Forum

New slower training ride

Training rides info + discussion

Re: New slower training ride

Postby Chris C » Fri May 17, 2013 3:18 pm

11 of us yesterday, lovely evening, good tight ride achieving the fastest average speeds on this ride since records began, 18.5 and 18.2 mph. Must have been the presence of a World Champion in our midst. Moray, Annick, Eddie, Eccles Cake, Dave Subs, Andrew Ford, James Snapper, Simon Jennings, me Chris C and welcome to two riders new to this ride, Chris Higgs and Nigel Huxley. What's not to like?
Chris C

Postby Chris C » Fri May 24, 2013 2:24 pm

Masters of the Universe wanted

The Masters of the Universe were unable to play with a full pack last night so the handful that could tear themselves away from BBC2’s fifth consecutive programme on the Chelsea Flower Show joined the plebs, sorry slower, ride to combine in a mega-peleton, albeit a rather untidy one to start with. 17 of us variously throughout the ride, with a couple joining and a couple leaving. We were even riding with The Mighty Quin for a short time. Managed to get ourselves organised after a while thankfully.

A little faster than it should have been really, 18.8 mph to the foothills of Mount Pex, 18.5 to its rainy summit, a new world record. We will slow down a touch next week. Repeat: we will slow down a touch next week. Attention, Masters of the Universe - your fellow immortals need you, and Chelsea will be finished next week anyway.

Becky, Nigel, James, Paul D, El Capitano, Andrew, Jim, Neil, Ruth, Chris H, Greg Roche, Phil B, Dave Haley, Moray, Annick, me and welcome to new member Paul Cartwright.
Chris C

Postby Chris C » Fri May 31, 2013 12:00 pm

Yes, he’s back...

Fortunately the fast group were back on song last night, leaving 8 of us to follow in their testosterone charged wake. We still clocked 18.6 mph back to Siddington crossroads and 18.1 to the top.

'We’ included probably the highest proportion of ladies so far on this ride: Chris H, Ruth and Becky, remarkably fresh after her first 400k at the weekend, old dogs Nigel, Eddie, Dave Subs and me, and, as fast as ever, a very welcome return by the Wheelers’ own Lord of the Big Ring, the Wilmslow Whizzer, Ralph Walker.
Chris C

Postby Chris C » Fri Jun 07, 2013 12:03 pm

World record turnout last night for this ride. 16 riders: Andrew Ford, Rich Dearden, Paul Herd, Chris Higgs, Annick, Moray, Roger Wrenn, James, Dave Haley, Ralph, John Bags, Brian Evans, Paul Cartwright, me and welcome to two riders new both to training rides and riding in a group, Cheryl Horton and Daz Glaser. 18.1 mph back to Siddington crossroads, 17.4 to the top. We even glimpsed a blurry fast group storming back along Forty Acre Lane. What a blast.
Chris C

Postby Chris C » Fri Jun 14, 2013 12:29 pm

Just five of us to start with last night on what turned out as a nice, dry evening. Then picked up Ralph, then Matthew. After experimenting with through and off, we settled for 45-60 seconds on the front, move to the right, all other riders come through on the inside. This gave us a very steady ride, hardly altering from 17.7 mph. Final stats - 17.8 back to Siddington X, 17.6 to the top.

Annick, me, Nigel, Jim, Dave Subs, Ralph and Matthew. 60 years separate the last two; how many sports could boast that?
Chris C

Postby Chris C » Fri Jun 21, 2013 2:20 pm

17 riders last night set a new world record at a blistering 19.4 mph back to Siddington Cross and 18.7 to the top, just showing what a large group working well together can achieve, even if it did blow my self-imposed 18 mph maximum out of the proverbial surface water. A no-show by the Masters of the Universe (aka the fast training ride) meant that we were unable to gawp as usual as it hammered homewards but did allow us to absorb one lost soul waiting in Salters Lane like a schoolboy with a football on the touchline of an empty pitch. I am too discrete to mention this rider by name here but their dynastic fast-group credentials should shine from the following list.

We were: Dave Allcock, John Baguley, Mark Bethell, Nigel Bird, Becky Burns, Matthew Burt, Paul Cartwright, Annick Cottom, me, Jim Ennis, Andrew Ford, Daz Glaser, Dave Haley, Chris Higgs, Cheryl Horton, welcome to brand new member Mike Knudsen (and I mean brand new - he paid his sub in the car park to a delighted Dave H), and just one rider with a surname in the second half of the alphabet (spooky - what’s the probability of that?) Richard Thomas.

Great to see four ladies on this ride. I think five would be a record – one that I trust we will break soon. Surely there can be no finer way to spend a Thursday evening? See that I’m not wrong by joining us next week.

:wav: :wav:
Chris C

Postby Claire » Fri Jun 21, 2013 3:49 pm

After reading that report - I want to play out. Someday soon - Promise :thumleft:
Claire :)
Claire

Postby ecclespike » Sat Jun 22, 2013 7:42 pm

The stats speak for themselves glorious leader, even an unfit old sluggard like myself managed to achieve 18.2 mph average including the ride out to Broken X and the return to the happy valley, unprecedented!! Mention must be made of your good lady wife Annick who put in a storming display of souplesse
Purgamentum init, exit purgamentum.
ecclespike

Postby Mike Roberts » Sat Jun 22, 2013 10:02 pm

Methinks Eccles Pike better keep far away from the windows of the Ecuadorian embassy.
Such knowledge and reminiscence suggests a Wikipedia tendency; extraordinary for man so young.
MBobs

AKA Mr Grub Street - whatever that implies!
Mike Roberts

Postby Chris C » Fri Jun 28, 2013 2:17 pm

Last night the Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse rode to the outer limits of civilisation at the sign of the Siddington Cross at an intergalatic 18.3mph, before ascending the Holy Mountain at an overall average of 18.1.

Pale Horse – yours truly
Red Horse – Dave ‘Mudguards’ Haley
White Horse – Richard ‘Snakebite’ Thomas
Black Horse – Matthew ‘No Waterproof’ Burt.
Chris C

Postby Chris C » Fri Jul 05, 2013 2:01 pm

17 riders last night. John Baguley, Nigel Bird, Phil Bridge, Paul Cartwright, Annick Cottom, me, Jim Ennis, Andrew Ford, Daz Glaser, welcome to Damian Haigh, Dave Haley, Cheryl Horton, Nick Lynch, Mark Rowson, big welcome to cross racer Robert Rowson aged 11 with an absolutely stonking ride not missing a turn until fading at the end of the last circuit, Ralph Walker, Roger Wrenn.

18.7mph to Siddington X, 18.5 to the top.

It was just under one year ago that I had a dream of a new slower training ride; a dream whereby the famous Macclesfield Wheelers Cycling Club could welcome new riders to the joys, benefits, trials, rain and pain of training with like-minded people. I dreamt of a weekly ride that would also accommodate those returning from injury or illness, slower riders generally and faster riders happy to ride at a slower pace. I was particularly keen to see some ladies on this ride. I’m delighted that we have now run a full year of what we now call the Introductory/Slower training ride and I would like to thank all those who have supported it for getting me out of the house regularly on Thursdays.

That Introductory/Slower training ride in numbers (Year One)
Available rides – 52
Actual rides – 46
Cancelled rides due to bank holiday – 1
Cancelled rides due to ice – 4
Cancelled rides due to monsoon – 1
Average number of riders – 9
Lowest number of riders – 2
Highest number of riders – 17
Number of different riders – 68
Number of different lady riders – 9
Number of riders under 18 – 4
Number of riders new to training rides – quite a lot
Number of riders new to riding in a group – several
Total individual rides – 393
Average speed back to Siddington X – 17.5mph
Average speed back to top of Pexhill – 17.1mph
Miles per ride – 30.5
Miles ridden by individual riders – 11,987 (approx)
Punctures – not many really
Most common mechanical – mudguard (Dave Haley)
Live badgers spotted – 2
:salut:
Chris C

Postby DamianH » Sat Jul 06, 2013 11:41 am

Chris C wrote: just one rider with a surname in the second half of the alphabet (spooky - what’s the probability of that?)

Making the invalid but simple assumption that names are equally distributed between first and second half of the alphabet, the probability is 0.00013 or 1 in every ten thousand rides. Should be a while before it happens again then...
DamianH

Postby roger j wrenn » Sat Jul 06, 2013 10:36 pm

Excellent rides Chris, well lead and organised manageing to keep the correct formation with a group containing new and slower riders is no easy task, your doing an excellent job.
Cheers
  Roger
form is temporary
class is permanent
roger j wrenn
Forum Moderator

Postby Chris C » Thu Jul 11, 2013 10:31 am

Chris C wrote:Live badgers spotted – 2 :salut:

In the interests of the statistical accuracy for which the Wheelers are justly proud, and if these reports are to remain the journal of record that I trust they will, I must report that further interrogation of the evidence reveals that we spotted only one badger on the Thursday new slower training ride, the other sighting being on the Monday night intermediate training ride.

The many naturalists amongst our membership will no doubt await with bated breath a response from Kate Humble, who I have emailed today (marked urgent), imploring her help in determining whether Mr Thursday Badger and Mr Monday Badger are in fact one and the same badger.
Chris C

Postby Chris C » Thu Jul 11, 2013 10:35 am

Happy Birthday Introductory/Slower training ride.

One year old today. Celebration ride tonight at 7.05 pm.

:occasion4: :occasion4: :occasion4: :occasion4: :occasion4:
Chris C

PreviousNext

Return to Training