Forum

Monday night

Training rides info + discussion

Re: Monday night

Postby Chris C » Tue Dec 23, 2014 12:15 pm

Just two turtle doves (Paul F and me) set out down Pexhill last night with such a mega headwind that, by the time we reached Sidd X, our average was just 16.3 mph. Fortunately we then spied the welcome reflectives of Richard T waiting like a beacon in the murk. By the time we crossed the A34 for the second time, we’d pushed the average up to 17.3, which we managed to maintain all the way up the Holy Mountain.

Next Monday ride - 11am Mon 29 December. Remember daylight?

This is Chris C, Macclesfield Wheelers, Broken Cross, signing off for Christmas.
Chris C

Postby pacsman » Tue Dec 23, 2014 7:03 pm

And God bless us, every one. :wink:
Paul Fenton
Probationary Member
------__o
-----_\<,_
----(_)/ (_)
pacsman

Postby Chris C » Tue Dec 30, 2014 9:42 am

Nick L and Squeezy Pete joined my birthday celebration daylight ride yesterday on which we blasted three times round the Goostrey circuit and back to Sidd X at an average speed of 18.5 mph. Although I'd ordered a pantechnicon to transport home the many gifts I had been expecting to await my triumphant arrival at the summit (at an average of 17.9 mph), this wasn't in fact required. Perhaps the extensive collection of customised bikes and other cycling curios will arrive later. I shall stay in, just in case.

I'm 61 today, a year beyond the barrier.
And what was once a magic flute
Is now a water carrier.
Chris C

Postby thetrotter » Tue Dec 30, 2014 8:26 pm

Macc's answer to Philip Larkin :-D
Samuel Pecke : A bald headed buzzard content only in wenching, lying and drinking.
thetrotter

Postby Chris C » Mon Jan 05, 2015 3:40 pm

New year, new you?

I'm expecting a surge in numbers on the training ride tonight as Wheelers everywhere dust off their derailleurs ready for new year training. Just come out with us every week and I guarantee you a new body by December*. First come, first served**.

* Year to be advised.
** Offer restricted to the first 100 riders.
Chris C

Postby Chris C » Tue Jan 06, 2015 1:13 pm

Eight riders kicked off the new year in fine form last night at an average speed of 18.5 mph back to Sidd X. Joining me were: Nigel, Paul D, Rob M, Colin, Richard T, Matt D and Laura (terrific ride Laura, at least until halfway up P Hill, at which point I unleashed the hounds of hell to be swallowed up by the darkness near the appropriately named Dark Lane). 17.9 to the top (hounds faster).

New Body offer extended by one week
It’s not too late to get that new bod for Christmas. Join us next week for our no-obligation, no sweat, no kidding 51-week special makeover.

Ride with me every Monday and I, Chris C, training master, guarantee you a new bod by Christmas. This is my pledge.

Signed Chris C
X
his mark
Chris C

Postby thetrotter » Tue Jan 06, 2015 7:02 pm

Yes, but can you guarantee a better bod, not one broken on the wheel of your relentless pace setting B-)
Samuel Pecke : A bald headed buzzard content only in wenching, lying and drinking.
thetrotter

Postby thetrotter » Tue Jan 06, 2015 9:05 pm

Will you be serving hot minestrone soup at the end? http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/fitness/ ... ang-151012
thetrotter

Postby Chris C » Tue Jan 13, 2015 5:50 pm

It was so cold as I approached the Broken X car park last night at my statutory 18.58 that I wondered if anyone would actually turn up. I need not have worried. There, waiting in the gloom, were Monday night stalwarts Nigel, Rob M, and Colin. Suddenly riders were arriving thick and fast (well thick at any rate) so that by our statutory winter start time of 19.02 there were no less than 10 of us. We belted down Pexhill and back to Sidd X at an eye-watering 19.5 mph, which I don’t mind admitting here that I was, on occasions, struggling with. I summited at an overall average of 19.0 (most others faster). Hope someone slower joins us next week and we can adjust the pace accordingly. As well as the aforementioned stalwarts, my companions were: Paul H, Paul D, Matt D, welcome back Matt B the Younger, Nick and Ant. What a team, what a blast, and all achieved without so much as a sniff of hot minestrone.
Chris C

Postby Chris C » Sun Jan 18, 2015 4:09 pm

This morning the forecast for tomorrow's training time was -2, now it's forecast to be a balmy -1. If it carries in this direction, we'll be riding. If the forecast stays around freezing or -1, I'll cancel the ride. Please check the home page tomorrow before setting out. If we do go (and I think it's unlikely), we'll follow the gritted route round Goostrey. I intend, of course, to wake hourly through the night to tap my barometer on your behalf (all part of the service, as I boasted at the Ride Leaders' Training Course that I attended yesterday in Openshaw).
Chris C

Postby Chris C » Mon Jan 19, 2015 11:59 am

It is with mucho regret that I have cancelled tonight’s intermediate training ride. The forecast is too freezy and the safety of all riders remains my primary concern. I am now taking bookings for introductory turbot sessions in my garage at a special members’ rate of just £99 an hour. I expect the machine’s deadly charms to claim me personally tonight between 19.00 and 19.05, by which time I anticipate that the allure of a couple of hours studying a physics textbook while eating cold beetroot will prove irresistible.
Chris C

Postby Simon Galgut » Mon Jan 19, 2015 2:25 pm

Safety AND added training drag:

http://www.bike24.com/1.php?content=8;n ... gc=127:454

Highly recommended.
Simon Galgut

Postby Chris C » Tue Jan 20, 2015 5:59 pm

That was the most boring Monday evening I've had since er, um, records began. Faffed around for yonks before braving the turbo. Spent ages adjusting it, and it was so cold in the garage that I didn't even break sweat. Perhaps I shouldn't have been reading a book at the same time (Restoration by Rose Tremain - really good). Kept waking up through the night, no doubt because my bod had missed being put to the sword as usual by Messrs Dean, Yates, Maxwell, Duck et al. I must be an Exercise Addict.

:bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:
Chris C

Postby Mickoc » Tue Jan 20, 2015 6:51 pm

Chris,

Reading a book!!! Were you really trying. When you finished your session you should be sweating like a pig. You should be radiating that much heat your garage should be positively balmy.

If you are to become a devotee of the turbo you must remember the saying No pain No gain :shock:

Must go now and complete my 30 minutes of HIT intervals :twisted:

Then I will sleep like a baby through the night :-D

Here endeth the lesson :-D

Mick OC
Mickoc

Postby thetrotter » Tue Jan 20, 2015 9:31 pm

I'm with Mick on this - you may be cold at the start but you should be (really) warm by the end! I never use the turbo without a plan (which never involves just sitting and riding). There are loads of turbo sessions on the Internet: the simplest session I use is one minute flat out with one minute rest repeated as many times as you can manage (perfect demonstration of the theory of relativity in that the one minute flat out lasts for an eternity and the one minute recovery goes in the blink of an eye). If you want something more complicated then try these: http://www.planetx.co.uk/news/teams-and ... or-january
thetrotter

PreviousNext

Return to Training