Forum

Monday night

Training rides info + discussion

Re: Monday night

Postby Chris C » Tue Oct 20, 2015 12:56 pm

pacsman wrote:I am quite certain there was an eleventh member with us.

Dave Hill
Chris C

Postby Chris C » Tue Oct 20, 2015 1:00 pm

Great ride last night, very smooth and disciplined, fast too: 19.6 mph to Sidd X and, for me, 19.1 to the top, others faster of course. Nine riders: Nigel, Dave Hill, Andys J and W, Timo, Rob, Colin, me and welcome back after several years to Lewis Sanders.

Unsolicited testimonial from A Rider: 'This is cycling at its very best. I urge you to try it.'
Chris C

Postby Chris C » Tue Oct 27, 2015 5:21 pm

Another excellent, very smooth ride. Six of us: Rob, Col, Dan M, Dave Hill, Nigel and, bringing up the rear as usual (but only just as we try and stay together climbing Le Pex in the winter), me. Pretty windy, and that was just the ride leader - nothing to do wth my increasingly vegan diet, including the angelic delights of Mrs C's prune and tofu whip (I am not making this up).

19.1 and 18.7 mph.
Chris C

Postby Chris C » Wed Nov 04, 2015 5:57 pm

Rob n Col, Matt Y, Nigel and me. 18.5 and 18.2 mph. Seemed faster really but, hey, it's harder work with just five riders. Be one of the six next week. Go on, I dare you...
Chris C

Postby Chris C » Thu Nov 12, 2015 12:06 pm

I have again been neglecting my reading public (hi Mum), fully engaged as I am presently in my 9-5 job (Trophy Monitor to the Macclesfield Wheelers). I was just leading the Gang of Four (Nigel, Paul D, Rob and Colin) out of the car park at 19.02 on Monday, ready as always to sneak off the front before the turn to P Hill to allow a couple of stronger riders (aka anyone else) to take the wind for the next 3.8 miles, when we stepped aside to allow a car to access our sacred gathering ground. Fortunately a rider more observant than I noticed that the car contained a bike, and indeed the driver was none other than my friend Tim Potter, joining us for his first Monday ride (well his first ride with us on a Monday, I expect he has ridden a bike on the first day of the week before).

And so, only a little delayed, we set off into a wind that seemed to assail us in whatever direction we rode. A puncture on lap 1 delivered a little respite from our ardours and we returned to Sidd X at an average speed of 18.3 mph, summitting at 18.2, somewhat spattered with mud but satisfied nonetheless with our evening's exertions and returning, at least on my part, to the hero's welcome I have come to expect (at least from Harrington the rabbit, demanding, with some urgency, a late supper of a selection of fresh vegetables courtesy of Tesco's Finest).
Chris C

Postby Chris C » Tue Nov 17, 2015 12:13 pm

I can tell you, they breed 'em tough in the Macclesfield Wheelers. How lucky I am that a forecast of unremitting heavy rain didn't put off the likes of Colin, Rob, Nigel and welcome back to week two Tim P. A very respectable 18.3 mph back to Sidd X and 18.0 to the top, through and off the whole way round, nice and smooth, and yes we got pretty wet. But who cares?
Chris C

Postby thetrotter » Tue Nov 17, 2015 8:41 pm

:salut: :director: If it's raining, we're still training :director: :salut:
Samuel Pecke : A bald headed buzzard content only in wenching, lying and drinking.
thetrotter

Postby Chris C » Tue Nov 24, 2015 8:53 am

thetrotter wrote::salut: :director: If it's raining, we're still training :director: :salut:

And it was still raining last night. It's fair to say that I have a somewhat love/hate relationship with this ride, particularly at this time of year. Riding home from work last night sans waterproof I thought to myself 'Do I really want to go out again in this?' Fortunately perhaps, the ride leader has no choice, but half of me (the pedaling half) half hoped that there would be no one in the car park and I could return to my day job of trophy monitor as it builds to its frenetic annual crescendo at Saturday's glittering Hawaiian Tropic awards ceremony (have you got your ticket yet?)

Such negative thoughts were immediately dispelled when I saw, waiting for me as always, the faithful Nigel and the faithful Colin. And so we set out, to be joined on the descent by the faithful Rob. What a blast! Who cares about a little rain? Well, actually we did a bit so I guided us along the old route, ie taking the first short cut to continue along Long Lane rather than turning right along Forty League Lane. Doing this three times (yes we did all three circuits) gave us a total distance of 28.9 miles, so 1.5 short of the usual route. At Sidd X we were at 17.4, slowing to 17.2 by the top, having gone through and off the whole way round. And it was hardly raining anyway as we rode back.

How glad I am that I did this, as I explained to an astonished Mrs C after her return from her customary Monday evening yoga class with Bendy Wendy. Doing such a ride by myself would be unthinkable, but the companionship of my fellow riders turns hell into heaven. Thank you guys. See you next week.
Chris C

Postby Chris C » Tue Dec 01, 2015 5:06 pm

I had a mixed non-allergic reaction, some time ago, to being described by a close family member as OCD when it comes to cleaning my bike, but on last week’s ride Nigel made me realise that I was still a beginner. For Nigel told me that he would be cleaning his bike post-ride since it was so dirty that he just could not leave it. So when I got home I did mine too. And when, this week, Nigel said that the road conditions were just as bad, I knew again that a quick scrub with the business end of my customised hosepipe would again postpone my normal recovery fare of two toasted bagels and marmalade (orange with ginger, chunky).

But of course I also had to have a shower and put my kit through the washing machine before toasting. Such a shame that I was too fatigued until the morning to remember that I had failed to remove an envelope from the pocket of my jacket first. Oh well, it only contained a cheque for some random rider for their success in the Philip Whitmore 10 Mile Scratch Series.

Who was the unlucky unchequed rider? Here’s a clue: they’re often late for this ride (last week they were so late that they missed us and instead did the whole Byley circuit alone) and it wasn’t one of last night’s eight-strong cohort: Nigel, Rob, Colin, Andy W (making his first appearance on this ride as a married man, congratulations Andy but I fear that this news will cause hearts to break amongst the club’s single ladies), welcome back Gareth T, Tim P, Andy J and me.

18.6 mph back to Sidd X, 18.3 to the top. Would have been faster if I hadn’t had to carry that damn cheque around.
Chris C

Postby Ant Lear » Fri Dec 04, 2015 8:59 am

Having just read Monday's ride report Chris, I can only guess to the rider who you mention (or don't) as being a certain Mr Dean whose lateness is legendary. :-D
Oh no not another hill
Ant Lear

Postby Chris C » Fri Dec 04, 2015 9:15 am

Discretion is my middle name and nothing, short of the usual bung, will persuade me to reveal the legendary rider's identity.
Chris C

Postby Chris C » Tue Dec 08, 2015 8:41 am

Seven Riders For Seven Bikes yesterday on the Monday Intermediate training ride. On exiting the car park I immediately exercised the ancient prerogative of the ride leader and commanded two young race blades to take the front all the way down to Sidd X, which we therefore achieved at an average speed of 21.0 mph, with me hanging off the back several times. Then we hit the wind big time on lap 1, slowing us to a still highly respectable average of 19.1 back to Sidd X, and 18.7 to the top. No wonder I was so shattered, although I also blame my Sunday afternoon exertions rebuilding the roof (of Harrington the Rabbit's house, it'll be like Buckteethingham Palace when I've finished). My wonderful support team, and you'll have to guess which pair of these were honored by the ride leader's discreet tap on the mudguard in the car park, were Matts D and Y, Rob, Gareth (showing the benefits of our wash-day ride last Thursday), the indefatigable Nigel and welcome back haven't seen you for a while Dave B.
Chris C

Postby Chris C » Tue Dec 15, 2015 10:52 pm

We were just about to leave the car park last night when we were joined by long-time-no-see Steve M. ‘Where you bin Steve?’ I challenged with the direct, no nonsense style that will feature in my forthcoming bestselling paperback Motivation the Hard Way – a reappraisal of the leadership style of Officer Dibble. ‘Oh, you know – work and life just got in the way’ he replied. Come on Steve - THIS is life, surely? Welcome back, we’ve missed you.

So six geese a-laying (Colin, Rob, Matt D, Gareth, Andy W and me) became seven swans a-swimming, at least until lap one when Richard T made us eight maids a-milking.

It was a bit messy (the surface I mean, not the ride which was good, smooth and fast – 19.1 mph back to Sidd X and 18.6 to Base Camp, a credit to all riders). In the self-sacrificing spirit that is the lot of the ride leader I positioned myself behind the wheel of a flapless rider (actually his mudguard was also a few inches short of a full ruler), with the result that my face looked like I’d treated it to a truly organic mud pack by the time I stopped, gasping as usual, under the sign of the Broken Biscuit. No names, no pack drill but, as an entirely unrelated aside, I do hope that Colin gets a flap in his Christmas stocking.
Chris C

Postby Chris C » Tue Dec 22, 2015 6:19 pm

Why did I enjoy last night’s ride so much? Was it because I was going for double dollops as it would be the last Monday training ride of the year (no ride on 28th as it’s Supracross day). Was it because I was fresher than usual after not cycling to work and back, having finally succumbed to redundancy’s poisoned kiss? No sir, it was of course the company of my delightful companions, marred only marginally by the mysterious absence of that talisman of the training ride, Mr Max.

Good, smooth ride: 18.7 and 18.3 mph. The Nine Ladies Dancing were: Matt Y, Colin, Fred, Jo, Steve M, Nigel, Paul F, me and, here’s a big surprise, welcome back to Andy Swindells after only a six years absence. They always come back to us in the end.

The Intermediate training ride – Living The Dream.
Chris C

Postby Chris C » Tue Jan 05, 2016 8:17 am

It doesn't get much better than this. Absolutely brilliant training ride last night, like clockwork, like a well-oiled machine, as smooth as a baby's bottom, as smooth as Warren Beatty on a hot date, [paste cliche, paste cliche]. The Magnificent Six were Jo, Rob, welcome back for week three Dave Hughes notwithstanding that week two was September 2014, Nigel, Dave B and me.

As we ascended the lower reaches of Pexhill we picked up a lone rider who had sadly missed the cut, being bold enough to have ridden from home long distance, getting to the start line at 19.10 (we wait for no man). I am of course far too discreet to name this unfortunate creature, and am confident that the identity of a builder from Leek will remain a closely guarded secret.

18.3 mph back to Sidd X. Fell apart a bit on Pexhill but no matter. 17.9 to the top.
Chris C

PreviousNext

Return to Training