Forum

Introductory/Slower training ride - Year 2 of 1,000

Training rides info + discussion

Re: Introductory/Slower training ride - Year 2 of 1,000

Postby Chris C » Thu Mar 27, 2014 11:01 pm

It was with mixed feelings that I approached a vacant lot at 19.01 this evening (that's the vacant parking lot, not the vacant cycling lot) and waited in the rain until my unselfish gene had reached its self-determined deadline of 19.05. Turning to the exit and a ten minute ride back to my sofa and a good book ('The New Confessions by William Boyd', available from Wilmslow Library from 5 April but I'm on schedule to complete earlier), who should emerge from the gloaming but dear Brian E. We rode to the start of Forty League Lane at a conversational pace and then took a long minute on the front each for three circuits all the way back to the summit of Mount P, recording 17.0 mph to Tell Sid Central and 16.6 to the top. Good ride, glad I did it, who cares about a little rain?
Chris C

Postby thetrotter » Sat Mar 29, 2014 9:57 am

Always prefer reading William Boyd to riding in the rain. Just finished Waiting for Sunrise which is excellent. On the other hand, and thinking about it further, I prefer reading the back of a cereal packet to riding in the rain :shock: So chapeau to you and Brian (no wildlife corner - presumably they were all sheltering as well?)
Samuel Pecke : A bald headed buzzard content only in wenching, lying and drinking.
thetrotter

Postby Chris C » Sat Mar 29, 2014 9:47 pm

Wildlife Corner - late extra
Actually a big bird did cross our path but it was so murky (the weather, not the bird) that I couldn't tell if it was an owl or a pheasant, and of course species accuracy is the watchword of a serious twitcher like me. 'Better not to spot at all than to spot wrongly' as my old natural history teacher, Mr P.E. Lican used to say. For all I could see on Thursday night, it could have been Big Bird from Sesame Street.
Chris C

Postby thetrotter » Mon Mar 31, 2014 10:43 pm

Chris C wrote:Wildlife Corner - late extra
Actually a big bird did cross our path. For all I could see ....it could have been Big Bird from Sesame Street.

Hum. Might need to look at the composition of your training "potions" if you're seeing the Big Bird from Sesame Street. Think that Willy Voet may have some words of wisdom :wink:
Samuel Pecke : A bald headed buzzard content only in wenching, lying and drinking.
thetrotter

Postby Chris C » Fri Apr 04, 2014 11:00 pm

There were 10 of us on Thursday night: Moray, Rob, Paul D, Chris I, Chris Me, Annick, Nigel, Simon, Phil and Andy. Good steady ride: 18.1 and 18.0 mph, the latter stat without me as a slow puncture pointed me decisively to the Dark Lane escape route and home to ponder the most peculiar sight, as we had been waiting in the dark at Sidd X to return to Pexhill, of a group of about eight lady riders, all on road bikes, waiting the other side of the junction to go the opposite way. I wonder who they were. Answers on a postcard please.
:?:
Chris C

Postby Chris C » Wed Apr 09, 2014 5:52 pm

Patrons are advised that this ride starts at 7.05 pm from tomorrow, just as soon as the fast group has got out of our way. Don't pick the wrong ride!
Chris C

Postby Chris C » Sat Apr 12, 2014 11:20 am

After an exciting pre-ride mingle with the glamour boys of the fast group, to which we ceded a couple of regulars, six of us set off at a jaunty pace, maintaining this at an average of 18.3 mph all the way back to Sidd Central, where two senior riders took advantage of the gloaming for a discreet comfort break while the others ambled up Mount P until we (oh, what a giveaway) caught them up. We hit the summit at an overall average of 17.8.

Very smooth ride, well done to all riders, particularly to new-to-this-ride Dave Lacey and Rob Skinner, joining old lags Phil, Andrew, Brian and me. Indeed, we were working so well together on, I think, lap 3, that, when an apparition in familiar Wheelers orange shot past us with a cheery greeting, my companions begged me to let us try and catch him. 'No', I counselled, 'we haven't a chance in hell, for you have been, albeit momentarily, in the presence of greatness: the rider you witnessed was none other than The Mighty Quinn.'
Chris C

Postby Chris C » Fri Apr 18, 2014 11:08 am

Just three of us last night. We waved our (fast) boys off to the front and immediately started with a minute on the front each, maintaining this formation all the way round and back up to the top. 19.1 mph back to Sidd X, 18.6 to the summit, good ride but pretty hard work really with just three of us. My companions were the indefatigable Chris I and, back for week two and cementing a free upgrade to Monday nights, Rob Skinner.
Chris C

Postby Chris C » Fri Apr 25, 2014 7:24 am

Just three of us again last night: Chris I, I Chris and welcome to Will Kershaw,aged 16. A blistering 20.0 mph back to Sidd Central, 19.5 to the top. Hope that Will can go with the fast group next week and give me a rest.
Chris C

Postby Chris C » Mon May 05, 2014 7:43 am

I have always intended that this ride should suit those new to training rides, those recovering from illness or surgery and faster riders happy to go a bit slower. Last Thursday we had at least one rider in each category. I am of course far too discreet to discuss in public which riders rode under which mantles, but the team of six (not all actually riding at the same time) comprised Jim, Moray, me, James, welcome back to Dave Hill and welcome to Gerard Lockheed. 16.7 and 16.2 mph.
Chris C

Postby Chris C » Mon May 12, 2014 12:35 pm

DATELINE 12 MAY 2014 STOP ROVING REPORTER CHRIS C SIGNING IN LATE WITH RIDE STATS FOR INTRO/SLOWER RIDE THURSDAY 8 MAY 2014 STOP

16.8 MPH AND 16.6 MPH STOP

FOUR RIDERS STOP MORAY STOP CHRIS C STOP DAVE MEMBERS STOP RICHARD T GO
Chris C

Postby Chris C » Fri May 16, 2014 4:25 pm

Very disciplined ride last night, a credit to all eight riders, who were: Chris I, Moray, Andrew, Steve Lomas, Jim, Brian E, Dave Members (and of course me, on course for, er, another training ride under my non-leather belt).

18.2 and 18.0 mph, making it 2 mph slower than last Monday night. We were even joined from the end of lap 3 by Wheelers legend and fast group refusenik Mark Bethell.
Chris C

Postby Chris C » Fri May 23, 2014 12:38 pm

Last night's gang of four was: the evergreen Dave Members, the everlasting Chris I, the everreadyforaride me and welcome to new member Dan O'donnell - cracking ride Dan and well done for braving the rain for your first outing with a group. 18.4 mph ave from base camp back to Sidd X and 17.8 back to the top.
Chris C

Postby Chris C » Fri May 30, 2014 4:40 pm

With seven riders last night we were able to resume going through and off, rather than the single line with a minute on the front that we deployed last week, resulting, I'm pleased to say, in faster times: 18.5 mph back to Sidd X and 18.2 to the top. The Secret Seven were: Me, welcome back for week 2 to Dan O'donnell, Rob Skinner, Joe, Jim, Dave Subs and Moray. Good disciplined ride.
Chris C

Postby Chris C » Sat Jun 07, 2014 8:46 am

Eight riders on Thursday for a delightful summer ride where courtesy and consideration for other riders was the over-riding theme. Chris I, I Chris, Annick, Joe, Nick L, Phil, Dave Hill and welcome to Janet Shaw. Even Chris I's pesky puncture on the ascent of Mount Pesk did nothing to dent our mellow evening karma, the result of an average of 18.6 mph to Sidd X. By the (slightly delayed) summit, we were at 18.2.
Chris C

PreviousNext

Return to Training