked late at the office dear' - solicitors' code for went for a drink after work).

Talking of solicitors, here's an unsolicited anonymous testimonial from A. Rider:
"This is certainly the most fun you can have with your clothes on. I urge you to join us."
Chris C

Postby Chris C » Fri Aug 08, 2014 3:23 pm

Training Tip
Number 238 in an occasional series

If, when riding along, say, Swettenham Road, a car passes you too fast and splatters horse dung off the road onto you and your fellow riders, you may be disconcerted at riding with a large blob of poo on your shin. If unclipping and vigorously shaking your leg fails to dislodge the offending item, you may be tempted to invert your water bottle and try to jet wash it with a blast of precious orange squash. Extensive research conducted last night along the hothouse test-bed of the Thursday Night introductory/slower training ride reveals that, while this may move the blob from your shin, it also soaks your sock with a deadly cocktail of orange squash and horse dung, where it will marinade nicely for the rest of the ride. My natural sensitivity to those of a nervous disposition prevents me from adding any details about those other riders who suffered worse indignities, but shall I just say that I hope no-one was planning to kiss Ben on the lips last night?

Last night’s test-bed engineers, road-testing the very latest developments in cycling technology in testing conditions, were: brand new members Ben Hurst and Mike Calamanan, pretty new members Dan Henson, Tim Priestley and Rob Skinner (perhaps ‘quite new’ might be a better way of putting this - Ed) and not so new ones Andrew Ford, Steve Lomas, Warren (there’s only one Warren) and me, every man Jack of the others, other than the aforementioned Warren ‘Anchorman’ Jackson, new to training rides since this ride began back in the mists of 2012. Little wonder that I think of them as my children. 18.4 all the way round, 18.2 to the top. Needed a shower.
Chris C

Postby Chris C » Fri Aug 15, 2014 5:02 pm

Last night’s First Eight (well, last night’s last eight as well, I suppose) comprised Mrs C and I, Chris I (fresh from his first century, in Wales on Monday), Mike C, Steve L, Paul Fenton, Andrew F and Pete no relation Jackson. I cautioned this bunch of rookie riders from considering chasing the Mighty Quinn, who we spotted breaking cover from the fast group at the junction of Forty League Lane and Conga Eel Road (in your dreams, lads). He was bolting for Biddulph so fast that he may even have made it before Typhoon Bertha’s little sister saturated us on our final climb, which was, you’ve guessed it, Pexhill (for a change). Hopefully the monsoon made Mike feel at home (would probably only rank as a shower in the Philippines). 18.2 mph to Sidd X and 17.9 mph to the top of the waterfall.

I surprised myself by feeling fresher than the performance predicted by my computer-enabled support team (Mrs C working with backofafagpacket.com), following my 94 miles on Wednesday, including several spells chasing His Excellency The General Secretary round the White Peak. Giddy life, eh?
Chris C

Postby Chris C » Wed Aug 20, 2014 9:24 pm

Bring lights tomorrow, and every Thursday until eternity, well next year sometime.
Chris C

Postby Chris C » Fri Aug 22, 2014 4:40 pm

There were matching teams in the car park as the doleful bells of St Tesco’s rang out the hour of 7pm: five in the fast group and five of us. While we were greatly honoured at the invitation to join the Masters of the Universe, it didn’t take me more than 0.001 seconds to decline on my group’s behalf and we waved them on their merry way (‘them’ being Malcolm, Oliver, Mick, Mike K and Rob).

I immediately deployed my Famous Five (me, Steve L, Paul F, Warren and Nick L) into the Famous One - minute on the front - formation, which we maintained with ruthless efficiency until the end of lap one, where we picked up Dave Members, fresh from the South of France (now I know where my subs go) and showing no ill effects from his 103K round the ‘West Peak’ (I too looked for this fabled mountain and failed to find it) the day before. Now We Were Six, we segued seamlessly into ‘through and off’ (I tell you I’m proud of this lot, synchronised swimming has nothing on us) and continued as the rain came back to the foot of the, regretably very real, Pesky Peak at an average of 19.4 mph (seemed faster, we agreed, with just 5/6 of us and a fair, or rather unfair, wind). 19.1 to base camp – very smooth ride; lashings of lemonade in our bottles; what’s not to like, George?
Chris C

Next

Return to Training