Forum

Monday night

Training rides info + discussion

Re: Monday night

Postby Chris C » Mon Jan 11, 2016 11:39 pm

Another good smooth, considerate ride tonight with 11 of us out. 18.7 mph round the houses and 18.4 to Base Camp. Matt Y, Timo, Rob, Colin, Laura (excellent ride Laura), Dave B, Nigel, me, Steve M, Gareth and Andy W.
Chris C

Re: Monday night

Postby Chris C » Wed Jan 20, 2016 11:46 am

How good it was to get back on the bike! After Mick’s most useful tip off about hedge cuttings seven of us avoided possible punctures by reverting to the traditional route along Long Lane, cutting out only half a mile from what we now know and love as the standard circuit.

Eight and a half years after first venturing out on this ride and exactly three years after seizing control of it, I’m relinquishing its leadership. I’m starting a new job next week that will involve variable shifts and a longer commute. I hope to continue as a participant as much as possible and with leading as many of the Thursday rides as I can for the time being.

Rob Maxwell will now lead this ride and I cannot think of a better new leader for it. He’s very strong, never misses a week and is very good at encouraging lesser mortals like me.

Let me tell you how keen Rob is. On the day of this year’s Supacross, we didn’t have a training ride but Rob went out and did the whole thing by himself anyway. And this week, as we were short of 1.5 miles, Rob continued for a solo fourth lap (of about five miles) while the rest of us (Andys J and W, Colin, Steve M, Nigel and me) headed home, achieving an average speed of 18.8 mph back to Sidd X and 18.2 to the top.

I hope you’ll join Rob next week.
Chris C

Previous

Return to Training