New slower training ride

Training rides info + discussion

Re: New slower training ride

Postby moraymac » Fri Mar 01, 2013 8:48 am

I was commissioned to bring you last nights vital statistics:

No. of participants- lots
No. of confused on-coming motorists- 8
No. of potholes avoided- 56
No. of punctures- 0 (Colin was not with us).
No. of dodgy rear mudguards- 1 (same one as last time, time to flash the cash Dave).
No. of STRAVA sector PBs- 0 (that is how it should be for this group).
Speed at the bottom of Pexhill- 27.7 kph or 17.2mph.
Speed at the top of Pexhill- 26.4kph or 16.4mph.

Stats brought to you by- I've gotts gotta Garmin and Philthat Hole of Cheshire East.
moraymac

Postby Chris C » Fri Mar 01, 2013 3:08 pm

The ghost rider

How generous of the Wheelers to engage the services of Dr Crank! When I see him at the next club garden party, assuming I can get away from the tiresome Dave Spart, I shall ask him whether medical research has yet identified what I believe is a growing condition, whereby sufferers manifest difficulty in counting people. For I fear that I may be one such sufferer. I first observed this in the summer of 1935 at a glorious Black Forest picnic when Brunhilde Aldi, my gracious hostess and matriarch of the dynasty of Pan-European grocers that still bears her name, remarked rather tartly that her husband Jürgen, although adept at 'counting cans of sauerkraut', could never remember how many children he had sired after their adored firstborn son Otto and his ne’er-do-well twin brother Blotto. Jürgen seemed almost proud of his condition, declaring to me in private later that ‘a man who can count his mistresses is not truly a player’.

I recalled dear Brunhilde and Jürgen last night when I couldn’t make the following participants of the introductory/slower training ride add up to 15: Andy Jackson, Andrew Ford, Simon Jennings, Dave Haley, Dave Hill, Matthew Burt (aged 14), Nigel Bird (aged 59), Moray Macnee (aged 159), Me (aged classified), Jim Ennis, Phil Bridge, John Jackson, Graham Elliott and Becky Burns (in fine form after her first 200k on Sunday). For more than one rider insisted at the summit of Mount Pex (where admittedly the air is thin) that there had been 15 riders, not the 14 I counted. Are these poor souls suffering from what perhaps medicine will come to know as Jürgen’s Palsy, or am I?

Or were we joined last night by a ghost rider, invisible to all but a select few?
Chris C

Postby Chris C » Thu Mar 07, 2013 10:48 pm

This week's stats: Matthew Burt, Dave 'Subs' Haley, John Jackson, Steve Jackson, Graham Elliott and me. 17.0 and 16.5.
Chris C

Postby Slowcoach » Thu Mar 07, 2013 11:25 pm

No wonder I was bloody knackered! Sorry to bail Pexhill, but I didn't want to slow you guys down. Managed to keep at 16 average until the wind really hit on the AE bypass - at which point I pretty much gave up altogether!
Wor lass wouldn't come near me when I got home, apparently I looked slightly grubby - the route has the muddiest roads in Cheshire =)
Slowcoach

Postby Chris C » Fri Mar 15, 2013 1:53 pm

Last night’s fine cadre of athletes averaging 16.8 and 16.4 mph were Becky Burns, Matthew Burt, Jim Ennis, Brian Evans, Toni Mion, Colin Yates and me. Sky watch out.
Chris C

Postby Chris C » Thu Mar 21, 2013 11:19 pm

We averaged 16.3 and 15.6 on the windiest night I can recall riding this circuit. 'We' were Toni, James, Dave Members, Andrew Ford, Nigel 'Seventh Decade' Bird, Phil '136 miles on Sunday' Bridge, and me.
Chris C

Postby Chris C » Fri Mar 29, 2013 2:06 pm

Maundy Thursday on Pexhill saw six Easter Bunnies competing for the coveted Chris Cottom Award for the Most Helpful Rider, a prize which, in the event, was a close tie between all six riders. All rode with gracious consideration for their fellow riders and were a credit to the club, with none of the solo attempts at glory that can characterise that critical last 100 yards of a Saturday Club Run, aka the cafe sprint. The Magnificent Six were: Phil Bridgeofsighs, Dave Members, Matthew '130 mile Three Loops followed by Army 1.5 mile run the next day in which he came second' Burt, me, Becky Burnt-Toast and Rich Tea Biscuit. What a team.
Chris C

Postby Chris C » Sun Mar 31, 2013 1:25 pm

PS Average speeds 16.8 and 16.3 mph.
Chris C

Postby Chris C » Fri Apr 05, 2013 2:29 pm

Seven riders last night: Nigel, Becky, Toni, Rich D, Andrew, Matthew and me. 17.1 and 16.5 mph. Pretty cold.

Next week we will start at 19.05, ie immediately after the Masters of the Universe fast ride. Don’t go with them by mistake, particularly as I shall not be there to guide you anyway. Lights still required.
Chris C

Postby ecclespike » Fri Apr 12, 2013 3:20 pm

Eight desperados braved the mean streets of Swettenham and Siddington last night. Eddie Goodwin, back for the warmer Spring weather :? ,Matthew Burt, showing no after effects from his first sorte into time trialling the night before (I believe he posted an very respectable time of 28), James Russell, Toni Mion, Rich Deardon, Moray McNee, Rich Thomas and myself, Ecclescake. According to Rich D we averaged 17.2 to the foot of Mount Pex and 16.6 by the top, and thank you gentlemen for being so gentle with me on the ascent. 8)
Purgamentum init, exit purgamentum.
ecclespike

Postby Chris C » Fri Apr 19, 2013 1:11 pm

I detected a certain frisson in my car park of choice last night as I watched some of the fittest cyclists in the Cheshire East hinterland assemble under the sign of the Broken Cross. Fortunately the fast group sped off PDQ and it was time to use my fingers and toes to count the disparate band that would form the nucleus of what chroniclers of cycling history would come to know as the Macclesfield Wheelers’ Introductory/Slower training ride of 18 April 2013 AD. Notwithstanding my well documented difficulty with large numbers, I was reasonably certain that we had no less than 13 riders (+/- 10%). The fears of any superstitious rider would then have been assuaged when we were joined by the indefatigable convenor of our Saturday Club Runs (Road) as we pushed into a headwind past Dark Lane.

Neither the wind nor a large group from Congleton Cycling Club in Congleton Road could impede us from recording an average speed back to Siddington crossroads of 17.3 mph, and 17.1 to the summit of Mount Pex. The age span of that fine cadre of riders, of whom I am uncommonly fond, and yes proud, was no less than 55 years. The athletes included: new riders Dave Boardman and 15 year old Will Holden, Matthew Burt, Rich Dearden, Andrew Ford, John Jackson, Luke Rowe, Mike Wolstenhome, Charlie Farley, Eccles Cake, Otto Aldi, Moray Eel, Becky B, warming up for her first (gulp) 300k Audax at the weekend, James Russell, Nicole Cooke, Dave Haley, Dave Spart, Captain Haddock, me Chris C, Eddie Goodwin, Piggy Malone, Edwina Biglet, Winston Groovy and Mr Potato Head.

See y’all next week. Same time, same Bat Channel.
Chris C

Postby ecclespike » Fri Apr 19, 2013 1:39 pm

I am pleased to report dear Leader that despite the impediments we encountered en route I recorded my fastest average for a good while. This including my sluggish outward and return legs to the happy valley. Ceccles Ache
ecclespike

Postby Chris C » Fri Apr 26, 2013 2:16 pm

One dozen riders last night, freshly baked: Moray, Nick Lynch (on his debut training ride and having just played tennis but still first up the hill after I couldn’t resist breaking ranks and attempting to sprint despite my rule to stick together on this ride), Annick, Becky, Jackson the Elder, Andrew F, Rich D, Dave ‘Mudguards’ Haley, Dave ‘No Relation I Imagine’ Boardman, Brian E (that’s Evans not Eno) and me.
16.9 and 16.8. Miles per hour not kilometres, this is England after all.

Would have been 13 riders but Matthew got a free upgrade to the Masters of the Universe ride and was by all accounts going well until a rebellious front mech forced his withdrawal near Ollerton, followed by a self-detaching crank on Pexhill resulting in a call to International Rescue.

Good to see two lady riders with us last night (well OK, declaration of interest, I’m married to one of them), could really do with some more; this is an Equal Opportunities ride.
Chris C

Postby ecclespike » Wed May 08, 2013 10:41 pm

Seven riders last Thursday. Eddie Goodwin, Matthew Burt, Annick, Nick Lynch, Dave "no mudguards" Hayley, Brain Evans and myself. 18.2mph average up to foot of Mt Pex, 18 at the top.
ecclespike

Postby ecclespike » Sat May 11, 2013 3:50 pm

Only a brace of riders on Thursday, Nigel" flies like a" Bird and myself. No speed records set but a very pleasant and brisk ride in some very gusty headwinds, a few squalls but dry in the main until we reached broken cross.
ecclespike

PreviousNext

Return to Training