Forum

Introductory/Slower training ride - Year 2 of 1,000

Training rides info + discussion

Introductory/Slower training ride - Year 2 of 1,000

Postby Chris C » Fri Jul 12, 2013 4:47 pm

Just seven riders last night and not actually all at the same time. Dave Allcock, Phil Bridge, Annick Cottom, me, Dave Haley, Warren Jackson and welcome to new rider Steve Lomas. 19.4 mph to Siddington X, 19.0 to the summit.
Chris C

Re: Introductory/Slower training ride - Year 2 of 1,000

Postby Chris C » Fri Jul 19, 2013 1:22 pm

Herr Strudel

Before starting my, though I say it myself, not unsuccessful, career in the world of braces and stripy shirts trading Corporate Eurobonds, I trained as a pastry chef in pre-war Vienna under the benevolent tutelage of Master Baker Ignatius Strudel. ‘The Professor’ as he liked the sous chefs to call him, was something of a moral philosopher, much given to proclaiming aphorisms and proverbs in the early morning as he mixed the dough for his signature Weichselstrude, a confection for which the world will be forever in his debt.

“Christophe”, he would intone as he fixed me with his familiar gimlet stare, “Rules are here to be broken. Like biscuits”, snapping a brace of Garibaldi between his index finger and thumb before going boldly off-recipe by doubling the ratio of poppy seeds to sour cherries.

The Professor is long dead now but I had cause last night to recall my old teacher as we ascended the Holy Mountain. For the one rule to which I am bound, as founding convenor of the Introductory/Slower training ride of the Macclesfield Wheelers Cycling Club (Thursdays), is that the group should stick together on Pexhill. As I dueled on its upper reaches with Herr Evans after leaving our companions, I knew Herr Strudel would be proud of me, ready as always to reward an iconoclast with a large éclair or slice of Sachertorte.
Chris C

Postby Chris C » Fri Jul 19, 2013 1:25 pm

Last night my sous pastry chef companions were Herr Brian Evans, Herr Eccles Pike, Herr Steve Lomas and Herr Dave Mudguards. We averaged 19.9 mph to the base of the Holy Mountain, 19.7 to the summit.
Chris C

Postby ecclespike » Thu Jul 25, 2013 9:46 pm

Some are born great, some achieve greatness and some have greatness thrust upon them.

With Mr Cottom's absence due to pressing business at the ancestral pile, Gawsworth Hall, I reluctantly assumed the mantle of responsibility for tonight's slower/introductory training ride.

Seven Gregarios tore up the tarmac of Siddington and Swettenham achieving 20mph to the foot of Mt Pex and 19.3mph to the top. We even showed the fast boys a thing or two as they struggled to keep up with our blistering pace on the descent of Pexhill. :shock:

The roll of honour, in no particular order, Rich Thomas, Plumber to the stars Simon, Ralph "evergreen" Walker, Dave "Mudguards", Warren, Steve Lomas and myself Eccles Cake
Purgamentum init, exit purgamentum.
ecclespike

Postby Chris C » Fri Aug 02, 2013 9:59 am

Good supportive ride last night and great to have two new riders with us, Will Tudor-Evans and Karen Harper, joining regulars Annick, me, Brian E, Dave Haley, Dave Hill, Warren, Eddie and good to see John 'Iron Man' Sanders again. Average speed to Siddington X 17.8 mph and 17.6 to the top, with Karen continuing to go through and off right to the top. Brilliant; what will she achieve if she pumps her tyres up?
Chris C

Postby Chris C » Fri Aug 09, 2013 9:11 am

Excellent steady ride last night, hardly shifting from 18.6 mph all the way round, surely unlike the Masters of The Universe, who must certainly put on an extra vanity spurt as they hammer home past us the other way along Forty League Boot Lane. Glad they're not going too fast to say hello, unlike the Wills Wheels ride who were far too intent last night to bother to acknowledge us.

14 riders, including (a world record) four called Chris - me, Chris Higgs, Chris Davison (not too fatigued after Pym Chair on Wednesday to take time out for a comfort break and still catch us up without taking a short cut) and welcome to new member Chris Illingworth. Non-Chris riders were Ralph Walker, Dave Haley, Brian Evans, Eddie Goodwin, Richards Thomas and Dearden, Steve Lomas, Will Tudor-Evans, Karen Harper and welcome back to Alex Taylor. Great to see how much Will and Karen had improved since their first outings last week. Four of these riders are new to training rides this summer.

18.6 mph average to Siddington X, 18.5 to the top.

I can honestly say that you will find no better way of spending a Thursday evening. See that I'm not wrong by joining us next week.
Chris C

Postby Chris C » Fri Aug 16, 2013 1:00 pm

No less than four new riders last night – welcome to Dave Hanks, Lucy Colquhoun, Richard Heathcote and Simon Burrow, joining old hands (well legs perhaps) Eddie Goodwin, James Russell, Nigel Bird, Dave Haley, Annick Cottom, me and Chris Illingworth (already counting himself as an old lag on his second week). I’ll do the maths for you: that’s 11 riders.

17.8 mph back to Siddington X, 17.6 to the top, by which time it was well raining, (well, raining well, or badly, depending on your perspective).

Bring lights if you come next week, it''s getting dark now for your ride home afterwards.
Chris C

Postby Chris C » Fri Aug 23, 2013 1:47 pm

One dozen riders last night, freshly baked. Nigel Bird (only half-baked), welcome back from holiday to Mathew Burt, welcome to new rider Stewart Calthorpe, welcome back for second outing to Lucy Colqhoun, Annick Cottom, me, Eddie Goodwin, Dave Hill, welcome back from holiday to Cheryl Horton, welcome back for third outing to Chris Illingworth, welcome back for second outing and big congratulations to Robert Rowson aged 11, still in the bunch at the summit with only a small push up Pexhill from dad Mark, aged 11+.

Average speed 18.0 mph back to Siddington X, 17.7 to the top. Average plummeted 0.4 mph dawdling behind a trailer of straw being towed by a team of snails for a million miles along Sweaty Road.

Lights required now please.
Chris C

Postby Chris C » Fri Aug 30, 2013 3:57 pm

Ten riders last night: Phil B, Eddie G, Chris I, Chris Me, Mark R, Robert R, Nigel B, Andrew F, James R, Warren J. 18.4 mph back to Siddington X and 17.7 to the top. On the third lap we sent Robert with Mark down the New Road short cut towards the end of Sweaty Road, leading down to Trap Road and thus missing out Hall Green Lane. They did a Tony Martin and we didn’t see them again until Siddington X.

When we were a couple of hundred yards or so up Pexhill Road, we realised that a car was overtaking us, slowly but unbelievably, just as the road bends left as it comes out of the trees. A car coming the other way had to stop dead and the overtaking driver steered towards the single line of riders requiring several to brake sharply. This caused a clash of wheels and Nigel and Robert went down, suffering cuts and bruises but recovering enough after a while to continue. The overtaking driver told me that she had been waiting behind us all the way from the crossroads, to which I replied that she should wait all the way to the top if it wasn’t safe to overtake. I hope she understands what a dangerous manoeuvre she was attempting.

:(
Chris C

Postby Chris C » Thu Sep 05, 2013 12:45 pm

Don't forget - lights now required on this ride please.
Chris C

Postby Chris C » Fri Sep 06, 2013 1:38 pm

14 of us last night, including brand new riders, Emily Mackintosh and Claire Purcell. ‘Good as new’ riders were: Moray, Dave Halefellowwellmet, Annick, Andrew , Eddie, Jim, Phil, Chris I, I Chris, Matthew missed-the-cut-for-the-fast-group-by-not-leaving-home-until-7.05 Burt, and welcome back to Karen Harper and Paul Cartwright. Big thanks to Moray for guiding Claire round and congratulations to Claire for keeping going round all three laps. 17.9 mph to Siddington X and 17.4 to the peak of Mount Pixel.
Chris C

Postby Chris C » Fri Sep 06, 2013 5:08 pm

Since the Masters of the Universe ride starts at 6.30 pm next week, we will now start at 7.00 pm not 7.05 pm. That's next week and every week until er, um some time next year.

Be there or be square.
Chris C

Postby Chris C » Fri Sep 13, 2013 1:17 pm

A little over one year ago I had a dream.

I dreamt of a training ride that could accommodate slower riders, those new to training rides, even those new to riding in a group. I dreamt that such a ride could attract and retain lady riders and perhaps even teenagers. Last night my dream achieved its ultimate fulfilment with an excellent, well disciplined ride that was a credit to all riders. For we managed to ride a pace that enabled Claire Purcell, returning to her great credit after being well off the back last week, to keep on the back of the group the whole way round.

One dozen riders, who were: Jim, Phil, Nigel, Andrew, Rich D, Wheelers Overlords Daves Haley and Harbottle, Moray, Claire, welcome back to Emily Mackintosh also returning for second helpings, welcome to Annie Davidson, and me. Thank you again to Moray, staying on the back to help Claire and Annie the whole way round.

Following Emily’s puncture on lap 2, we split at the end of that lap, a Secret Seven heading back, and a Famous Five, insisting on getting their money’s worth, continuing for a wet third circuit. Nearing the top of Salters Lane, the five found poor Dave Harbottle, attempting roadside repairs on his chain and rear mech despite hardly being able to see them through the murk and rain. We aimed our front lights on the offending equipment and Master Mechanic Nigel Bird stepped up to the plate, ably assisted by Apprentice Mechanic Andrew Ford. Eventually the remaining Four Horsemen of what was by then certainly the Apocalypse ascended the Holy Mountain without further mishap. I clocked 15.7 mph to Siddington X, actually having to stop to read my computer, and the same to the top.

I finally arrived home, wet, dirty but perfectly happy, at 9.45, retreating after a hose down and the judicious application of the business end of a stiff brush, to my lair on the sofa. There, not even the excitement of the recorded highlights of Stage 18 of La Vuelta a España could keep me from surrendering without further ado to the Land of Nod.
Chris C

Postby thetrotter » Fri Sep 13, 2013 4:19 pm

" I finally arrived home, wet, dirty but perfectly happy, at 9.45, retreating after a hose down and the judicious application of the business end of a stiff brush, to my lair on the sofa" :shock:
Samuel Pecke : A bald headed buzzard content only in wenching, lying and drinking.
thetrotter

Postby dharbott » Fri Sep 13, 2013 6:32 pm

thetrotter wrote:" I finally arrived home, wet, dirty but perfectly happy, at 9.45, retreating after a hose down and the judicious application of the business end of a stiff brush, to my lair on the sofa" :shock:

Yep... My thanks to Chris, Nig and Andrew for assisting me - I must have been static for around an hour!
David Harbottle
dharbott

Next

Return to Training