Forum

Introductory/Slower training ride - Year 2 of 1,000

Training rides info + discussion

Re: Introductory/Slower training ride - Year 2 of 1,000

Postby Chris C » Fri Jan 17, 2014 2:53 pm

I’m proud that the Introductory/Slower training ride (Thursday department) of the Macclesfield Wheelers Cycling Club continues to be a testbed for leading-edge cycling equipment. Last night’s ride saw three innovations that will surely soon be de rigeur amongst cycling cognoscenti. We firstly marvelled as Phil’s 99p laser rear light gave the car park surface something to think about (see http://www.ebay.co.uk/bhp/laser-rear-cycle-light).

Then, just as we were leaving, Becky arrived (welcome back Becky) with quite the longest flap I have ever seen on a rear mudguard (and I’ve seen a few, as I relate in my memoir 'Soar Out of the Saddle', available in the remaindered section of all good bookshops, film rights still available). Both items however paled to insignificance in comparison with the rear mudguard of our beloved membership secretary, a masterpiece of engineering construction that appears to grow a further section for every ride. Last night’s variant delighted followers with its close imitation of a kangaroo’s tail, wagging from side to side with extra vigour every time Mr Members stood on his pedals. I laughed ‘til I stopped - The Guardian.

Good steady ride, nice dry road for a change, actually faster than Monday – 17.2 mph back to Sid Central, 16.8 to the sign of the Broken Man, to which we rode as a group. Eleven riders no less: welcome back to Andrew, supported around lap 2 (as Huw was last week) by Simon with Rich taking the double shift - the same pair of Superheroes similarly helping Annick back from the end of lap 3. Other roles played by members of the cast: Moray, me, Nigel and Eccles Cake the Elder.

This is cycling at its very best. I urge you to give it a go.
Chris C

Postby Chris C » Fri Jan 24, 2014 3:44 pm

NB, MM, CC, RD, BE*, 17. 3 & 17.0 mph.

(My writing is moving into a minimalist phase and I am re-engineering myself as a man of few words).

* Full marks to HM-S for showing up in the hail and sleet. I imagine he gave his crank a good talking to when he got home after it declined to co-operate and forced his master to abandon on the outward journey even before Dark Lane.

Wildlife Corner
I saw an owl. Owls have always featured prominently in the mythology and folklore of a variety of cultures. These mysterious nocturnal creatures are thought to be symbols of wisdom, omens of death, and bringers of prophecy. In fact, owls are one of the oldest species of vertebrate animal, with fossils dating back 60 million years. Owls have been a source of inspiration to writers, artists, historians and naturalists alike. Most owls share an innate ability to fly almost silently and also more slowly in comparison to other birds of prey. Most owls live a mainly nocturnal lifestyle and being able to fly without making any noise gives them a strong advantage over their prey that are listening for any sign of noise in the dark night. The surface of the flight feathers is covered with a velvety structure that absorbs the sound of the wing moving. These unique structures reduce noise frequencies above 2 kHz making the sound level emitted drop below the typical hearing spectrum of the owl’s usual prey and also within the owl’s own best hearing range. This optimizes the owl’s ability to silently fly in order to capture prey without the prey hearing the owl first as it flies in. It also allows the owl to monitor the sound output from its flight pattern.
Chris C

Postby Chris C » Tue Jan 28, 2014 4:02 pm

Earlier today the forecast for Thursday at 6pm was freezing. Now it's a balmy 1 degree. I really hope we can ride, and we've stuck to gritted routes in the past, but on very cold evenings please check the home page of this website in case I cancel the ride (based on my test ride home from work so this might not be until as late as 6.15).
Chris C

Postby cjilli » Wed Jan 29, 2014 2:55 pm

Fingers crossed on the weather. I should actually be able to make it out tomorrow and need to see how much fitness I've lost over the festive period.
Chris Illingworth - bloke with a bike
cjilli

Postby Chris C » Thu Jan 30, 2014 3:20 pm

Forecast update from Met Central direct to my Batphone indicates 2 degrees at 1800, warming to 3 degrees at 2100 so I reckon we're good to go. We ride at 1900.
Chris C

Postby Chris C » Fri Jan 31, 2014 9:02 pm

Good steady ride last night and dry as well, only starting to rain as we reached the summit of the holy mountain. Nine pilgrims: Jim, Phil, the indefatigable Simon J, Nigel, Andrew, me and welcome back to Chris Illingworth, Chris Gowler and Dave 'No Relation' Boardman. 16.7 and 16.4 mph.

Wildlife Corner
Chris I and I Chris saw an owl as we descended Mount Pex.
Chris C

Postby Chris C » Fri Feb 07, 2014 5:58 pm

As I assembled my soggy band of riders under the sign of the Broken Man last night we were heartened by a cheery wave from Supercommuter Mr Trotter as he sped through, not even a waterproof on his highly tuned bod as a concession to the weather.

Chris G, Chris I, I Chris (bit of a theme here), Simon and Annick. Hard to see hence 15.9 and 15.6 mph. Indeed I don't recall so much surface water on this circuit, most of which we seemed to collect in our gloves.
Chris C

Postby thetrotter » Sat Feb 08, 2014 12:09 am

Was it raining? Never noticed 8)
Samuel Pecke : A bald headed buzzard content only in wenching, lying and drinking.
thetrotter

Postby Chris C » Fri Feb 14, 2014 3:21 pm

Good, smooth ride last night, a credit to all nine riders: Phil, Jim, Simon and on and on (he just keeps on coming out ride after ride and watch out he’s getting fitter), welcome back to Laura, James the First of England, Annick, me Chris, Chris I and Brian ‘Bee Costume’ Evans. 16.9 mph to Sidd X and er um 16.9 to the top after I graciously allowed four of us to press on and test our specs on Mount Pex.
Chris C

Postby thetrotter » Sun Feb 16, 2014 5:49 pm

Your man Jennings was an animal today. You're not kidding he's getting fitter. I hear that a certain five times Tour winner is reconsidering his (over hasty) promise to give him a good pasting in a forthcoming European sportive.
Samuel Pecke : A bald headed buzzard content only in wenching, lying and drinking.
thetrotter

Postby Chris C » Fri Feb 21, 2014 6:55 pm

Good, disciplined ride last night 17.5 and 17.2 mph (faster than Monday). Simon (who else?), Moray, Phil, Chris I, Chris me.
Chris C

Postby Chris C » Fri Feb 28, 2014 4:12 pm

Yesterday I had to miss my morning ride to work to make a rare trip to London. There, the crammed pavements and a meeting full of indecipherable acronyms and terms like ‘stakeholder mapping’ made me feel like a hick from the sticks. A cracked rail halted my return train outside Congleton and we set off back towards Stoke to ‘detrain’ and await relief buses. I went over the wire at Kidsgrove to find a concourse bereft of life, taxis or even a pony and trap. The taxi office that hove into view after a short walk was no mirage and I was home for 18.25, changed and out on my bike 20 minutes later. As I sped along the familiar lanes in the crisp evening with my trusted companions, I knew that you can keep your Shards and London Eyes, your Boris Bikes and overpriced sandwiches, for it was here, doing just this, that I was happy.

Thank you to Moray, Andrew, Paul D, Nigel, Chris I, Eddie and a very loud owl. 17.6 and 17.2 mph.
Chris C

Postby Chris C » Fri Mar 07, 2014 7:23 pm

Half a dozen free ranging eggheads last night. Well disciplined ride. Paul, Nigel, Chris I, me, Jim and welcome to Karen Bain (cracking ride Karen). 16.9 mph to Sidd Central and 16.7 to the top. Heard Mr Owl again on Hallgreen Lane; I think he was waiting for us.
Chris C

Postby Chris C » Sat Mar 15, 2014 11:28 am

Excellent disciplined ride on Thursday, a credit to all nine riders, who were Annick, Laura, Nicci (great to see three ladies on this ride), Jim, Moray, Rich, Simon, Brian and me. 16.9 and 16.5 mph. We rode all the way to The Summit as a group - great.

Wildlife Corner
No reported live sightings, unlike Monday night when we saw one owl and heard two (may have been the same one three times of course, playing games with us).
Chris C

Postby Chris C » Sun Mar 23, 2014 9:32 pm

Here's a late report from Thursday night (just catching up with the paperwork, I'd rather ride 'em than write 'em). Following an early expedition from Dr Livingstone Macnee, we sent an intrepid band of explorers down the back straight of beyond (aka Trap Street) to discover the eighth wonder of the modern world - a beautifully patched smooth stretch of road all the way from the crossroads after Clonter Opera, past the sign of the Black Swansong, all the way to the junction at the end of lap one.

This exciting development, for which we must genuflect appropriately at the offices of the good Council Folk, can be expected to add 0.001 mph to the average speed of all future Wheelers' training rides (well at least the ones that use this circuit, that is). Personally, as a dyed in the wool traditionalist, I shall, however, take some time to get used to the disappearance of the Scalextric-like groove in the centre of the road just after Swan Lake (ballet as well as opera references in this highest of high-brow reports).

Eight of us in the dug-out canoe: Chris I (going like a train), Paul D (going like a drain), Moray, Annick, me, Phil, Nigel and Simon. 16.8 down the Congo, 16.5 mph to the top of Mount Kilimanjaro.

Wildlife Corner
Several crocs [don't you mean crocks? - Ed]

:afro:
Chris C

PreviousNext

Return to Training